Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: The evolution of man to ape.

  1. #1

    Default The evolution of man to ape.

    Science fiction often depicts humans of the future as creatures with enlarged foreheads, symbolic of the belief that we are evolving into smarter human beings. Recent studies, however, indicate just the opposite. It appears that the average IQ has dropped 14 points over the last 100 years in people of western nations. One factor cited is that more intelligent women tend to have fewer children than less intelligent women.

    I would argue that technology is also a contributing factor in the decrease in human intelligence. 200 years ago our drive to develop interchangeable parts for our increasingly complex weapons led to machines capable of producing parts, assembly line techniques, and mass production. Craftsmanship, and its associated skills and wisdom, was on the way out. Further development led to computers and automation. Thinking is no longer required for the production of goods... or survival.

    We are going through a period of rapid evolution, but what's evolving isn't us - it's our technology. We are becoming fatter, stupider and less fit for survival, while our machines are becoming more "intelligent" and self reliant.

    Is it possible we are evolving into more apelike creatures?

  2. #2

    Default

    I don't think we could evolve into something so useful and in tune with its surroundings. Humans have been a destructive invasive species for quite some time. I just hope as a species we grow up before destroying the planet or ourselves.

  3. #3

    Default

    I think if we were turning back into apes it would be called devolution.

    Also, I think you're wrong, but I'm heading to work soon, so I can't respond as fully as I would like. Later tonight or tomorrow I shall reply with a wonderful answer that will blow your mind.

  4. #4
    CrinklySiren

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Science fiction often depicts humans of the future as creatures with enlarged foreheads, symbolic of the belief that we are evolving into smarter human beings. Recent studies, however, indicate just the opposite. It appears that the average IQ has dropped 14 points over the last 100 years in people of western nations. One factor cited is that more intelligent women tend to have fewer children than less intelligent women.

    I would argue that technology is also a contributing factor in the decrease in human intelligence. 200 years ago our drive to develop interchangeable parts for our increasingly complex weapons led to machines capable of producing parts, assembly line techniques, and mass production. Craftsmanship, and its associated skills and wisdom, was on the way out. Further development led to computers and automation. Thinking is no longer required for the production of goods... or survival.

    We are going through a period of rapid evolution, but what's evolving isn't us - it's our technology. We are becoming fatter, stupider and less fit for survival, while our machines are becoming more "intelligent" and self reliant.

    Is it possible we are evolving into more apelike creatures?
    I wouldnt go so far as to say technology is making us stupider... maybe its making us fatter and lazier, but even such a claim cannot be applied to 100% of humanity, there are still a good percentage of people who retain intelligence and fit living... the problem is that most of the time you find people with one or the other, and to be honest the need for survival skills in this day and age are nearly obsolete, unless by survival skills you mean skills to survive humanity itself. Did you know that while back then in the primitive stages of man, anxiety was the difference between life or death, and now we are constantly on high alert stages due to our own humanity? Anxiety causes a lot of damage to the human body and its a contributing factor to why a lot of us have trouble concentrating and why a lot of people are incompetent.

    I think the real issue is that government isnt funding education enough... teachers should be one of the highest paid professions because they are the ones who are molding future minds to be either intelligent or ignorant, and enabling parents are to blame as well for thinking their kids are "saints". Hell, even you have shown that you are above the basic level of intelligence by making this observational post, the problem is that in public, people put up these defensive barriers caused by anxiety because the majority of people have this idea that everyone is out to get them and no one is to be trusted... so we revert back to our primitive protective instincts and it leaves us open for judgement, but i can guarantee you that the world is not as stupid as you may think.

    Incidentally however, we are getting dumber and believe it or not, it has absolutely nothing to do with technology or the advancement of it.

    5 Things You Won't Believe Are Making You Dumber | Cracked.com

    Conclusively, are we becoming fatter? Yes, but thats a result of the food we eat and the government not moderating or even protecting what we put in our bodies, because if you look at statistics you will see that the US is the fattest country in the world with Mexico in second place but not nearly as high in numbers as the US.

    are we becoming stupider? Yes but you have to realize that the education system in the us is quickly turning into shit. Look around the world and you'll notice that there are much smarter places than the US. So i would have to correct your statement by saying that "the US is getting stupider". But technology is everywhere so its clearly not the cause.

    Are we becoming less fit for survival? Probably, but the need for survival skills in the same conditions as back then are not entirely necessary unless we happen to lose all sense of civilization (which is a possibility in the future) but until then we don't really need it, and you would actually be surprised how "survival" educated a lot of young people are, not to mention that the survival we use today is to protect ourselves against our very own society.

    Technology may be making us lazier, but not all technology is to blame, and technology almost has no effect on why humanity is getting fatter or stupider... and I sir, am no apelike creature!

  5. #5

    Default

    Just an extremely honest opinion...
    The idea of evolving,on the whole, leaves me baffled. The second law of thermodynamics tells us that the whole universe in heading toward disorder and entropy. If we believe these basic laws of science, shouldn't we believe that humans started out as an intellegent, superior being? A being that was given wisdom and understanding to know the difference between good and evil? A being that felt passions like no other? A desire to give and help?
    Now that the world is no longer new things continue to dwindle down and spiral into something not as perfect as the young world. This is because nothing and no one is perfect. The world was not corrupted by today's society, but by sin. Humans, the intellegent beings that we are have to make choices. No, we don't always have a choice in how we feel, but we can choose our responses. We are not some puppets, our minds controlled, our very movements forced. Yay! We have a free will!!
    For a long time humans did not inven because man's soul drive is sustenance. After a system to obtain said food was established, then he was able to have the time to dream, think, and imagine....allowing man to create and invent. There is still some inventing going on, but the way the world runs today, who has the time??? One would have to miss his favorite shows, postpone checking his Facebook account, get up early, not obsess over calorie intake, save up money, have a disciplined schedule, walk around, have less homework, and the list goes on. O! Lets not forget actually thinking about others, giving back, give a hand, smile at strangers, introduce yourself, volunteer for free, accept those who seem different (while still having your own opinion), and, above all else, show love to everybody. Finally, when he's mastered all of that, to be humble.
    No single soul could do this alone. He would need that help of an all powerful Creator and the support of a few good pals.
    So, while I don't think we are evolving into an ape like creature, I would have to say that we are on the decline, for many reasons.

