Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will save Sony?

Default Who will save Sony?

Sony considering split of entertainment and electronic divisions | Polygon

Sony is in hot water, and as I've read in stories before this one, its all coming from a giant slump in sales. From a personal and business view, I hate to see Sony suffer. I am a longtime owner of Sony products, nothing I had a TV of theirs for 13 years when TVs still had boxes on the back of them. Also the computer I'm using to write this is a Sony.

So who will save Sony's entertainment and electronic divisions? In this case, it is for good of the company.

I don't know much about the health of Sony, but Japan has been in a big economic slump for more than ten years. Ironically, other Asian companies have been making products far cheaper than Japan. Japan, like us, like high salaries, something the Chinese haven't discovered yet, except for a few who are billionaires. It's not unusual for businesses to divest some of their interests during hard economic times. I'm sure they will remain a strong company down the road.

It would be a huge shame to see Sony get rid of some really good things, like Columbia Pictures and Epic Records. Sony's VAIO computer sales have been falling by the wayside, even though it seems we got a little glimpse of the blueprints for a new model. And a new PlayStation 4 is in the works as well. If something comes of this spin-off, hopefully Sony Music doesn't go underground, or six feet under.

No love lost for sony here. They're no more evil than most, but they are evil in ways that annoy me specifically.

That said, their entertainment division is fine as far as I can tell, it's the hardware/electronics division that's going down the tubes. At this point sony is more a large conglomerate than a homogeneous company anyway. For all practical purposes the divisions are probably similar to seperatly run companies except for the top few layers.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    No love lost for sony here. They're no more evil than most, but they are evil in ways that annoy me specifically.

That said, their entertainment division is fine as far as I can tell, it's the hardware/electronics division that's going down the tubes. At this point sony is more a large conglomerate than a homogeneous company anyway. For all practical purposes the divisions are probably similar to seperatly run companies except for the top few layers.
    I'm optimistic Sony can make a comeback, like they did in the 90s. They are one of the developers toying with the notion of a 4D TV.

Who will save Sony? Sony will. Because it's not like anyone else can.

Sony liquidated most if it's R&D engineering brainpower and those people went off to work for Sony's competitors. Sony's products, such as it's televisions, are fairly expensive and not that much better than it's competitors. (Especially those competitors that hired all those engineers that Sony fired). They've made some terrible business decisions and the company is taking a nose dive as a result, simple as that. Just because you are a fan of Sony doesn't mean it deserves to be 'saved'. Sony stopped doing what the consumer wants so the consumer is walking away from Sony. If Sony wants to bring back the consumers, Sony needs to make the necessary changes to make it's products attractive to consumers.

It's not like Sony doesn't deserve it. Sony made the 'Walkman' a household name, then when music went Digital, Sony decided to stick to their own proprietary ATRAC3 audio format (What is it with Sony and it's proprietary format fetish? UMD? MD? ATRAC3? MemoryStick?) while Apple released the iPod with straight forward MP3 support. Apple then kicked Sony's ass because Sony made the wrong decision. Sony deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Balto91 View Post
    I'm optimistic Sony can make a comeback, like they did in the 90s. They are one of the developers toying with the notion of a 4D TV.
    No, no they aren't.
    Last edited by AshleyAshes; 28-May-2013 at 05:57.

Everyone I know stopped buying overpriced Sony junk when they started installing malware on people's computers via CD "copy protection". They just can't be trusted -- who knows what levels they'd stoop to. I'd never buy anything from them again.

Ironically, it was alleged that they unlawfully used copyright code in their copyright protection malware!

Real Story of the Rogue Rootkit
    Sony BMG copy protection rootkit scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Ah yes, I remember buying one of those. Damn thing never worked right.