Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moore Ok. Tornado

Default Moore Ok. Tornado

Our thoughts and prayers tonight need to be with the people of all of Oklahoma.
    According to latest reports there are 24 deaths. Also for any members of our community
    who live there we are with you. Anybody who responds be respectfull.

Just listened to the press conference and there was no increase in the death toll.
    Last edited by oleman72; 21-May-2013 at 17:55. Reason: Updated death toll

It seems that each year the weather gets worse. This is a horrible tragedy and my heart goes out to all those affected by the storm, especially those who've lost loved ones and the injured. We were one of the hardest hit towns in last summer's Derecho storm. Though our house didn't sustain any damage, we were without electricity for 7 whole days, and every day hit about 100 degrees. Many houses were destroyed, including a 90 year old neighbor of ours. The size of the tree which went down in the middle of her house was frightening. Fortunately, she wasn't injured.

There will be many in Oklahoma and other states, this spring and summer who will go through what we did. I had to get a generator so my wife could dialyze. We do home dialysis, but even the dialysis center had no electricity for several days. I attacked long lines as I tried to fill my gas cans up so I could run the generator, keeping my wife alive. I hope to never go through that again. But in Oklahoma and other states, they will be going through those very things. Those who lost homes will have to deal with insurance companies, only to find they're not covered for wind damage. Fema will be no hope, and they will go into a depression that knows no end. They will need our help, prayers, care and concern. God help them all.

It took me hours to get ahold of my cousins that live in Moore. I was relieved to hear that they are all OK. They lived about two miles east of one of the schools that was completely blown away. I was getting ready to get in my truck and head that way. I could be there in about an hour. But I didn't want to be one of the people that was clogging the roads and not allowing medical and rescue to do their job.

It's a very sad thing. But it's good to see that many in the state and around the country are coming together to provide help.

I can't really say anything other than
    My thoughts go out to the people of Oklahoma.

Well it's horrible what happened espcailly to anyone at the schools and medical center that got hit by the EF4. wont be surprised if it gets upgraded to EF5 later or already has.

It was upgraded to an F5. Tornadoes have always fascinated yet terrified me because of how powerful they can be. I saw one once in '84 in the small Ohio town my grandparents lived in. I remember seeing the funnel form but it didn't fully touch down... yet it did some damage as I saw the damage as my aunt and I left town the next day to go to her house. I've been fascinated by tornadoes ever since. My heart goes out to those affected by this tragedy in Oklahoma. At least they had better warnings than there were in the past. Tornadoes are never something fun to see.

Tragedies like this are never easy.

WildThing121675

My heart goes out to people in Oklahoma. I been in most of the type of storms from fire storms, to Hurricanes, and Tornado. So I know how scary they can be.

One of the best things about being Sooner bred is the undying resilience we're all born with. I helped a bit with clean up in 1999 as a teenager and this year was able to help more as an EMT. Both times I've noted neighbors leaving their own piles of rubble to assist someone else in searching for something dear to their hearts. People out here are forgetting about their belongings to help search for missing dogs, cats and even horses. This is how we were raised. I can certainly extend a thank you for all the well wishes, prayers and positive vibes being sent our way. Last I heard the death count was at 91, but that was early Tuesday morning. I took heart that they followed that bit of news up with the fact that they'd rescued 101 survivors over the same night. It may take some time but I have no doubt that all the towns affected by the tornadoes will rebuild with gusto and pride.

i'm a bit late to this thread but i wanted to pitch in... the 20 may tornado eated our house :-( we're renting a house in norman now, 5 minutes south of where we were. it has been a weird month, but fema, the military, friends, and family have all been awesome in their support in every way :-) drop me a pm if you want to hear more of our story ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by whisko View Post
    i'm a bit late to this thread but i wanted to pitch in... the 20 may tornado eated our house :-( we're renting a house in norman now, 5 minutes south of where we were. it has been a weird month, but fema, the military, friends, and family have all been awesome in their support in every way :-) drop me a pm if you want to hear more of our story ;-)
    I'm sorry to hear about your house Whisko. But I'm glad to hear you're OK.