  6. #6

    Default

    The Second Law states overall Entropy is increasing: you can decrease Entropy in a localized system at the cost of increasing Entropy elsewhere

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter
    Recent studies, however, indicate just the opposite. It appears that the average IQ has dropped 14 points over the last 100 years in people of western nations. One factor cited is that more intelligent women tend to have fewer children than less intelligent women.
    The IQ test has outdated methodology and it's attempts to measure "intelligence" are in need of an evolutionary surge itself.



    We are going through a period of rapid evolution, but what's evolving isn't us - it's our technology. We are becoming fatter, stupider and less fit for survival, while our machines are becoming more "intelligent" and self reliant. Is it possible we are evolving into more apelike creatures?
    A future based on the movie "Idiocracy" and a future based on the culture of The Borg (or Ghost in the Shell) seem plausible, but I'm leaning towards the latter with the Singularity in mind.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Recent studies, however, indicate just the opposite. It appears that the average IQ has dropped 14 points over the last 100 years in people of western nations.
    Umm. No it hasn't. It's exactly the opposite, in fact. Over the last 100 years, the average IQ in most countries has increased every single time it was standardized again. It's called the Flynn Effect.



    Quote Originally Posted by BebbyDoll View Post
    Just an extremely honest opinion...
    The idea of evolving,on the whole, leaves me baffled. The second law of thermodynamics tells us that the whole universe in heading toward disorder and entropy. If we believe these basic laws of science, shouldn't we believe that humans started out as an intellegent, superior being?
    Intelligence has nothing to do with entropy. Like, absolutely nothing. Also, entropy leads to a decrease in disorder. Entropy means a decrease in energy, which is a system's ability to change. Higher entropy means less energy, means less change, means less disorder. For example, to start an avalanche, you have to decrease its local entropy by introducing some form of disorder, meaning energy from another system (like your body by punching it, though I wouldn't really recommend punching an avalanche about to happen =P ).

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    We are going through a period of rapid evolution, but what's evolving isn't us - it's our technology. We are becoming fatter, stupider and less fit for survival, while our machines are becoming more "intelligent" and self reliant.
    Self fulfilling prophecy, kind of. However... as mentioned, this would be a devolution, which is unlikely about to happen, it's always an evolution, just not what we may wish for... not that much to say, besides:
    I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.



    Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    A future based on the movie "Idiocracy" and a future based on the culture of The Borg (or Ghost in the Shell) seem plausible, but I'm leaning towards the latter with the Singularity in mind.
    Besides that those are some possibilities, that may occur, and since, the last sounds a lot like 1984, so one big united culture.... There are some discourses that say, that this may not happen after all. And one specific, which says that Huxley (Autor of "A brave new world") may be right, after all.
    Since in the end, a lot of this works already this way... or what's it like?
    Are we depraved of information? No we're drowned in a senseless amount of it. Especially how worthy the world wide web may be on some points, in the end it's full of that much wrong informations, conspiracies, theories and goals... so what's the truth ultimately? It's drowned in a see of irrelevance. If there even may be one true point after all....
    Since this could still be all an illusion, yay! I'm just kidding ^_-

    But especially about the one united being, one big culture, a big singularity... despite the fact that this could be one of the best things for humanity, since we would have no more disputes, no difference and no indifference, with everything, which follows on that route, besides that we wouldn't be "free" anymore... well it's not way, we're trivial. How important is culture for us today? What will most likely happen if there will be no force, which will it make important again?
    Briefly summarized: Meaningless stuff is our culture for a way to big amount, since people simply strive for pleasure. And that's how you control the average people.

    However in this system, there are still people with an exquisite and astonishing mind, which maybe would end up as some opposing force. But never forget the big factor of man's almost infinite appetite for distractions and that this simply leads for a failing to take this misconceptions into account.

    Though I disagree on this part a little bit, from this theory... At least at the moment, maybe we'll change that way, so it really works this way in the end, since it's most likely that a real VR come's true anytime in the future...


    And sorry that this sounds kinda depressing ._.

  10. #10

    Default

    As far as the US becoming stupider, well, I place most of that on the political BS of "everyone is equal" taken to the extreme. Everyone does not learn things at the same pace or the same way; one might learn best by books, another by being hands on and a 3rd by a mix of the two. There used to be separate classes for students based on how "smart" they were in a subject, not sure if there are anymore.

    The issue I see is instead of helping struggling kids catch up, we are dumbing classes down to their level which means the smarter ones are not being challenged so they stop putting as much work in learning or increasing their own knowledge.

    All this said, I doubt we are evolving/devolving into anything except another form of human, but then I never fully bought into the monkey into man idea of evolution as much as evolution as a form of adaptation.

Similar Threads

  1. Need help with an evolution question.
    By Fragarach in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-May-2012, 11:47
  2. Evolution vs Creationism
    By StrawberryRaven in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 235
    Last Post: 24-May-2011, 18:18
  3. Human Evolution
    By Snaps in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2010, 23:25
  4. Evolution of Bodybuilding (picture intensive)
    By Chillhouse in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18-Mar-2010, 03:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.