Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ABDL possible personality trait / Definition. Help

Default ABDL possible personality trait / Definition. Help

Preface: I had a Eureka! moment tonight. As a few of you know I have a rudimentary background/understanding in Psychology, Sociology, and The Functions of the Human Brain. I have been fascinated with it since I was 16. Since discovering my own DL tendencies, exploring them, and finding this site, I have been uber curious in it's origins and psychological definitions of origin. Why and How can such an odd kink be so powerfull? Where does it fit into our psyche? And, most importantly, what are the reasons of origin?

I have been rather tormented at's it's lack of definition or area of study in Psychology for some time.

Tonight I had a thought on a possible set of traits leading to the realm of ABDL'ism and its related kinks.

The following topics are rudimentary thoughts on the subject and I am curious as to how many you can relate to/with.

If any do not pertain to you please note it in a post. If you have anything to add to the list please state or describe it.

You have always had (as far as you can remember) a propensity for toys, trinkets, gadgets or non-adult related items and lasting into adulthood. This category could include hanging-on to childhood momentos or sentimental items.

You have delved into fun-filled activities as a child/young-adult even though they were past the age of enjoying them or would be considered odd by most. These could include collecting items as a hobby even though they may have been considered a waste of time by your early peers. They could also include playing fantasie based games, either by yourself or with a trusted friend.

You ran against-the-grain. This could include having different interests that most of your peers. Perhaps you weren't afraid of scary or haunting scenarios; you were willing to explore things or places that would scare most people. You desired to be different and revelled in it.

You preferred one-on-one interactions with friends. This may largely include being more comfortable being able to share your thoughts and whims with a close friend rather than being amongst a group. Not to leave out social-anxiety; if loud and chaotic groups of people were not in your comfort level.

You at times were most comfortable by yourself and in-your-own-world. This could be best defined as needing the feeling of escaping to your 'own place'. The category here could also include being introverted at times.

Indifference was a 'norm'. The world seemed/seems to move in a direction that was/is a relatively shallow way. Society seems to have little thought or creativity to it. You perhaps have always sought a more pleasant definition.

You have been more interested in 'the experience' of life. Perhaps you were more interested in personal curiosities and paid attention to the details of life and were occasionally absorbed in them.

This is a short-list of examples that came to me while listening to music and getting away with my thoughts. I will have the chance to add more later.

The Eureka! moment was when I realized that ABDL'ism may be more of a personality trait than a trauma induced or discovered behavior. It may be determined even before we had any reason to pay specific attention to it or question it. It may be as unique as the development of preferences such as color favoritism. The path to adulthood is paved with seemingly unoticed influences in our eventual desires or interests. In this unique desire there must be a common personality trait somewhere.

I was under the early impression that trauma may have played a significant role in ABDL'ism but later concluded that many kids are subject to a certain level of it and does not lead to a noticable high number of those becoming interested in the kink of ABDL itself.

So, after this lengthy post I am curious on your assessment of it.

Edit: For those of you who are interested in the Sociology end of it; these traits are by-far and in-large at the child spectrum of it. Natural Child and Rebellious Child. It makes sense here.

Speaking purely for my own personal experience in life:

Quote Originally Posted by ilostthesheriff View Post
    You have always had (as far as you can remember) a propensity for toys, trinkets, gadgets or non-adult related items and lasting into adulthood. This category could include hanging-on to childhood momentos or sentimental items.
    Nope. Actually, I liked adult items much better as a kid than toys. Still do.

You have delved into fun-filled activities as a child/young-adult even though they were past the age of enjoying them or would be considered odd by most. These could include collecting items as a hobby even though they may have been considered a waste of time by your early peers. They could also include playing fantasie based games, either by yourself or with a trusted friend.
    Nope.

You ran against-the-grain. This could include having different interests that most of your peers. Perhaps you weren't afraid of scary or haunting scenarios; you were willing to explore things or places that would scare most people. You desired to be different and revelled in it.
    Nope. Actually, I remember spending most of my childhood desperately trying to fit in with other kids- not easy with super overprotective parents.

