Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When will CDs go out and what are we to do to....

Default When will CDs go out and what are we to do to....

Replenish the funds that they furnish for the creators of the material, as well as all those who will be jobless who worked at CD distribution copies and manufacturers (such as CD baby)?

CDs: Obsolete by 2015? | TechHive

According to the above link, CDs could be very well obsolete by the first quarter of 2015. And DVD's/Blu-Ray discs by 2020, now as you all may be aware I am a screenwriter and a musician, so the change may very well come with repercussions for those like me planning to make a living, a good one at that, off my work. So what plans do people suggest to make sure enough funds are kept flowing in to keep screenwriters/musicians out of bankruptcy in this new wave of technology we're inevitably coming into?

To those who are just hobbyists, this may not affect you much but its time to think for the near future.

In addition,, I want to note we need to develop a solution in order to rise bands abode middle-class status by profiting from this new way of sales

I've stopped using cd dvd bluray's already. all my stuff is downloaded and stored on a hard drive.

If CDs become obsolete, nothing will need to be done to "replenish the funds that furnish the creators of the material".

Think about it... CDs are an unnecessary cost to music producers. By providing downloadable files, which take no physical space, require no raw materials, no storage space, no transportation, no unsold stock, and remove the fabrication process to press CDs... music can be produced and released at a far lower cost.

If everything else stays fixed, this means that music will become more profitable. The potential obsoletion of music CDs will save the industry (and thus artists) money.

Quote Originally Posted by Balto91 View Post
    ... as you all may be aware I am a screenwriter and a musician... planning to make a living, a good one at that, off my work.

To those who are just hobbyists, this may not affect you much but its time to think for the near future.
    If you are only planning to make a living off your work, then... that makes you a hobbyist too, doesn't it?! In order to be a professional screenwriter/musician, you would need to be making a living from your works already.

I can't even remember the last time I've used a CD.

It's quite sad that only now companies are barely starting to realize that some of us don't need them anymore. When searching for a laptop that wasn't the latest MBP (I hate having CD drives--They're a waste of space, battery life, and weight), I could barely find any powerful ones that catered to my wants and needs. When I build my desktop this fall, there isn't going to be a CD drive on it since I either download or have everything on a flash drive anyways.

So yes, I do think that CDs will become obsolete by then, if not, much sooner. I can't wait to buy a decent looking head for my car that doesn't have a CD reader in it--It's a waste of money and space when all I want is some place to plug my phone into.

But who will it become more profitable for? The creators of the material, because it would have a lot of making up to do. Tour sales cannot supply all that income lost and at 99 cents a song or even less, sales online would have to pile up pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by CrypticTaco View Post
    When I build my desktop this fall, there isn't going to be a CD drive on it since I either download or have everything on a flash drive anyways.
    Gasp! I'm still getting over the culture shock of owning my first PC without a floppy drive!

How are you going to install the OS? Via a flash drive image?

Good preserved CD has no problem be conservated 100 years. Daily using of flash EPROM memories (not only flash USB, there's a lot of memory cards) is another: CD servs to conservate, Flash is rewritable media. For this reason I think CDs and DVDs never will go out 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Balto91 View Post
    But who will it become more profitable for? The creators of the material, because it would have a lot of making up to do. Tour sales cannot supply all that income lost and at 99 cents a song or even less, sales online would have to pile up pretty quick.
    But... if the artists' revenue from a downloaded song isn't as much as the equivalent song on CD, that's because they signed contracts with the music industry to that effect. It's nothing to do (directly) with CDs losing popularity; it's down to greedy corporations reducing the revenue passed on to artists.

CDs will be around for so long as there's a need (and competition) for cheap storage and transfer mediums.
    unless solid state devices can be priced in pennies, as CDs and DVDs are, there is no competition.

additionally, solid state storage devices have issues with firmware corruptability that can render the information on them as unrecoverable.

Quote Originally Posted by Balto91
    So what plans do people suggest to make sure enough funds are kept flowing in to keep screenwriters/musicians out of bankruptcy in this new wave of technology we're inevitably coming into?
    live performance (theatres, pubs, street corners, etc).
    rude awakenings for some.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    CDs will be around for so long as there's a need (and competition) for cheap storage and transfer mediums.
    unless solid state devices can be priced in pennies, as CDs and DVDs are, there is no competition.
    I agree with this. In my opinion there's nothing better than a DVD to install an operating system. I've seen higher capacity USB flash drives go down in price, but only up to a certain point. I can't buy a couple with spare change, unlike CDs and DVDs. I've also seen USB flash drives go down in quality already. I had 1GB flash drive for 7 years before it broke in an accident, along with the car stereo. Now I bought another kingston drive and it broke after a couple months. And I gave it the same use as I did with my old stick.

A CD, with the propper care can last you for decades. I still have my Lion King DVD as new, where as a USB drive, with all that push and pull will inevitably break. Also, I don't trust downloads. What happens if the copyright holder gets into a fight with my cloud service provider, and decides to pull their content? I doubt there are any laws that can protect consumers from having their content removed right now, and even then, there's not a law that can protect us from a massive server crash, or from the company owning the server going bankrupt.