Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wobbly drawers

Default Wobbly drawers

Hey guys I just need some regular advice here. I have built my own computer and it is practically my baby... but I have it on this dresser that my father gave me after I moved out that whenever I push on it or bump it, it wobbles a bit. is has this cardboard looking backing thats ripped down the middle horizontally. I plan on buying something this week to get something a little more safe but do you guys think I will be good for now?

EEK! are we talking once 'flatpack furniture'?
    EEK!

i wouldn't trust it, if i were you. not before you've remedied it's flaws, anyway.
    you could cross-brace it (like an X) with some spare wood, but if the material of the cabinet, into which you'll screw, is flimsy (plywood, MDF and the like), it may be better to make your own cabinet from scratch.
    i suppose a general rule of thumb would be easier for determining it's suitability for use: if it can't take a blow, it's only for show.

I wonder if I'm the only one who thought this referred to something different?

Take a look at the screws or other connection devices in the dresser and see if any can be tightened. If you get yourself a thin piece of plywood rather than that cardboard, you should be stable enough longer term but see if anything is loose right now.

Oh one of those cheap things. If you want to fuss with it, tighten any screws and apply wood glue to inserts or loose areas. Like others said, it needs a better brace in the back. Break out the power tools.

Walmart has such things for 10$. I'd replace it and forget about it.

Just get a two shelf brackets, mount them on the inner sides. Use 1/2 inch screws, and boom, decent stability.(My standard remedy for wobbly furniture with masonite backing.)

Thanks guys for all your help! the damn thing collapsed on me when I tried to move it today (thank god I moved my computer off of it) and I ended up getting a nightstand from a friend of mine to put it on. I am still keeping it though so I can fix it up thanks to the advice you all gave me

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    if it can't take a blow, it's only for show.
    ... said the tart to the vicar... :-o

In the future, see if your area has an unfinished furniture store. They typically sell solid wood, usually pine or walnut. The price is significantly cheaper than fished furniture from a furniture store. You can either paint it or stain and varnish, which is what I do. Get some fine sandpaper. Sanding is important. Than wipe on the stain and let it dry. Lightly sand, wipe the sawdust off, and use a good varnish. I use the kind you put on with a rag. Because of the greatly reduced prices, all my bookcases are solid walnut and other hard woods. I'm a good refinisher.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    EEK! are we talking once 'flatpack furniture'?
    EEK!

i wouldn't trust it, if i were you. not before you've remedied it's flaws, anyway.
    you could cross-brace it (like an X) with some spare wood, but if the material of the cabinet, into which you'll screw, is flimsy (plywood, MDF and the like), it may be better to make your own cabinet from scratch.
    i suppose a general rule of thumb would be easier for determining it's suitability for use: if it can't take a blow, it's only for show.
    Don't knock kit furniture. Not all of it is bad. Get Sauder brand (Sawder???? I forty. I firgit hou to spel names.) $150 gets you a good bureau. They don't cardboard bottom the drawers and veneer cardboard. We have bookcases and a desk from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I wonder if I'm the only one who thought this referred to something different?
    Nope! I thought it referreed to a full diaper problem!