You preferred one-on-one interactions with friends. This may largely include being more comfortable being able to share your thoughts and whims with a close friend rather than being amongst a group. Not to leave out social-anxiety; if loud and chaotic groups of people were not in your comfort level.
    Yes, but that's because I'm an introvert. I don't see how that would be related to ABDL. I'm just an INTP.

You at times were most comfortable by yourself and in-your-own-world. This could be best defined as needing the feeling of escaping to your 'own place'. The category here could also include being introverted at times.
    See previous part about introvert.

Indifference was a 'norm'. The world seemed/seems to move in a direction that was/is a relatively shallow way. Society seems to have little thought or creativity to it. You perhaps have always sought a more pleasant definition.
    Absolutely not. The adult world always fascinated me and I could never wait to be a part of it. It always seemed deeper than I could ever comprehend. Actually, I would go so far as to say that I'm constantly surprised that the adult world isn't as complex as I always thought it was. Eg: Holy shit, adults don't always know exactly what they're doing!

You have been more interested in 'the experience' of life. Perhaps you were more interested in personal curiosities and paid attention to the details of life and were occasionally absorbed in them.
    Yes, I was like this.

The Eureka! moment was when I realized that ABDL'ism may be more of a personality trait than a trauma induced or discovered behavior.
    I'm of the opinion that ABDL is polyphyletic. For some of us it's a response to trauma. For me, it's sort-of a discovered behavior (I remember being into diapers as far back as my memory goes). Perhaps for you this "personality trait" holds true.

CrinklySiren

You have always had (as far as you can remember) a propensity for toys, trinkets, gadgets or non-adult related items and lasting into adulthood.
    Yes, ive always enjoyed all types of fun yet meaningless gadgets and toys, and ive always had an affinity for plushies among another long list of things.

Yep, and still do.

Always, though i did have internal conflicts with myself at times, most of the time i ignored it and i was known as the kid in school who was "out there" but I was also a social butterfly.

Ive always enjoyed talking with close friends more than talking with large groups of random people, but thats not to say that im not capable of doing so. I enjoy having in depth conversations with one friend as well as a group of friends, in fact very often i go out during the week and i meet random people who i end up hanging out with the rest of the night.

So i guess the short version is that I enjoy both situations on different scales.

While I do like having time to myself to do what I want to do without having to entertain or host someone else either by responsibility or association, I usually prefer to not be alone because i like to share my life with others.

YES! SO MUCH THIS! Ive always felt like the world was so ROBOTIC and creativity/diversity was SO hard to find no matter where I went, hell i live in miami where its supposed to be a "cultural melting pot" but i saw more culture in a white georgian town than i ever have in my short 24 years of living in this swamp! Superficial garbage >_< sorry, this one really hit the nail.

Definitely this. Sometimes TOO absorbed.

The Eureka! moment was when I realized that ABDL'ism may be more of a personality trait than a trauma induced or discovered behavior. It may be determined even before we had any reason to pay specific attention to it or question it. It may be as unique as the development of preferences such as color favoritism. The path to adulthood is paved with seemingly unoticed influences in our eventual desires or interests. In this unique desire there must be a common personality trait somewhere.

So, after this lengthy post I am curious on your assessment of it.
    This was something i learned years ago lol Speaking from personal experience, ive never experienced anything traumatic in my life that could have led to this little side of me and furthermore if i ever did experience any traumatic experiences (for example: being bullied MOST of my life, which i was) they were simply things that occured AFTER already having had an interest/affinity/admiration for diapers, baby things and things of infancy or childhood. I was never abused in any way nor did I live a life of turmoil, and the worst that ever happened to me was that i didnt see my dad very often because of business trips but when I did see him, he was like any other father. This may be the reason i trust women more easily than I trust men, but still is unrelated to my little side.

