Thread: Mother's Day for Adult Children of___

Default Mother's Day for Adult Children of___

Mother's Day has been difficult for me since I became aware that I don't have a mother who is the way mothers are supposed to be (nurturing, encouraging, non-judgmental, stable) and if I didn't have a disability since birth and hadn't been lured back home after I started to gain independence I'd have little reason if any to have stayed in contact. Just feeling trapped mentally and financially. If I'd had to sense to run and stay gone when I did that would be one thing. Most people I know who had cruel parents got out early. Those of you like me who believed the lies, how do you deal with it?

Those of us who feel love and compassion are human. We may not neccessarily need to feel that love returned to hang on the the hope that it is there somewhere. Lurking. It is primordial love. A mother will always be a mother despite her short-comings.

Only you can choose to overcome wrought feelings and choose to allow yourself to love her and find the positives in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by MOPaddED View Post
    Mother's Day has been difficult for me since I became aware that I don't have a mother who is the way mothers are supposed to be (nurturing, encouraging, non-judgmental, stable) and if I didn't have a disability since birth and hadn't been lured back home after I started to gain independence I'd have little reason if any to have stayed in contact. Just feeling trapped mentally and financially. If I'd had to sense to run and stay gone when I did that would be one thing. Most people I know who had cruel parents got out early. Those of you like me who believed the lies, how do you deal with it?
    Well, I hope you are out of there now, and if not, that you plan on getting out if things are bad. If you are of legal age there are plenty of places a person can go in the USA for help, such as homeless shelters or the WMCA, etc. If you are not of legal age you can contact Children Services, and if you are over the age of 13 you can actually self remove so long as you turn custody of yourself over to the state.

What you must decide is if where you are living at now is at risky as taking your chances by leaving. I have met runaways who would have rather starved then take another minute of abuse once they had decided they had had enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ilostthesheriff View Post
    Those of us who feel love and compassion are human. We may not neccessarily need to feel that love returned to hang on the the hope that it is there somewhere. Lurking. It is primordial love. A mother will always be a mother despite her short-comings.

Only you can choose to overcome wrought feelings and choose to allow yourself to love her and find the positives in doing so.
    I don't love my mother. Not one bit. She's slowly dying now, and I'm glad. There is no "overcoming the bad and seeing the positives," when your entire relationship was built on emotional abuse. Someone like her doesn't deserve life. I can only wonder if this hospital visit will be her last. I can't say I really care much.

There was a time when I was 11 and I told her I wanted to live with my grandparents (because of something else she was being Queen B* about) and her response was that if I did go to live with them, I'd be dead to her. If I could teleport back to that moment from today I would have stood my ground. Earlier this morning I found myself asking God why he didn't just have her drown me in a bathtub when I was 3, she wouldn't have to put up with me all this time and I'd just be in Heaven. I can bounce back from being betrayed by supposed friends, partners and even random strangers but it's somewhat different when the only person that should love you can't demonstrate love in a healthy way

My mother was / is a psychotic self centered bitch who has only slightly mellowed in her 80s so Mothers day always causes me much anxiety. I play the "good son" and call her to wish her a happy Mother's Day, it is easier now she is 2000 miles away but I can never forgive her for being such an evil bitch from hell.

My birth parents put me up for adoption, but I wasn't adopted until I was two years old, walking and talking. Is it any wonder we want to go back and be babies again. Fortunately, my real mom and dad who adopted me loved me unconditionally. It wasn't a perfect relationship, but what is.

They both died when I was in my twenties. I was married by then, and had someone who loved me and helped me get through their deaths. To those of you who have had such terrible mothers, I'm sorry. I made it my mission to be a good father, as has my wife, a good mother. We have three wonderful, loving children. The relationships which we have with one another is the most meaningful part of our lives, and so we are blessed. Wealth and money have little bearing on happiness, but relationships are the most important. Without each other, what do we have?