Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YouTube to charge users

Default YouTube to charge users

Just heard this via the net and TV news that YouTube might start charging people to use their services. I won't pay it as I'm on a fixed income. I was shocked when I heard yet not too surprised because to be honest; I half expected YouTube to start charging for videos at some vantage point.

So; are you going to pay if YouTube starts charging?

WildThing121675

I'm fine with them offering a subscription service. It won't take away anything from what we have now, I personally think. If they think a few programs they have to offer is worth the money, more power to Youtube.. and the idea of being able to pay to get rid of ads sounds like it might be appealing to some too. It's not going to charge people to upload videos or register or watch other user-generated content so I don't really see the problem.

Are their specialty channels even worth watching?

I would assume that their live channels would be their specialty channels.in that case lucky me, I already don't watch those. I think we expect too much for free now anyway, if youtube wanted to charge a small overall subscription price I'd pay it. the literally years off entertainment that lonely guys uploading gameshows in their basements is worth 5 bucks a month to me. I know that's not the situation (Currently) but most everything will be like that within 5 years or so.

It's going to depend on who this effects. If this happens to people like ChampChong or OfficialNerdCubed I would consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by incontinentGM24 View Post
    I would assume that their live channels would be their specialty channels.in that case lucky me, I already don't watch those. I think we expect too much for free now anyway, if youtube wanted to charge a small overall subscription price I'd pay it. the literally years off entertainment that lonely guys uploading gameshows in their basements is worth 5 bucks a month to me. I know that's not the situation (Currently) but most everything will be like that within 5 years or so.

I'm already molested on all sides by advertisements 24/7. I'm not going to pay for every entertainment medium, especially if it's to watch random people play video games or vlog. I already pay too much for my internet and cable as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by SkullBunny89 View Post
    I'm already molested on all sides by advertisements 24/7. I'm not going to pay for every entertainment medium, especially if it's to watch random people play video games or vlog. I already pay too much for my internet and cable as it is.
    Well, the money has to come from somewhere. Its an extremely expensive operation to maintain and the reality is that any large website has to be monetized to survive.

There is a reason why most random vlogers don't host their own videos.

This rumour has been floating around the internet for at least 4 years, it has this side of the pond anyway, partly in thanks to one off Google's April fools and partly due to people fear-mongering by chain mail, occasionally it makes it's rounds on supposedly reputable websites, but until I see an official release of such information on Google or YouTube's website I'm not buying it. Sorry.

I've discovered that one has to be careful as to how many things they are paying for. In our case we still have a land line (phone) as well as cell. We pay for our television through Direct TV, but internet/cable is Comcast. Over the period of a year, these things become expensive. What irks me is television ads. Before cable, when television was free, commercials were justified because the signal cost you nothing. But now that I pay through Direct TV, why should I have to watch commercials too? Of course, we DVR much of what we watch, and then fast forward, so take that, stupid T.V.!!!