Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever feel bad when children are forced to give up babyish things?

Default Ever feel bad when children are forced to give up babyish things?

I for one feel kind of sad when I hear about children giving up their pacifiers, especially if they're upset about it. Similarly, anti-thumbsucking devices, like dental appliances and hand braces, make me rather angry. (I'm not asking if such parental decisions are right or wrong, just if you empathize with the children.)

Nope.
    Then again, even as a kid I hated anything that was labeled "kids" or "for kids" - I wanted to be a grown up and not a kid.
    And to this day I'm happy to be an adult - so for me it's a bit difficult to be empathetic with kids about stuff like that.

The other thing is, wearing a paci too long or thumsucking CAN have a very negative sideeffect on ones teeth, etc... so yes to that point I also support it if parents decide to do away with the pacifier.

I definitely know what you mean. I always feel bad for kids having to give up stuff they're considered too old for if they don't want to. I remember it always really upset me when I was little, being told I was too old for things like toys or picture books. I had some of my favorite toys thrown out when I was 10 because my father thought they were too "babyish". I still want those toys back. I never used a pacifier as a kid (although I use one now), but I still feel bad for kids having to give those up, too. I may think it's not best for their teeth to keep using it, but I certainly empathize.

Quote Originally Posted by CarnivalDog View Post
    I definitely know what you mean. I always feel bad for kids having to give up stuff they're considered too old for if they don't want to. I remember it always really upset me when I was little, being told I was too old for things like toys or picture books. I had some of my favorite toys thrown out when I was 10 because my father thought they were too "babyish". I still want those toys back. I never used a pacifier as a kid (although I use one now), but I still feel bad for kids having to give those up, too. I may think it's not best for their teeth to keep using it, but I certainly empathize.
    I agree with you Carnival Dog my dad made me throw my favorite truck away when I was 10 too so I still want that toy back. I never used a pacifier as a kid (although I use one now), but I still feel bad for kids having to give those up, too. I may think it's not best for their teeth to keep using it, but I can certainly empathize.

My parents never believed in pacifiers, and neither do I. So, no, I honestly don't empathize about that. To a point I empathize with children who are actually punished for not going on the potty/using their diapers. Especially a child under the age of 3. My neighbor had a child who was half potty trained (only went pee in the potty), and any time he would poop in his pants, he would get spanked for it - this went on for over a month before he finally got the hang of it. I felt so bad for the poor kid. When my dad was younger he had a bedwetting problem, and my grandpa spanked him every morning he would wake up wet. I would empathize with any child in that situation, too.

Not really I guess. It's just how things go, you do baby things when you're a baby and you do kid things when you're a kid and you do teenager things when you're a teenager and you do adult things when you're adult and so on. Thats just how life works. Most kids don't even remember/care about giving up the babyish things shortly after. I was a huge pacifier baby/toddler. I had one just for home, one with me everywhere I went and my mom would carry a back up or two. I don't remember giving them up being that big of a deal and I'm an ABDL. Diapers and babyish toys too. It just sort of happens. If they want to indulge in that a little longer they become one of us if not they move on and forget quickly.

Pacifiers ruin your teeth so the parent has to take it from their child, same as for thumb sucking. They may regret later in the future for ruining their teeth and having to get braces. A kid is too young to make that choice and they shouldn't have to suffer that consequence because they didn't understand back then what it does to their teeth. So a parent has to step it and take it from them and break their thumb sucking habit. There are other comfort objects they can use that won't ruin their teeth.

Until they are old enough to make that decision, they can have their pacifier or suck their thumbs. Lot of adults still suck their thumbs I've read. I wonder how common pacifiers are?

I feel bad when children are made to give up things their parents or other adults feel their too old for.
    I feel the children shouldn't be forced to give up pacifiers etc. until their ready to.

Quote Originally Posted by wetatnight View Post
    I feel bad when children are made to give up things their parents or other adults feel their too old for.
    I feel the children shouldn't be forced to give up pacifiers etc. until their ready to.
    I agree with wetatnight parents that force there will on there kids is wrong! If the kid is old enough and can make a conscious decision on toys or anything else that the kid thinks is childish and wants to give up said toy or anything else that the kid thinks is childish then the parents should go along with the child's decision and be a loving parents to support the decision he or she has made.

I agree about forcing children to stop on a dime from doing something. That is why I am here. However the parents still have to guild (operative word) to move forward and develop. I did just that to get my daughter to stop drinking from a bottle at night. I offered her a better alternative and counted down to the day that they went away. My wife just took my step sons pacifier a way when he was at preschool and told him it somehow got lost.