Also i might add that because of being bullied I have grown to be a skeptic and a cynic and very hateful of humanity, HOWEVER, this is strongly offset by my innocent little side which allows me continue being the loving, kind, caring, and generous person that I am (or so im constantly told I am by friends and family),and while I have the ability to conjure words that could cause a person to step back forever, my little side keeps my mean dark side from consuming me and for that I am grateful. Also, i think it bears to mention that there is a significant difference between being AB/DL and being a Little. Being a little is most definitely a personality trait and is something that is happening all the time or most of the time in the littles mind, and it doesn't really require external properties such as diapers or blankets or plushies, but its really a mind-set. Hence the need for creating two branches (being ABDL and Inner Child) as oppose to categorizing all of it into the AB/DL title, and also the reason why there are AB's who dont want cribs or diapers or anything like that, and there are DL's who dont want to be babies. The spectrum is actually much broader than that which is why AB/DL (as its current singular title) is known as one of the only "fetishes" that can actually not necessarily be a "fetish". Sorry for this long response xD You probably already know all this, ust thought i'd speak my mind :P

I think it's great that you're trying to figure this stuff out. I'm into psychology also, and I find this kind of stuff fascinating. Progress can't be made if no one is trying to make it! I'm not entirely convinced that your theories are entirely accurate, but I'll take a look at how they apply to me.

I actually tried to 'put away childish things' at an age that is probably a bit earlier than normal. It was mostly to conform to my older siblings and society in general, or at least my perception of society. Whether or not that means I had a propensity is probably debatable. I did hang onto some of my toys, though. I'm sort of a hoarder though, which has a lot to do with my anxiety issues.

I actually specifically avoided doing this because of how I perceived other people would think of me. I had some neurological impairments that made me a bit delayed in some areas, and I sought whatever way I could to make myself appear older to get along better with the adults around me. I couldn't stand people who were my age or younger nearly as well as matured adults. I felt like a matured adult in many ways, and wanted to be one. Ironic now that I'm a 'matured adult' who seeks to be more childlike.

This doesn't really fit me much at all in terms of scares/horrors. I mean, I was a real weird kid who wasn't afraid to eat worms, but I had a ton of anxiety issues that kept me practically paralyzed in fearful situations. I still hate horror movies.

As for running against the grain in general, well I tried as hard as I could to be as much like my peers as possible. I was born very different from my peers, so I did as best I could to fit in and avoid too much negative attention, which seemed to be the only kind I could get much of the time.

That's me entirely, but as AEsahaettr said in his post, I too am in introvert. I am severely introverted, if such a thing can be said. I am somewhere between INTP and INFJ, but the majority of the time I take that test I come up as INFJ.

All the time, but I am an introvert. I also have significant sensory processing issues that make my own thoughts far easier to deal with than the outside world. I may even be high functioning autistic, but such a thing has yet to be evaluated.

Yes or no. I was highly concerned about what society felt and thought about my actions. I've always felt myself working hard to match those expectations as best as possible. It's only been in recent years that I've been learning to embrace who I am and tell my inner critic to take a hike. I seek a more pleasant definition for societal standards now, sure, but as a kid, I don't think I would have articulated it in such a way. I was trying to conform because I figured it would win me friends and avoid negative attention.

I believe this is fairly accurate for me. I tend to obsess over the theories and ideologies of life.

This is a good shot, and parts of it may be fairly accurate, but I've found it increasingly difficult to find one or two constants in our personalities or past experiences. About all I know for sure is the current interest in childhood-related objects and experiences. I grew up knowing I wanted diapers. I thought about them constantly, and only in the past 5 or so years started giving in to my desires, saying 'screw you' to society, and buying/wearing/using diapers.

I could say that we all have some sort of trauma, neglect, disability, or inset personality trait, but I've yet to find anything that is even close to 100% accurate for ABDLers. Perhaps if you limit the theory to just those who grew up wanting to indulge in regression fantasies you'd have a bit more success? Fetishists might not have had any of the above but just find diapers hot for whatever reason.

Daikichi

all of those traits you described fit me almost perfectly... its kinda creepy in a funny way :p

Astra

Apart from the last one (being interested in the details of life) I'm basically the opposite of your list. I grew up fast and never had much interest in childish things... except, well, you know.

I relate the most to 1, 2, 3, and 6, though I can't say I've ''always'' been like this. I didn't start to think I was a bit ''odd'' (in a non-ab/dl way) until I was about 8 or so. I can't say much about social interaction, because I never socialized much outside the family.

Nice idea, let's see where this goes. However as some already posted, while it goes for some it's not that way for all. We're different after all, so are our reasons for being ab/dl, but maybe on the inside something is quite common. A basic origin. Which are perhaps, despite seeming to be different, based on a mutual feeling or emotional processing, somehow...

