Thread: First-time cloth buyer.

Default First-time cloth buyer.

Sorry for yet another first-timer thread, but the other ones are closed.

So I've decided I want to try cloth diapers. I already know that I want an all-in-one with baby prints and preferably velcro (but I could try other types of cloth diapers), something that isn't as widely available as solid white, pin-fastened cloth diapers and plastic pants, and I don't know what's the best place to order from. I don't live in either the EU, nor the USA or Canada, so my ordering options are further limited.

I found a site (Dreamcare) that has designs I like: Online ABDL Store - Cloth diapers | DreamCare but those diapers seem a little too expensive, and I'm afraid shipping (to Mexico) will double the price. Babykins Adult Cloth Diapers, Cloth Adult Diapers - Babykins & Kins Products has better prices and they do ship to international locations, but I was wondering if you could recommend other sites to buy from.

Also, is there anything I should be aware of before buying cloth diapers? I am planning to give them light use (not filling them to the max or wearing them all day long).

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Here's one to check out. all in one adult baby cloth diapers Monika has several baby prints. She does ship international. I would email her and find out her rates.

There is another website called baby pants. I hope that link works for you. I had to start using cloth at home because the cost of 24/7 for IC is alot. I will say that after the startup costs it saves alot of money. The key is to get quality products. I recomend an AIO pull up style outer cover which are available at babykins. I think they are part of the layer up and down system as they call it. Underneath that you should try one of babypants cloth diapers which I find to be very good quality. I also use snappis to fasten them, they seem to do less damage to the diaper than pins. I wear the contour diapers under the AIO during the day and at night when I need more protection I use a standard prefold which is way more absorbent. Make sure you do a pre soak when the diapers are dirty(or wet). I just put them in the machine and run a rinse load with no detergent. After that you should use something like charlies soap to wash them, this soap is very mild and causes no problems with skin irritation. If you do not do this you will notice they pick up a funky smell after a while. I like the velcro AIO diapers for ease but beware the velcro is not as long lasting as you might like. Cloth diapers absorb much quicker then disposables so I have less leaks overall but make sure you change as soon as you feel wet because once a cloth diaper feels wet it is going to leak. I hope that this helps

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    Here's one to check out. all in one adult baby cloth diapers Monika has several baby prints. She does ship international. I would email her and find out her rates.
    I liked those designs very much. OMG the choice is overwhelming. I think I'll have to widen my diaper budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjust2 View Post
    There is another website called baby pants. I hope that link works for you. I had to start using cloth at home because the cost of 24/7 for IC is alot. I will say that after the startup costs it saves alot of money. The key is to get quality products. I recomend an AIO pull up style outer cover which are available at babykins. I think they are part of the layer up and down system as they call it. Underneath that you should try one of babypants cloth diapers which I find to be very good quality. I also use snappis to fasten them, they seem to do less damage to the diaper than pins. I wear the contour diapers under the AIO during the day and at night when I need more protection I use a standard prefold which is way more absorbent. Make sure you do a pre soak when the diapers are dirty(or wet). I just put them in the machine and run a rinse load with no detergent. After that you should use something like charlies soap to wash them, this soap is very mild and causes no problems with skin irritation. If you do not do this you will notice they pick up a funky smell after a while. I like the velcro AIO diapers for ease but beware the velcro is not as long lasting as you might like. Cloth diapers absorb much quicker then disposables so I have less leaks overall but make sure you change as soon as you feel wet because once a cloth diaper feels wet it is going to leak. I hope that this helps
    I had heard about baby pants before, their diaper selection didn't interest me because they are mainly solid colors, but giving the site a closer look, I found some training pants I really liked: Baby Training Pants for Adults Also, thanks for the tips. It's a shame to see that velcro doesn't last much. I was considering it because it makes the diaper look better, and I don't have to use nasty pins, which I'm afraid of :P looks like buttons are the way to go, since I can't order online too often.

Quote Originally Posted by ZodiacPup View Post
    I liked those designs very much. OMG the choice is overwhelming. I think I'll have to widen my diaper budget.

I had heard about baby pants before, their diaper selection didn't interest me because they are mainly solid colors, but giving the site a closer look, I found some training pants I really liked: Baby Training Pants for Adults Also, thanks for the tips. It's a shame to see that velcro doesn't last much. I was considering it because it makes the diaper look better, and I don't have to use nasty pins, which I'm afraid of :P looks like buttons are the way to go, since I can't order online too often.
    If you buy from monika be sure to wash your cloth before wearing them

what is your plan for washing ?

i ordered from monkia she had a buzz lightyear one and sadly she doesnt have them any more but o well. was totally worth the wait and the money. if you order and are doing washing by hand or are air drying be sure to order atleast 2 that way you never have to go with out a cloth diaper on your self .

if you are planing to use monikas be sure to pick up a pair of plastic pants because they do have a tendacy to get really damp on the out side making a unpleasent mess so ya keep this in mind. (i myself dont have plastic pants but if i wet them i am careful to make sure i am not getting anything soaked in urine.

