Thread: Jeff Hanneman and Thoughts on Death

Default Jeff Hanneman and Thoughts on Death

Ok so only a few hours ago I was shocked to learn that the guitar player of the band Slayer, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at the age of 49 due to liver failure and this situation got me thinking. I am not really the biggest Slayer fan, I enjoy a few of their records but I don't care for them all too much, and yet, I find this news to be extremely disheartening for number of reasons. Apart from the obvious stuff, I began to think about the effects of the death of an individual on other people and the daunting truth of the eternal equalizer.

It is a strange thought that this post that I am now writing will inform at least some of you of the death of an individual who you might not have even known existed. I find this strange simply because this makes me think of all the remarkable souls who will die without me ever have come in contact with them nor even know who they are. It is incredible that society can continue to push forward when we don't even care all too much about all those that pass before us.

This brings me to my next point. Death is the only certain in life and while I am not frightened (or at least don't think I am) of when my time comes, I am most definitely off put by the thought of people I care about going before me. If we were all to die of old age, this would not be that bad of a thought but given that anyone could die at any moment... that is truly disturbing. A friend of mine is a Slayer fan and is heartbroken as he already had plans on seeing them this coming tour. To think that anyone of my favorite artists could also leave this planet without me ever have been able to enjoy a live night of their music is saddening.

I guess the reason I am posting this is to vent some of these feelings which are all the more present because of the various deaths in my family in the past few years that were extremely untimely. I hope to hear what your thoughts are on this type of stuff and am anxious to find out if I am the only one who thinks about this sort of thing in this way. I apologize for not being able to word this better but that is one of the inadequacies of the human language: not being able to properly voice your thoughts 100% of the time.

RIP Jeff Hanneman and thanks for taking the time to read this little glimpse into my head.

-Zazi

Wow. It must have been one toxic spider that bit him in the arm that led him down the road that brought him to today. Very ironic that he went out like that, and somewhat ironic that some of us who "knew" him are finding out the news from you, who as you mentioned, don't have as strong a connection to him and his music. When I began learning guitar, Slayer were one of my biggest influences in playing style and lyric writing, but as time went on and I broadened my palette and the novelty of thrash metal sort of wore off and bands stopped having much new to offer and I could no longer reconcile my beliefs with the band's collective philosophy, I drifted away from them until The Big 4 was scheduled and I developed an unfulfilled desire to attend.
    What you express about people living and dying that you've never met (and with you, me, and others in this present likewise passing on the stage for an instant) brings to mind that though all questions will be answered in Heaven, there was a quote I heard a few weeks ago about planters being content to plant trees under which shade they themselves will never sit.

That about sums it up for me; 100% of the time I am not able to properly voice my thoughts!

Protip: Dont google image "necrotising fasciitis" which is what happened with or after the bite. Serious gore.

Admittedly I am not sad at all about his passing, but I am happy that he took full advantage of his existence.

I'm not one of those "live life to the fullest every day" kind of people, but I do believe it is vitally important to be able to recognise and to not turn down opportunities for new experiences. After all, we are the sum of our experiences. We are the sum of those who we interact with to create experience. We share each other. We are all one. All connected. Glued to the fabric of reality by the unbreakable bonds of mutual experience.

Anyone who says they don't have any regrets is either lying, or has never truly lived. I'm not a fan of Slayer in the slightest, but from what I know superficially about the band, Jeff would have lived one hell of a life, having taken the opportunity to share something he loved with the world. That is living. While I may have plenty of regrets on my own death bed, I try as often as possible to avoid the regret of having not lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Protip: Dont google image "necrotising fasciitis" which is what happened with or after the bite. Serious gore.
    Aww, aww, aww, what is that? Eww, he died from that? Ewww, ugh disgusting.

Protip Number 2: Don't say "Don't google, because we'll all just do that and ugh it is disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Naleas View Post
    Aww, aww, aww, what is that? Eww, he died from that? Ewww, ugh disgusting.

Protip Number 2: Don't say "Don't google, because we'll all just do that and ugh it is disgusting.
    Worse gore then the older brother Boston bomber on a morgue table.

It seems like those who have the most talent are the ones dying. Jeff was a true pioneer of metal. Many metal bands were influenced off of him such as SOAD. Lets hope James Hetfield lives to be the oldest man on earth. Slayer will go on, but they will need a permanent replacement with Jeffs power. Who will be up to the job, thats the real question. The fact he was starting to even write material for Slayer again showed he was recovering well. Leave it to the bodies organs to spoil it all, stupid liver.

As for death, its unpredictable. We could die in our sleep tonight, choke on a piece of carrot, get hit by a car on our walk, death is all around us. Its just when is the question. With scientific advancements though, hopefully more of us can reach over 100. But I'm stick of all the rockers dying personally, it seems God is in no need to go after any pop stars. Hes met his quota with Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson and Amy Winehouse. Waiting for the day headlines show something happened to Beiber.

I'm confused. Is this a thread about Slayer, or death?

If the latter, look up Wabi-Sabi. That might help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikachan View Post
    I'm confused. Is this a thread about Slayer, or death?

If the latter, look up Wabi-Sabi. That might help you.
    Its about both.