This is it basically for me. I've always been rather childish in general. I've kept all my plushies around in my bed, or nearly all at least ;), till I've been 15. Now there more put in place like decoration, but still around. Besides them I always love cute non-adult related items, be it my soft spot for still liking and wearing kid socks, way too silly trinkets and other odds and ends that look considerable not that grown up.
    But actually it's not a feeling of clinging onto old memories or other sentimental stuff, be it physical or psychological. Simply put, It's me. Having a affectation for cute/childish things is just the same as my passion for rather playful stuff instead of functional.

Kind of... I'm actually not that much into playing too silly/childish stuff. However I think the most borders are blurry, in my honest opinion. It doesn't matter if you still might enjoy some silly card games in your 80's, or play with your nephew's and their plushies, which I tend to do a lot, since i've simply did it a lot in my childhood, still enjoy it to some degree and my little cousins have fun obviously ^-^.

Hey, I'm always against the grain ;)... in the old fashioned way. Just kidding. To be honest no, I end up doing different things or having different desires, but that's due my curiosity, nothing more, nothing less.

As already mentioned, kind of, because I'm quite introvert. I enjoy it more and otherwise I'm too shy to speak freely.

As stated, due to being introvert, I need some time for me alone. It's not like I hate people, it's just that I like to do things by myself, kind of recovering this way.
    However I also enjoy being with a bunch of people surely from time to time, just not... everyday.

Actually, no. The world is a place of a variety of different opinions and ways to go. A vast place with that much opportunities and teachings, from people that were before me, that this seems impossible. Although it may seem like an unique way in contrast to the common.

Instead of what else? ;) Well I guess so. since my curiosity get's the better of me, always in the end. So I'm constantly losing myself in stuff that seems interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ZooeySis View Post
    Also i might add that because of being bullied I have grown to be a skeptic and a cynic and very hateful of humanity, HOWEVER, this is strongly offset by my innocent little side which allows me continue being the loving, kind, caring, and generous person that I am (or so im constantly told I am by friends and family),and while I have the ability to conjure words that could cause a person to step back forever, my little side keeps my mean dark side from consuming me and for that I am grateful. Also, i think it bears to mention that there is a significant difference between being AB/DL and being a Little. Being a little is most definitely a personality trait and is something that is happening all the time or most of the time in the littles mind, and it doesn't really require external properties such as diapers or blankets or plushies, but its really a mind-set. Hence the need for creating two branches (being ABDL and Inner Child) as oppose to categorizing all of it into the AB/DL title, and also the reason why there are AB's who dont want cribs or diapers or anything like that, and there are DL's who dont want to be babies. The spectrum is actually much broader than that which is why AB/DL (as its current singular title) is known as one of the only "fetishes" that can actually not necessarily be a "fetish". Sorry for this long response xD You probably already know all this, ust thought i'd speak my mind :P
    This describes this side very well, I think. Although the root or the reasons may be a little bit different. Since we're all different in the end.

For me.... bleh, I've written some glibberish stuff at first... it's actually kinda hard to put it the right way trough words, since it's simply a part of my personality, not something which is "split off"...
    My childish side, little me is kind of coupled with my creativity for the majority, I guess. In general I'm kinda melancholic, however despite that my little side is somehow more vulnerable, it's still emotionally more stable... at least I feel that way. Maybe simply because I'm actually more "true" about my feelings, so I'm not trying to hide them in some way. And in this case my creativity kicks in, drawing and art in general, so kind of processing my emotions this way.
    Besides that it's my compassionate side, caring simply. However I also want to be cared for, rather more, while being in this mood. Simply: "Hey, here am I, I also exist" ;).
    So a big contrast from my rational side, where I tend to do things. Speaking of rationality and come to think of it, I guess, that's it for me, adult = rational side, little = emotional side, really simply put, but it fit's. Since in the end diapers... are there for me eitherway and my little side can better cope with it, enjoy them, but it doesn't need it, to be a part of me anyway.
    Sounds nearly the same in your case too, the cold cynical, rational side and the kind, innocent and warmhearted emotionally based side. Though hate is a feeling too... hm.

