Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adult vs Baby Sized Pacifiers

Default Adult vs Baby Sized Pacifiers

Well, I've been wanting to try a pacifier for a while now and have been looking around the net for one, but I quickly noticed that adult pacifiers are darn expensive. I also noticed that a lot of us just use baby pacifiers, so, what's the difference? Is it really worth all the extra money for an adult size?

The baby sized pacifiers don't fit properly in your mouth, because your mouth is much bigger than a baby's mouth. You don't really get the same sensation that a pacifier would give an actual baby because of this. Also your jaw may hurt after a bit because of the way it doesn't properly fit into your mouth and you basically have to hold it there with great effort.

Sucking your thumb is close, but not exactly the same, but your thumb grows with you so it stays in proportion. So stick just the nail of your thumb into your mouth and suck on that and see what I mean - it's not the same and may even hurt or be uncomfortable after a while.

The adult-sized pacifiers are totally ridiculously expensive, that's true. I haven't found any sites that offer them at a reasonable price. But they do last a long, long time if you don't bite into them with your teeth. IMO it's worth the investment if you are an AB who enjoys the idea of a pacifier and think you'd enjoy it. You should only really need to buy one or two for a few years at a time. 60 bucks isn't TOO bad for a few years of fun and enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Akikitsune View Post
    Well, I've been wanting to try a pacifier for a while now and have been looking around the net for one, but I quickly noticed that adult pacifiers are darn expensive. I also noticed that a lot of us just use baby pacifiers, so, what's the difference? Is it really worth all the extra money for an adult size?
    For me, no. I much prefer a baby-size one to the adult kind. But a lot of ABs prefer the adult ones. So it really depends on personal preference.

The nipple size is all that's really noticeable, and if you really suck on one a lot, it's best to get the proper sized one; Or else you risk causing yourself to have toothaches (Which still happens with Nuk 5s even, just less readily as it disperses the force against your teeth caused by you suckling).

That said, I'd recommend trying out a baby sized one first, and if you find yourself using it a lot, to purchase a Nuk 5 eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    For me, no. I much prefer a baby-size one to the adult kind. But a lot of ABs prefer the adult ones. So it really depends on personal preference.
    Personally I find that the NUK Size 3 are too small. I do buy them and use them, but my absolute favorite must be the NUK Maxi Trainer (Size 4).

They were made and sold before the Medic Pro line made its debut. The Maxi Trainer were actually made for older children (and came in the right colors too).
    If I remember correctly they were to be used by children 4 years and up who needed help to stop thumb sucking, I guess they used those Maxi Trainer pacifiers to transition from thumb to pacifier and then phasing the pacifier out entirely.

The size of the nipple on these bigger pacifiers fit my mouth perfectly. The smaller of the two NUK Medic Pro pacifiers would probably be the same as the Maxi Trainer pacifier, but I don't like those as they come with a plain white/transparent shield and ring, and they remind me of hospitals more than being little...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akikitsune View Post
    Well, I've been wanting to try a pacifier for a while now and have been looking around the net for one, but I quickly noticed that adult pacifiers are darn expensive.
    What I did instead of buying my bigger pacifiers (NUK Maxi Trainer/Medic Pro Size 4/5) from an online store was, I actually e-mailed the importer/distributor for NUK pacifiers and bottles and asked if they could make a special order. They wanted $7.45 per pacifier with a minimum order of 6 pacifiers so ~$44.70 + about $6 for shipping the last time I checked with them. I think $7.45 per pacifier is pretty reasonable. :-)

I'm in Sweden so I e-mailed the Swedish distributor. You should contact the distributor that is responsible for importing and distributing the NUK products where you live.

i still have a pacifier from when i was little and it fits in my mouth fine

- - - Updated - - -

ans this i what my pacifier looks like http://www.thenational.ae/deployedfiles/Assets/Richmedia/Image/PacifierPinkPastelNipple.jpg

apart from now its got a gold ribbon attached to it which has bin on it since i was 15 and i still carry it around with me

Eh, I prefer the baby-sized ones myself, I get the feeling if I got a AB Paci it'd be too big for me, which is not what I want in a paci xD

I'll just stick with my AVENT 8-12+ months paci thank you :P

As far as I'm concerned baby pacifiers simply have nipples that are not big enough for an adult mouth. However they are relatively expensive so I echo Eulogy's suggestion: get a baby pacifier (for example, get a size 3 Nuk if you're interesting in getting an adult-sized Nuk) and if you like it look into getting an adult sized one.

Pacifiers are simply not for everyone: some people won't like them.

I have both a NUK3 and NUK5 and the NUK5 fits in my mouth the best. I sleep with it all night and it is still in my mouth when I wake. Yes, I wish it was blue instead of white. I bought a package of 2 NUK3 at Walmart for about $4 U.S. and 1 NUK5 online for 20. It was expensive but it's worth it for the enjoyment it gives me.

I'm actually thinking of experimenting with coloring the NUK5 when the nipple finally wears out and I get a new one. Many years ago, at work, we would put white nylon pieces in laundry dye for several days and color them. I would try using food coloring instead to make sure it was safe.

So,

I have a nuk 5...and for me that's even a bit small...ask anyone I've got a big mouth!

Anyhow, you can go to pacifiers r us and get the nuk 5 in a baby style shield...

My nuk5 is just the white one but I've had them from paci r us before...

Alo, yes you can dye the shield, not sure about the nipple though...

I dye plastics from time to time, near boiling water and rit works well...not sure if it's good to eat, but it's fine on skin all the time for clothing ans such, don't see that a shield is much different...

B