Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interested In Starting A Diaper Business

Default Interested In Starting A Diaper Business

As I sit here in Afghanistan supporting my family I asked myself why have I not started selling disposable diapers myself. Today I got on line and emailed several companies in China and I got a lot of responses back. Of course for most of them the minimum order is 30,000 diapers. I am really considering buying a shipment to the standards I enjoy as an adult baby and seeing if it works out. Right now I am few thousand short but I am very interested in trying this out. Has anyone else here tried or considered this?

I used to work for an upstart business, so I got to see how it developed from a small shack, to a proper office. Here's some insight I got.

Have a business model. Seriously. And stick to it. It'll give you clarity when things get hectic, and will take you down a notch if you get too many wild ideas. You'd be surprised at how many people start a business with no sense of direction.

Focus on the core of business. What's the core? Well, selling diapers by the sound of it. This will be your major revenue stream, so support it at all costs. Secondary to this is maintaining a loyal customer base (through effective communication, shipping practices, consistency and service, among other things). Customers provide the revenue, so look after them.

Prepare yourself to work hard. Every. Single. Day.

Remember, stock is only but one outlay required when starting a business. In all likelihood, you'll need to dish out many thousands more for storage space, transport to storage, storage security, packaging materials, a website, business registration, advertising/marketing, and an ordering system.

You could go a year or two, even longer, without any major returns. Prepare yourself for this and always have a backup plan.

Never underestimate the power of word-of-mouth. One bad customer experience can easily equate to losing 5, or more, potential future customers.

Dedication, motivation and commitment. If you don't have any of these, don't even bother.

I am not a business major but my girlfriend is. I know a little bit about it. Not trying to crush your dreams but legally you cannot just buy a large quantity of a product and start selling. You have to have a LLC or similar. I know there is tons of money involved and attorneys to start up a business. Taxes, shipping methods, warehouse space, and I am sure a few other things. I wish you luck in your quest.

I don't know man that market is very saturated with many established retailers already.

Unless you are going to try to have a store geared toward ABDLs like Bambinos or ABU. There still is plenty of room in that area for competition, but I don't really think there is a lot of money in that model.

make sure that you're ready for this:
    Attachment 17095

i'd help, but my shoulders are too buggered for that.

it's probably an idea to see what storage solutions may be available to you, in your position (i'm assuming military or connected). even if it's just buying/finding a military shipping container to store the shipped items in (of course, you'll also need the land to store the container upon).

the most common cheap storage and logistics solution is usually with any of your local, small/start-up businesses [of such nature] who'll also have the established labour-force and delivery methods. 'local' tending to be best as the small/start-up end of warehousing and distribution is pretty cut-throat, and cutting of corners, so you need to keep an eye on things.

anyway, good luck.

[edit] with regard to market saturation, a niche may be found in importing asian style diapers.

If you're looking for an awesome niche to fulfill- people have been looking for a true sissy-printed (and I'd guess.... pink) diaper for a long time now.... and it seems to be an even bigger matter as lackluster products come out from ABU.

If you're dealing with Chinese suppliers, court action will be almost out of the question. So make sure you have a clear contract. I have heard of a lot of people who bought one or two individual items to check out, thought they were great, ordered a container, and ended up with 50,000 duds and no legal right to compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by lullingsea View Post
    If you're looking for an awesome niche to fulfill- people have been looking for a true sissy-printed (and I'd guess.... pink) diaper for a long time now.... and it seems to be an even bigger matter as lackluster products come out from ABU.
    That was the route I was interested in taking and have found a company that can produce such.

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate the legal action for bad product information. That is good to know. As far as being committed, I no a little about that as a former Marine. Also, as far as supporting the customers, I believe as a fellow ABDL I have the interests in heart. I have every diaper in my basement that appeal to the ABDL lifestyle, thousands of them, and I know what is missing in the market in my opinion.

I just got done taking a business class, make sure to analyze the market, and your SWOT, strengths weaknesses opportunities and theats

Quote Originally Posted by rbaby View Post
    I just got done taking a business class, make sure to analyze the market, and your SWOT, strengths weaknesses opportunities and theats
    Thanks. My experience in business really is newly founded. I worked as a project manager in the aviation maintenance world for two years and you learn a great deal of business savvy in that industry. I was always at a disadvantage in that position not having a formal education in business but I was very successful with a profit margin of almost 60% monthly. I am well trained in leadership and have great determination and discipline. My background in aviation is that of an electronics technician so I am very analytical and I constantly am analyzing and troubleshooting. This is a notion for me now...mainly because where I live my line of work just does not exist.