Though I can say all of these personality tendencies fit me, I can Sacha ivepondered this for years. I don't see why it couldn't be a genetic personality thing. Many temptations, tastes, and hair colors run in families. Maybe not, but even on my day's side of the family we have thought Lon than normal thumb sucking ran in our gene pool. Only me and one other cousin has talked about ABDL... I am and he's not bu I trust him so its come up. One of our younger cousins we have caught with diapers before though and she had a pacifier til she was near 10 I want to say. Anyway, thanks for sharing. Great observations. Btw, may are true for me. Although I was attracted to children's stuff I hid it no have always been perceived as overly mature and I am secure one on one and need some alone time but I live live music and big ge togethers... Just saying

Smile

For me, being AB/DL is more about the sense of being "protected" (i.e. diapers represent the fact that "someone is looking after me") and cared for, and also about being "free to be myself without judgement". It's not particularly that I want to do baby-ish things per se, it's just that my parents were always so anxious about "what other people might think". So (even if I'm doing nothing wrong) I worry far too much about how I might appear to others. Before I picked up my parents' neuroses, I remember being a little kid who could do whatever he wanted without being judged. I might be told, "Don't do that."... but no one holds things against you when you're little. No one stops loving you if they don't approve of what you're doing.

So, I guess I crave a way to return to a state where I was protected from this scary world, and where I didn't have to continually worry about what I ought to do or how people might see me -- I could just be myself.

I find that, as life stresses me out and I become increasingly anxious, my need to regress to that childish state of mind returns more intensely...

No... Not at all, really. I don't have much from my childhood. I've never been particularly attached to childish things... and I don't like collecting trinkets of any sort. When I was a student, I somehow came across a stray "Mickey Mouse" fork with a plastic handle... and I became quite attached to always eating dinner with that fork because it made me feel little.

It's only in the last year or two that I've thought about getting footed pyjamas and other childish clothes (and I'm 36 now!).

No... I don't think so. I remember being 12 and going to a theme park and running straight from the biggest, scariest roller-coaster to the kids' ball pit. But that only lasted a short while as I transitioned from childhood to adolescence. I've never been interested in collecting things, or having childish hobbies or playing fantasy games.

I guess that's true... I've always wanted to do things my own way.

True again. I tend to get pretty bad social anxiety and dealing with one person is easier than with several. It's easier to focus and concentrate and keep track of (and clearly hear) the conversation.

My high anxiety levels and my continual need for mental stimulation meant that I had to entertain myself with my own thoughts to stop me going crazy! I'm introverted with people I don't know well and often escape into my thoughts... When I get very anxious I can disassociate intensely. Despite being introverted, I'd say that I was a very social person (if that makes sense).

I really don't understand what you mean by this. Do you mean that an AB/DL (according to your theory) was treated indifferently (and was neither loved nor abused), or do you mean that the AB/DL felt indifferently about the world or about society...?

I don't think I've experienced indifference, nor have I felt indifferently. However, I am quite sensitive to other people's opinions and criticism, if that's sort-of what you meant?

I'm deeply fascinated both in the existential "experience" of life, as well as in all aspects of this deeply puzzling metaphysical reality that, one day, I just happened to wake up in. I have always pondered things, loved learning about the way that the world works, and often notice details that others miss.

I was under the early impression that trauma may have played a significant role in ABDL'ism but later concluded that many kids are subject to a certain level of it and does not lead to a noticable high number of those becoming interested in the kink of ABDL itself.
    It's hard to generalise, but in a way, I believe that it is due to some kind of psychological trauma. My parents loved me, I grew up in a safe environment and never had anything that you might consider particularly traumatic happen to me (as a kid), but... I picked up on a lot of anxiety and had no way to express it or process it... and that in itself was traumatic (and set up the conditions for developing anxiety disorders in later life).

The fact that I sought out AB/DL-like comforts is, as I see it, a coping mechanism due to that trauma. But perhaps only a particular type of personality would have found the experience traumatic; perhaps only a particular personality would find comfort in diapers; perhaps most people would react differently.

So, I don't think it can be explained as a coping mechanism without understanding that different personalities cope with things in different ways...