Thread: Example Q5 Fri 21 June

Cherub

No, I am very fortunate not to have any allergies. No medical, seasonal, food or animal allergies.

Oh god yes. This is the second worse season yet, and to help it is because I have now acquired an allergy to maple tree pollen. Then on top of that we are having a dreary weather pattern to is prolonging my seasonal depression.

That is why I am actually cruising the sight right now is to get a little therapy and see if I can de-grumpy myself.

not sure about allergies, in the strict sense, but i am sensitive to irritants and other baddies.
    i've recently concluded that i now have hayfever and put it down to being sensitized through work and the pollutants and irritants there, but i may have always had it to some extent; with being sensitive to what stands as 'most of the modern world', it's hard to pinpoint anything.
    for context: walking through Boots is a literally a pain.

i used to have a reaction to garlic, in that my throat would swell if i ate it, but i think i became conditioned to it whilst working in a pizza place, leading to my eventually trying it and not having as bad a reaction as i'd expected, and from thereon, i had it more often. nowadays, it's only occasionally that i'll have a reaction.

As a kid I was allergic to everything. Not in a dangerous, anaphylactic throat-swelling suffocation kind of way, just... really irritating and annoying.

When I was about 2 or 3, I had my first egg and within a few minutes came out in a blotchy red rash all over my body and I was screaming in pain. I was allergic to cows' milk, all kinds of pollen, dust mites, anything with fur or feathers, raw apple, and even things like tomatoes would (depending on the variety) make my throat swell and my gums itch. Most animals would give me asthma and all the symptoms of hayfever.

I had a course of injections once or twice a week for a year or so when I was a kid, and as I've got older I've become less sensitive to allergens... Although someone did once open a PC next to me at work, blowing the dust all over me. I got asthma, a chest infection and every gland in my body throbbed and pulsated, leaving me in bed for a week.

I found out recently that allergies are highly correlated with anxiety disorders... As if, when the mind is over-active with anxious concerns, the body correspondingly becomes over-active in trying to defend against biological "invasions"... Crazy...
    Last edited by tiny; 22-Jun-2013 at 04:41. Reason: Abruptly stopped mid-sentence and forgot to finish!

Never really had any although I do sneeze every now and then. Altough after I retired I did become allergic too work. (ha ha)

Like Tiny, as I child I tested allergic to almost everything, including eggs, peanuts, spices, grass, pollen and the list went on. Back in the day, I'd go to the allergy doctor and they'd start doing the subcutaneous needle injections, twenty up each arm, totaling 40. This started when I was 4 years old. I'm deadly allergic to horse, and when the first Polio serum came out, it was made in horse base. I had to have a special shot made in egg albumin base, something I was also allergic to, just not fatally. I carry a card saying I'm allergic to horse. A horse burger would be fatal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I found out recently that allergies are highly correlated with anxiety disorders... As if, when the mind is over-active with anxious concerns, the body correspondingly becomes over-active in trying to defend against biological "invasions"... Crazy...
    yeah, i sussed that out years ago, just by self-observation (with a bit of the ol' eastern mysticism thrown in).
    it's hard to seperate my physical being from my mental/emotional being; i'm volatile and highly reactionary in every sense.
    and i think that's always been key to my susceptibility to bacterial infection, or rather, my reaction to them. my body just goes for the all-out kill, giving me the symptoms of pain, inflammation and oozing pus.
    and as such stretches into my personality, it makes me not good to be around a lot of people (and it's a wonder how i've not killed anyone). and, naturally, holding that anger in only turns it against oneself. a nasty catch-22.

anyway, let's raise our glasses to stress and heart-attacks

They say that being "too clean around one's living quarters" has increased the allergy cases, because our bodies are not able to fight a foreign body and become immune to it, so when we are introduced to the allergen in question, we can be highly allergic?

I am allergic to iodine, and suffer with hayfever, I also have a mild case of chemical sensitivity.

If it grows natively in Kansas, Oklahoma, or Arkansas I'm allergic to it. I'm also allergic to the Pneumonia and Flu vaccines, and pretty much any medicine that contains egg products. I'm also allergic to most fruits, and quite a few vegetables.