Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why dogs are considered kids

Default Why dogs are considered kids

If not more so than humans, dogs have the same feelings and thoughts humans do, we do not give them credit for the way they are shaped or how they sound. So why are they kids? Because they have a sweet personality and a nature that no one can just refuse. Calling them a "pet" is a derogatory term, as it symbolizes dogs are nothing more than to be our slaves, our scapegoats, our punching bags. I do have the reasons dogs as kids can triumph over humans as kids.

1. Dogs don't make the eardrum-shattering crying babies do. Sure they whine for the first night or two but wouldn't you complain as well if you were separated from your mom?
    2. Dogs are not judgmental like humans.
    3. Financially, dogs are like the more affordable kids. You cut a lot of costs having them as kids over humans, such as baby and schooling supplies.

Aehm?

Like for real?

sorry if this sounds a tad harsh.... but I guess it needs to be said:

Dogs are dogs, humans are humans...
    There are VAST differences... and comparing a dog to a kid isn't going to work - neither for a real kid nor for the dog.

I've had a good number of dogs during my life - and I love those creatures.
    And they have been incredibly adaptive over the past 20'000-50'000 years of dog/human history.
    But they certainly lack a similar thought process or even articulated thoughts.
    They clearly have DIFFERENT NEEDS than a child on so many levels.
    A dog never profits from being treated like a human.

have you ever been lucky enough to witness one of those dimwits trying with a lengthy conversation to explain to his/her dog why it (the dog) should not have done XY... and they keep on talking to the dog in this weird monologue like "duffy, I've told you, that you should really not bring in that bone and place it on the carpet in front of the sofa... you know, it's just going to stink up the place... now duffy, how many times need I tell you?" ... i've seen it being done.
    and poor "duffy" stares slightly confused at her owner(s) and clearly has no clue what's going on... the owner takes "confused" look for "i'm sorry"-look and keeps on behaving like he/she's talking to a 5 year old child.
    the difference? the child would actually understand the words, the meaning and maybe even the reasoning.

Some breeds are smarter than others, the poodle beating the smartest breed over the papillion and german shepherd.

Dogs are just enslaved wolves which have evolved to become subservient and appear endearing to humans because... well, we killed all the vicious ones and inbred the others to serve us.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Dogs are just enslaved wolves which have evolved to become subservient and appear endearing to humans because... well, we killed all the vicious ones and inbred the others to serve us.
    Why not do what Rammstein does live for Buch Dich? Put a chain around a humans and have them walk on their hands and feet. I don't like the terms "owner" or "master" because again that would imply dogs are nothing more than a jar of pickles. Its really all about the true value of a soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Balto91 View Post
    Why not do what Rammstein does live for Buch Dich? Put a chain around a humans and have them walk on their hands and feet. I don't like the terms "owner" or "master" because again that would imply dogs are nothing more than a jar of pickles. Its really all about the true value of a soul.
    Well... I do think all animals should be treated with dignity and respect...

I was vegetarian for over a decade (until I got ill and had an overwhelming craving for rare beef!). It seems weird to me to have a pet (probably because I've never had one, being allergic to any animal with fur)... so I'd feel uncomfortable driving a market for animals that are kept domestically... :-/

I remember an old dinner lady from school whose house I went round once. She had a bird in a tiny cage, and all it could do was jump from one pole to the other, not quite being able to extend its wings fully, let alone flap them. It was being denied the right to live "true" to its nature. It made me really sad to think about it. I'd never want to restrict an animal like that (even one with a tiny brain).

I know people who keep dogs, and they give them a lot of exercise and make a fuss of them, and I've no reason to think that the animals have anything less than a fantastic life... but it's not for me. I'd worry that I'd be denying the animal its "birthright" to belong to a pack of its peers and "playing god" with its life. I love to see animals in the wild.

The idea of "dog shows" and pedigree (inbreeding), where breeders will kill dogs if they don't "conform to specification" is particularly unpleasant. The same eugenics movement led to Nazism. I saw a video of a well-known breeder showing Rhodesian Ridgebacks (which have a mild form of spina-bifida, leading to the ridged-back). The desire to maintain the ridged-back in the pedigree means that the breed has a massively increased risk of dogs being born suffering from serious defects. But the breeder said that any perfectly healthy dogs without the ridged-back would just be put down because they are worthless.

That's pretty horrible... although I know most dog owners aren't like that at all.

But even so, I'd still say that dogs aren't really anything like kids... Humans seem to have a much greater capacity to learn and to experience suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Balto91 View Post
    No, what? What goes through your head?

Dogs are pets. Yes, they have feelings and emotions and such just like we do, but they ARE NOT human. Their lives are not comparable to a human's. They are about as comparable to a human's life as an elephant is, and I don't see you making the same argument for elephants. It just so happens that dogs aren't the only animals out there.

The reason we use collars is because dogs have a tendency to, believe it or not, run off, and they don't speak our language at all. In fact, the only way they can understand us is via the tones of our voices. Yes, you can train a dog to sit, but the dog isn't learning that the word "sit" means to do that. You train them by rewarding them, and the word "sit" is basically just a buzzword that if they do the action the usual way, you may reward them for it.

We don't put collars on pickles. We put them on pets.
    Last edited by KuroCat; 10-May-2013 at 01:32.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    We don't put collars on pickles. We put them on pets.
    Ha ha ha! I don't know why, but I can't stop laughing at that.

Still... you'd be surprised what a quick YouTube search brings up. Looks like you can keep a pickle as a pet!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Ha ha ha! I don't know why, but I can't stop laughing at that.

Still... you'd be surprised what a quick YouTube search brings up. Looks like you can keep a pickle as a pet!

Someone actually decided to make this video, and thought it through, up to the lyrics and choreographing, even the dialog. How terrifying..

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    How terrifying..
    This is the world in which we live. Someone, somewhere has thought of everything you can possibly imagine... and then gone one step further than you even knew was possible.