Thread: Nintendo claiming revenue from Let's Play videos of their own games

Default Nintendo claiming revenue from Let's Play videos of their own games

Nintendo Claiming Ad Revenue On Let’s Players YouTube Content | My Nintendo News They are however allowing the videos to remain up. What are your thoughts on all of this?

What a sad situation for youtube channels when companies want to take the advertising revenue.

I think

we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property.
    should have read

we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property because we've worked out we can make more money this way
    I understand why they are doing it, after all the content of the video is owned by Nintendo but I worry that it will cause other company's to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Strontium View Post
    What a sad situation for youtube channels when companies want to take the advertising revenue.

I think should have read

I understand why they are doing it, after all the content of the video is owned by Nintendo but I worry that it will cause other company's to do the same thing.
    They will, sadly ._.

Just like record companies, they're among the dinosaurs of their respective industry, and like those prehistoric critters, we'll see them extinct eventually. They don't know how to interact in this evolving atmosphere, and will pay the price, just as the other dinosaurs will do in their own time - the same can be said of other ancient players in the software space like Electronic Arts and Microsoft. Hardware centric companies like Sony, Intel and to a lesser extent Apple have it easier for now, as their revenue streams are established and cannot really be upset without major competitive forces - software companies that cling to the same mindset are doomed in the long run, and Nintendo is as heavily software driven as they are hardware.

This act reeks of desperation on their part, it is a less evil variety of some of the cease and desist tactics Paramount used to use to shut down Star Trek fan sites back in the day, or Lucasarts used to use to stop modders from altering their games. It's an extremely shortsighted policy, and I really hope it blows up in their face.

Nintendo said it themselves that they're not stopping the videos, it's only going to effect the individuals who make the vids and profit from them. Just like any business, they adapt to the environment in which they operate, not every idea is met well (DRM, online passes, day one Dlc). This is the way nintendo chose to control the output of the content they rightfully own. The worst I expect from this move is that we may see an ad for nintendo products during the videos, big woop.

I think TotalBiscuit has managed to sum up a lot of the points that are brought up with this move by Nintendo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulqy117 View Post
    Nintendo said it themselves that they're not stopping the videos, it's only going to effect the individuals who make the vids and profit from them. Just like any business, they adapt to the environment in which they operate, not every idea is met well (DRM, online passes, day one Dlc). This is the way nintendo chose to control the output of the content they rightfully own. The worst I expect from this move is that we may see an ad for nintendo products during the videos, big woop.
    That's the sticking point - do Nintendo rightfully own the entire content?

Nintendo made the game, but the reason these 'Let's Play' videos are getting lots of views (they wouldn't chase the revenue otherwise) is based on the entertainment value of the person playing it. If the commentary was muted so you just had the game footage would anyone watch these? Nintendo is trying to claim 100% of the revenue for something they have only had a partial part in creating, and to a lot of people that's not right.

The purpose of copyright laws is to protect creators from people stealing their work so they no longer profit from it. In the case of a movie for example, if somebody puts that on youtube (in high quality) and as a result you watch it on youtube instead of going to the cinema or buying the DVD then the makers of that movie have lost money from the act. I cannot see how you can apply this in the same way to a let's play video. I don't believe more than a handful of people have thought about buying a game, then decided not to because they watched a let's play and felt they'd had the experience. The use of a company's game footage in these videos is not loosing them money, if anything it is a source of advertising and I would suggest actually makes more people buy the game if they like the look of it.

I think you could make an argument for Nintendo receiving a cut of the revenue from these videos, because the video isn't possible without the game. But it should be like royalties, there is no justifiable way in my opinion to claim 100% of the revenue when a significant proportion of the entertainment value is generated by the player not the game.
    If you don't believe that, then by similar reasoning all revenue from the "Will it blend?" and "Is it a good idea to microwave...." videos should go entirely to the manufacturer of the blender and microwave respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodlandWanderer View Post
    there is no justifiable way in my opinion to claim 100% of the revenue when a significant proportion of the entertainment value is generated by the player not the game.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this stinks, I quoted because its exactly what I was thinking about this whole situation.