ALSO

if you plan to use this for more then 1 wetting be sure to pick up a stuffer this will provide more absorbing material.

just incase your thinking the prices are to steep relize how much you are saving

say you wear 5 diapers a week at 1.50 a diaper there are 4 weeks in 1 month and 12 months in 1 year.

the cloth AIO from monika range from 28 - 40$ USD
    the stuffer is 8USD
    plastic pants are 20 - 40$ USD

The Cloth package is around 88$usd which lasts a very long time (over a year at least)
    now you have to clean these diapers and stuffer and wat not thats about 5$ at most a month * 12 so thats about 60$ a year for cleaning of this diaper

Dispoables
    So 5 diapers a week * 1.50 a diaper * 4 weeks * 12 months = $360 a year for Diapers AT LEAST

Cloth
    1 Diaper washed 5 times a week is 5$ for cleaning in 1 month * 12 months = $60(yearly) + 88(one time charge) = 148(for the first year every year after is $60(for cleaning))

My sir that is a 212$USD savings.

so ya its really your choice do the slave labor of cleaning diapers or pay 212$ for disposables :\ i know what i chose

EDIT

ok i am not finished

i am one that likes to wear 24/7 so you would need roughly 2 - 3 Cloths (you could use 2 but thats your choice it requires more washing)
    1 for morning chage 1 for mid day change 1 for night change

that is 120$ for AIO cloths you also need 2 - 3 plastic pants which is roughly another 120$
    you also need 3 stuffers which is 24$

you will need to wash these diapers daily which will probly cost around 10 - 20$

so heres how this would work you use 2 change into third wash the 2 dirty ones.

so if you were using disposables it would cost you 1.50 a diapers * 3(diapers a day) * 7(one week) * 4(one month) *12(1 year) = $1512 a year to wear 24/7

using cloth would cost

One time FEES
    120 for 3 cloth diapers
    120 for 3 plastic pants
    24 for 3 stuffers
    264$ USD

Yearly Costs
    10$ for 1 week of washing diapers and plastic pants * 4 = 40 * 12 = 480 For 1 year of cleaning diapers roughly

so ya diapers would save you about 1100$ if you went 24/7 with 3 cloth diapers so yea your choice

I had heard about baby pants before, their diaper selection didn't interest me because they are mainly solid colors, but giving the site a closer look, I found some training pants I really liked: Baby Training Pants for Adults
    I can confirm that their training pants are fantastic. I have the "My First" ones -- the thickest ones. They're quite functional as diapers, though of course you need to wear waterproof pants if you intend to use them for that purpose.

I also have some of the Baby Pants prefold diapers, both in birdseye and twill. Prefolds are my thing, but as they are quite unlike disposables, I definitely understand why they would not be your first choice.

Anyway, enjoy whatever you end up with!! I love cloth diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by PaSS View Post
    If you buy from monika be sure to wash your cloth before wearing them
    Really, you should wash any cloth diaper multiple times before wearing it. New cotton fabric has natural oils and other gunk on it, and until those are stripped the diaper's absorbency will be very poor. Also, most cloth diapers will shrink at least a little during the first few washes, and some will shrink a lot. Never pass final judgement on the fit of a cloth diaper until you've washed it at least three times, I would say. Well... unless it's already too small after the first or second wash!
    Last edited by Cottontail; 24-Apr-2013 at 04:44. Reason: content

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Really, you should wash any cloth diaper multiple times before wearing it. New cotton fabric has natural oils and other gunk on it, and until those are stripped the diaper's absorbency will be very poor. Also, most cloth diapers will shrink at least a little during the first few washes, and some will shrink a lot. Never pass final judgement on the fit of a cloth diaper until you've washed it at least three times, I would say. Well... unless it's already too small after the first or second wash!
    I wonder if I should order a bigger size to compensate for the shrinking, then. I'm currently hitting their upper limit on Medium. Is the shrinking so bad?

I wonder if I should order a bigger size to compensate for the shrinking, then. I'm currently hitting their upper limit on Medium. Is the shrinking so bad?
    It depends on what diaper your thinking about. I'm wearing the size Large Dependeco's and I really haven't noticed shrinkage. I have 8 of these and now useing them for 5months.
    I do wash mine by hand and air dry them. I don't have laundry facilities so I'm limited. I wish could air dry them outside. Also don't use fabric softner on them. I use Arm&Hammer
    with Oxi Clean.

If you have anymore questions you can send me a PM.

Assuming you're talking about the Dependeco diapers by Monika, you may want to drop her a note if it's not spelled out somewhere on the site. Or else perhaps oleman or another who's used these diapers will chime in. EDIT: Oops -- already did!

Shrinkage varies a lot according to fabric type. The twill prefolds I use will shrink 10-15% over five washes. The Baby Pants training pants lose a whole size (I learned that the hard way).

As Cottontail said, you have to wash them multiple times in order to get full absorbency. It took my ABU cloth velcro about 4 washings before it absorbed well, and about the same for my homemade cloth diapers. Once you've washed them a few times, they'll be great.

Enjoy cloth diapers...the money you save is well worth it. I know I'll never go back to disposables