Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adult babies and the environment.

Default Adult babies and the environment.

Anytime I've search for ďadult babyĒ online and I come across articles (which usually bashes us in some form), the most common thing I read is about how we are heartless towards the environment with our disposable diapers.

Iíve never really given it a real thought up until now and in a way, I guess it could be a valid argument. My only issue with this is, yes, I understand Iím contributing (no matter how small) to the problem, but I wear less than five disposable diapers a year, if at all sometimes.

To me, even though itís plastic waste in the landfill ether way you cut it, I just canít see how that would come anywhere close to a real baby who is stuck in them 24/7. I couldnít say for sure, but I believe the statistics between how many disposable diapers the modern baby uses vs. an adult baby, would be staggering.

While knowing itís just a B.S. excuse to bash what we do, I canít help but to wonder about it.

In my case, disposable are convenient because A. I donít own my own washer and dryer. B. Iím WAY too chicken to take a laundry bag full of adult cloth diapers to my local laundry mat.

I think that in moderation a handful of adults choosing to wear diapers isn't going to make a big difference on the environment. It's an important point to consider however and one of the few that is tempting me to stop wearing 24/7...

I suppose the way to figure something like this out would be to figure out how much a used baby diaper weighs and how much space it takes up, then multiply that by the number of diapers a baby would go through in a year. Then, one would do the same for used adult diapers-how much they weigh, how much space they take, how many an adult goes through in a year. A comparison of those data points would give you a pretty solid answer.

I imagine an ABDL that wears once or twice a week is not putting quite as much strain on the environment as a baby in diapers full-time. But, a used baby diaper is considerably lighter and smaller than is a used adult diaper. I can imagine one used adult diaper being equivalent to about four used baby diapers. It seems a 24/7-wearing ABDL only wearing disposables would far outpace, or at least keep up with, the environmental effects of the baby. A used baby diaper weighs very little and is pretty small, whereas a used adult diaper weighs notably more and is quite a bit larger.

As it stands, diapers make up 1-2 percent of landfills. In your particular case, yeah, you are doing environmental damage, but five diapers a year is pretty minimal. As for taking cloth diapers to the laundromat, why are you scared? It's not like everyone else is looking at your laundry and judging you, and even if they are, fuck 'em. I used to wash my cloth diapers in the community laundry machines in my apartment building, and I never had any problems. I even had a couple of instances where I know people handled them because they were moved from washer to dryer or drying to my basket. No one ever said anything or gave me a bad time. People generally don't care.

Zpeed

Landfill? We burn everything.. = Electricity and Heating
    So, I'll wear and know that my diaper will soon be in someones house :p

Quote Originally Posted by Zpeed View Post
    Landfill? We burn everything.. = Electricity and Heating
    So, I'll wear and know that my diaper will soon be in someones house :p
    Or maybe they'll start using the mushrooms to break down the diapers. Who knows...?

Oyster Mushrooms Can Break Down Disposable Diapers in 4 Months | Inhabitots

Diapers are a well-publicized example of waste; it's too easy to focus on them while ignoring other things. Most of what we find on store shelves these days is ridiculously over-packaged. Ignoring your diapers, how much plastic are you throwing away each week? Probably a lot! Particularly as most AB/DLs are not wearing 24x7 like baby-babies, I would imagine the vast majority of our collective landfill footprint is not from diapers, but rather from other things -- milk jugs, various wrappers, etc. And I would argue that those things are more discretionary than diapers, particularly for those of us who consider diapers a turn-on.

So, if you feel the least bit bad about tossing out diapers, I'd suggest looking at the other bad stuff you're throwing away and doing what you can to minimize that. There's probably a lot of opportunity there to make yourself feel better!

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonybaby View Post
    Anytime I've search for “adult baby” online and I come across articles (which usually bashes us in some form), the most common thing I read is about how we are heartless towards the environment with our disposable diapers.
    That's weird. When I search "adult baby" and I come across articles the most common thing I read about is adults who wear diapers. What search engine are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Diapers are a well-publicized example of waste; it's too easy to focus on them while ignoring other things. Most of what we find on store shelves these days is ridiculously over-packaged. Ignoring your diapers, how much plastic are you throwing away each week? Probably a lot! Particularly as most AB/DLs are not wearing 24x7 like baby-babies, I would imagine the vast majority of our collective landfill footprint is not from diapers, but rather from other things -- milk jugs, various wrappers, etc. And I would argue that those things are more discretionary than diapers, particularly for those of us who consider diapers a turn-on.

So, if you feel the least bit bad about tossing out diapers, I'd suggest looking at the other bad stuff you're throwing away and doing what you can to minimize that. There's probably a lot of opportunity there to make yourself feel better!
    Like I said before, diapers (the majority of which are baby diapers) make up 1-2 percent of landfills. There are many other things we throw away without thinking about it that pile up way more quickly. I mean, just think about how much trash you make in a week. Mr. Aurkarm and I make 1-2 of the 40 gallon wheeled dumpsters of trash in a week (usually it's one with just a bit in the second), as well as a bin full of recyclables. That is just the two of us, and I try to put whatever is recyclable in the recycle bin. Mind that Mr. Aurkarm wears 24/7, which makes up 1/4-1/3 of our trash. Still, two people that don't eat a lot of take-out still wind up making a lot of trash.