Thread: apprehension

Default apprehension

So I have never really talked much to any one about this so sorry if I don't come across clear this is kinda new and weird for me. So I have always had a kind of bowel urge incontinence where if I need to go I need to go NOW or I'm having an accident, which I did a lot as a kid. So now I'm in my twenties and it still hasn't changed much. What has helped is the fact that with my job and tons of hobbies and starting collage I only eat once or twice a day so it kinda slows the whole process down. So the problem comes into play that when I have a normal diet the same old problem comes about. A few years ago When I got my own place I decided to trying diapers, and it did help tons I didn't have to worry or stress about it as much if it happened it happened and my clothes were still fine. I guess where I'm going with this is I just feel odd or bad or weird or something. I don't know how to explain it about wearing them. So I don't often. Plus I have no idea how to even explain this to my mom who has a huge part in my life and would end up finding out some how. I mean she knew that I use to have accidents every day as a kid I just never could explain why and got better hiding it as I got older. So is this just a weird me thing or is it kinda common. Is there even a right answer for this? Should I even be wearing them or need them gah Idk. I guess i just need to talk about it?

To me if you have bowel IC I would seek professional help. Not having a proper diet will cause you problems later on. Wearing diapers will give you a security blanket though it's
    not the real answer.

I would echo oleman72 only because you're addressing a problem at the risk of a proper diet. You may also be risking, albeit slowly, long term damage. If your mom knows your history perhaps you can approach her from that perspective. Mothers, of all ages, can be outstanding resources. Besides, I get the impression from your comments, she would not be too surprised. I wish you luck.

Hugs
    Mary Beth

This sounds very similar to me. I have had bowel urge incontinence my entire life and countless accidents in my pants/diapers. In my case, I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and it flares up and dies down on an irregular basis. While it can be hard to predict, large meals, fatty foods and fried foods tend to trigger it. You may have the same thing, but as others have mentioned, seek a gastroenterologist since bowel incon can be a symptom of many diseases.

I would caution about eating only once a day. Like drinking more water for those of us who are urinary urge incon, this may sound counter-intuitive, but it is generally better to eat many smaller meals a day than one or two large meals. This would be like me drinking a lot less to manage my overactive bladder. All I get from doing that is dehydration.

I can sympathise - not that the is much help! I have much the same sort of "urgency/lack of control if I can't get to a toilet very quickly problems" and find trying to avoid difficulties by changing diet etc. is like playing Russian Roulette. Wearing a diaper makes it possible to feel a little more confident and as I need one for urinary reasons changing to a brand that is better suited for fecal incontinence was a sensible precaution. BUT do please see a relevant physician because not only might there be an underlying cause - but it might not be serious and could even be dealt with so that you need not continue to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    This sounds very similar to me. I have had bowel urge incontinence my entire life and countless accidents in my pants/diapers. In my case, I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and it flares up and dies down on an irregular basis. While it can be hard to predict, large meals, fatty foods and fried foods tend to trigger it. You may have the same thing, but as others have mentioned, seek a gastroenterologist since bowel incon can be a symptom of many diseases.

I would caution about eating only once a day. Like drinking more water for those of us who are urinary urge incon, this may sound counter-intuitive, but it is generally better to eat many smaller meals a day than one or two large meals. This would be like me drinking a lot less to manage my overactive bladder. All I get from doing that is dehydration.
    I second this I have had IBS for many years and when it flares up I get what I call a 30 second warning - great if I am at home but any other time I would beat Mo Farah in any long distance sprint to get to the toilet - Don't resort to diapers until you get it checked out - there are many meds to help slow dowm or eliminate the spasms so talk to your Dr :-)

kakapo

Hi yo74,
    I am kakapo and I think you should just be straight with your mum. Just tell her outright what is going on. I'm sure she will appreciate that you are honest with her, and after all, she is your mum. So she loves you unconditionally and is not going to flip out or anything like that. I think she would be relieved to know what is going with you, and if you are incontinent, then yes, I would say you need them.
    I hope this has helped. [removed]
    Last edited by Nihlus; 13-Jun-2013 at 17:55. Reason: Removed email address