Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping Crisis! Knowing the actual capacity of a diaper...?

Default Camping Crisis! Knowing the actual capacity of a diaper...?

So this past weekend, I went camping with my folks for the first time in this 2013 camping season. The campground we stayed at is very remote up in some mountains/tall hills, and this weekend was the first weekend where it was open, so we were actually the only ones in the entire campground.

Now, usually I'm not reckless with diapers, but for whatever reason I brought along a few hidden in a backpack, on the off chance that there might be an opportunity to get one on while we were out camping.

Yesterday, both of my parents left for a long trip to a boat upholstery repair place, I came up with some cheesy excuse to stay behind. The result was having the entire campsite all to myself for at least five hours! Or at least so I thought...

To make a long story short-ish, my parents got back earlier than I had been expecting, and I got stuck wearing a bambino teddy, of all things, for the rest of the night.

I probably would have been alright, except for the fact that for some reason I drank a boatload of water yesterday, WAY more than usual. I spent hours that night looking for an opportunity to sneak off somewhere and get the diaper off before bed, but thanks to the pretty small size of our camper, I wasn't able to escape and had to go to bed still wearing it...
    I think last night was the first time where I ended up 'having' to actually go in a diaper without having the option of bailing, and going normally. Our camper has a toilet, but I know for a fact that attempting to use it in the middle of the night while also having to stealthily get a diaper off would not have worked with my parents sleeping five feet away.

After last night, I realized I've never been in a situation where I had to use a diaper while potential leaks could truly be problematic. Leaks at home, while alone in my room would obviously be lame...but that's nothing compared to what would have happen if there were leaks last night.

This got me thinking, is there anywhere that lists actual proven capacities of diapers? I was so nervous about leaks last night I ended up trying to pee 'strategically' at 3AM -_-'. I wouldn't wish a night like that on anyone, sheesh..

Visit the XP Medical website. They have a excellent chart on diaper tests and capacities. Here's a link XP Medical - Incontinence Supplies

You could off simply pulled the diaper down without ripping at the tapes, peed, then pulled them back on our just keep it off.

WOW! that must have been a very restless night. Sorry you had to go through that...Maybe leave the diapers at home next time, or not?

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    You could off simply pulled the diaper down without ripping at the tapes, peed, then pulled them back on our just keep it off.
    That was actually what I started to do oddly enough! It took like 2 seconds of crinkling to realize just how loud it was. What's worse is that from where the bathroom is, my parent's bed is very nearby. The camper itself isn't huge, and unfortunately the only way to ensure they never saw or heard anything last night was to simply hold as still as possible under the covers all night long. :s

There was actually one moment where I was trying to pull some sweatpants back on over my diaper in the bathroom when I must of moved in the wrong way or something, because it crinkled REALLY loud. After that happened in the dead of night I decided to throw in the towel and just go back to sleep and hope for the best. :P Sleeping in a camper in the mountains in the middle of the night...you could hear a mouse fart.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmInside View Post
    WOW! that must have been a very restless night. Sorry you had to go through that...Maybe leave the diapers at home next time, or not?
    Definitely...I've actually brought diapers camping before, but this was the first (and ONLY, I hope..) time where I've had to sleep in one with my folks nearby. Part of it was fun in an adventurous sort of way, but it's definitely not worth the anxiety! Especially with having to use it throughout the night, Eeeek.

I'm just glad I managed to get the wet diaper thrown away this morning without incident. Guess my luck hasn't totally run out.

Just bear in mind that the "scientific" way of measuring a diaper's total capacity isn't accurate in real life. I am supposing one might dunk the thing in a tub and carefully weigh the diaper before and after... or maybe see how much the water level drops. Don't be fooled by exaggerated capacity claims a maker may claim.

In real life you will find that your position in it (sitting, standing, or lying down) makes a big difference. Another critical factor is how fast you wet it: the slower the better. It takes a bit of time for liquid to soak into it: this is known as wicking. It's really easy to overflow a diaper by flooding, which is peeing really fast. (This is a serious problem for many dl's since wearing the thing can cause an erection that lasts ages... which prevents you from going... until you suddenly let go... and flood... and leak.

The fit makes a difference: how tight or loose it is, and your personal size and shape, as well as exactly which diaper you are using. Experimenting is strongly recommended.

Avoiding leaking while using a diaper to its fullest extent is kind of its own science. I will say this though: that wearing while driving can lead to leaks, where the front and crotch are soaked but there is like 4 inches at the rear bone dry. Lying on your side can lead to problems as most people move in their sleep and "squishing" a soaked portion can squeeze out a leak even with a lot of the diaper still dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    Just bear in mind that the "scientific" way of measuring a diaper's total capacity isn't accurate in real life. I am supposing one might dunk the thing in a tub and carefully weigh the diaper before and after... or maybe see how much the water level drops. Don't be fooled by exaggerated capacity claims a maker may claim.

In real life you will find that your position in it (sitting, standing, or lying down) makes a big difference. Another critical factor is how fast you wet it: the slower the better. It takes a bit of time for liquid to soak into it: this is known as wicking. It's really easy to overflow a diaper by flooding, which is peeing really fast. (This is a serious problem for many dl's since wearing the thing can cause an erection that lasts ages... which prevents you from going... until you suddenly let go... and flood... and leak.

The fit makes a difference: how tight or loose it is, and your personal size and shape, as well as exactly which diaper you are using. Experimenting is strongly recommended.
    That's for sure! A while ago I had a diaper that must have gotten half-destroyed in the machine, because it was missing two tapes, and had a large section of extra plastic (that went beyond the wings). Since it was mostly unusable I figured I'd use it for testing. That thing took so many cups of water from the sink it was insane. Of course it fell apart and got SAP beads all over after I was tossing it out, but still...impressive absorbency!

Honestly I'm amazed the one from last night never leaked...Looking back, I seemed to do almost everything wrong as far as wetting goes, and somehow there were no leaks. Suppose I should be grateful...

I remember one of my biggest concerns last night was the possibility of someone noticing that chemical smell from a wet diaper. Thankfully, the one benefit from drinking so much water (and the subsequent pee -_-) was there was almost no smell that I could detect. My parents certainly didn't seem any more the wiser this morning once we were awake, that's for sure. Just have to hope they don't go snooping through the trashcan over by the bathhouse any time soon. :/

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    Visit the XP Medical website. They have a excellent chart on diaper tests and capacities. Here's a link XP Medical - Incontinence Supplies
    Woah, what an interesting chart!

Unfortunatly my particular kind of diaper doesn't seem to have been tested...but still, very interesting! The guys at XPMed really did a great job scientifically testing out the various brands.

By the way, what is 'Wicking distance'? I pretty much understood all of the tested categories, except for that one.

The "wicking distance" is the point where you initally wet and where the pee is gradually absorbed into the sap.
    For me most of my pee is absorbed from the front and into the crotch area. I seldom have it make it up the back of
    my diaper. If I feel getting wet on my backside it's definately time for change. If your diaper has wettness indicaters
    you can tell how much your diaper wicks.

Personally, I like Tranquility and its off-brand Select because all products are marked with their volumes. northshoremedical.com also has some capacities listed.