Thread: Ad hoc

Default Ad hoc

Ok so I have to Acer Aspires both running Vista. One has a internet connection though a AT&t wireless card.

I made a ad hoc connection and enabled sharing on the AT&T connection.

I went to connect to the ad hoc connection on the other laptop and it connected but only localy. I went back to the one that is hosting and went to control panel then network and shareing and it said that the computer that is trying to conect is unidentifyed network.

Any ideas

uh, send the second one to me.

Ditch the wireless card and just get a wi-fi router in your house. Lots of places offer free Wi-Fi.

lol no for real guys...I shared wi-fi with my next door negibore and she is not always online. So I want to share my moms internet (AT&T) with my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    lol no for real guys...I shared wi-fi with my next door negibore and she is not always online. So I want to share my moms internet (AT&T) with my laptop.
    Ditch the shitty internet cards that cost like 60 dollars per month with poor speeds and just setup your own wireless access point in the house. It's much cheaper and much more simple. If you need to access the net outside of home go to mc'ds or starbucks buy a drink get refill's (if Mc'ds) and use their wi-fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Ditch the shitty internet cards that cost like 60 dollars per month with poor speeds and just setup your own wireless access point in the house. It's much cheaper and much more simple. If you need to access the net outside of home go to mc'ds or starbucks buy a drink get refill's (if Mc'ds) and use their wi-fi.
    Those "shitty internet cards" work really well for most users. I have one through sprint, and I've driven from Michigan to Florida with it connected the whole way, getting about 300-400kb/sec the whole way, no disconnections. They are a great alternative for people who don't have access to cable or DSL due to where they live. If you travel often, or have more than one place of residence, it makes more sense to have a data card in a laptop instead of a dedicated broadband connection [of whatever type].

Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Those "shitty internet cards" work really well for most users. I have one through sprint, and I've driven from Michigan to Florida with it connected the whole way, getting about 300-400kb/sec the whole way, no disconnections. They are a great alternative for people who don't have access to cable or DSL due to where they live. If you travel often, or have more than one place of residence, it makes more sense to have a data card in a laptop instead of a dedicated broadband connection [of whatever type].

Just my $.02
    So do you use your laptop while your driving?

Aside from making sure that both laptops are set to share their internet connections and aren't blocked by any firewall issues, you should be all set. And as far as I can tell about ad hocs, I usually have no problems when creating them with no passwords, just make an "open connection" and you shouldn't have any issues.