Thread: Ray Manzarek: Doors co-founder dies at 74 in Germany

Default Ray Manzarek: Doors co-founder dies at 74 in Germany

I thought I would share the sad news that Ray Manzarek, keyboardist and founder member of the 1960s rock band The Doors, has died aged 74.

BBC News - Doors co-founder Ray Manzarek dies at 74 in Germany

A sad day for rock n roll. Ray was as siggnificant of an influence in The Doors sound as Jimmy.

some of his genius at work:

The Doors - Light My Fire - YouTube

His life may be gone, but his fiery fingers will live on forever in the music he made. R.I.P Ray Manzarek

oh no i like the doors. they did some great songs. my favorite was riders on the storm lol.

This hits me hard. The Doors were one of my favorite bands in the 60's. Morison's lyrics really spoke to my generation. Few people realized that the Doors didn't have a bass player. Manzarek played his Vox Continental or Farfisa with his right hand and all the bass lines on a Vox Bass keyboard. Now listen to the Doors again. After the doors, he spent much of his life as a sessions keyboard player for other great artists and I believed he produced. He will be greatly missed by musicians such as myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    This hits me hard. The Doors were one of my favorite bands in the 60's. Morison's lyrics really spoke to my generation. Few people realized that the Doors didn't have a bass player. Manzarek played his Vox Continental or Farfisa with his right hand and all the bass lines on a Vox Bass keyboard. Now listen to the Doors again. After the doors, he spent much of his life as a sessions keyboard player for other great artists and I believed he produced. He will be greatly missed by musicians such as myself.
    He played keyboard with one hand bass with the other and when Morrison was too drugged up to preform he would sing as well.