Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Swings: Indoor & Outdoor

Smile Baby Swings: Indoor & Outdoor

Ever try to squeeze yourself into either one? I'd never try an outdoor park baby swing for fear of getting wedged in the seat too tightly. Do a search on Youtube by "stuck baby swing" and you'll see lots of people get stuck really good, some even having to be pried out by the local rescue squad. Talk about embarrassment!

Now, the indoor variety is another matter altogether. It's the smallest baby item I've successfully squeezed into without too much problem. Though, like highchairs, I can only fit in the older ones that don't have an outer plastic seat shell. This is very similar to the one we bought for our children 23 years ago: "SWYNGOMATIC" BABY SWING 35 YEARS OLD GREAT CONDITION - eBay (item 260319109529 end time Nov-30-08 10:52:01 PST) The seat is all canvas so it can expand to easily fit my hips down in it. The only drawback is the seat-to-top bar height is a bit short which means I had to lean back to avoid it while swinging.

Wish I had some extra cash to bid on this one because we accidently through out the box containing our original swing seat and swinging mechanism. It somehow got mixed up with boxes of junk we were tossing. All I have is the set of legs left. But, I'm determined to get an exact replacement for it. I've even figured out a modification to lower the seat about 6 inches so my head will clear the swing bar. A swing like this one was the first baby item I ever had *B dreams about being in way back in my teens, though oddly it was many years later before I actually got in one for the first time. Felt really exciting to finally experience IRL what I had dreamed about years before.

~Pramrider

that thing looks like a deathtrap for babies. I have one in my attic but the crank looks like it is rusted...and the seat is blue, or whats left of it.

God I think about how unsafe a lot of baby stuff was back then.

My parents used to have an old stroller, probably bought in the '50s. The frame was all chromed steel, and it was big. As a high school student, when I was home alone, I would get into it. With the exception of my legs being too long, I fit in it fairly well. I have no idea how even a toddler would have been comfortable in this, a five year old probably would have been a comfy fit.

http://i9.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/f0/ed/1db9_3.JPG

The bottom frame of this is close to what it would have looked like, the pram/carriage part would be replaced with a chair.

As an aside, my eldest nephew at about five sat in one of cousins carseats that was just sitting around, and pulled the seatbelt thing over his head and fastened it. He was very distressed to find out he couldn't reach the release button.

where i live they have swings that are liek a ugh plastic car seat with the thing that comes over the shoulders and locks inbetween the croutch.

one winter i sat in it and pulled hte harness hting over me and locked it and i started swinging and i fell asleep in it, it was so dam confy

Hahaha! I thank you very much Pram for tipping me off to search that on youtube. That's something I never thought of but is pretty hilarious. Looks painful but I can't quite figure out how they got in those in the first place! It shall forever be a mystery. Seems it was all in good fun so all is well in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by h200420012 View Post
    that thing looks like a deathtrap for babies. I have one in my attic but the crank looks like it is rusted...and the seat is blue, or whats left of it.

God I think about how unsafe a lot of baby stuff was back then.
    Even the one we had from the mid-'80s was made like this one with no safety harness. Our daughter loved that swing, but our son didn't like it at all. Only difference with ours was that there was a plastic play tray on the front of the seat. We'd sit a plushie on it to keep her company while she was swinging.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    My parents used to have an old stroller, probably bought in the '50s. The frame was all chromed steel, and it was big. As a high school student, when I was home alone, I would get into it. With the exception of my legs being too long, I fit in it fairly well. I have no idea how even a toddler would have been comfortable in this, a five year old probably would have been a comfy fit.

http://i9.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/f0/ed/1db9_3.JPG

The bottom frame of this is close to what it would have looked like, the pram/carriage part would be replaced with a chair.

As an aside, my eldest nephew at about five sat in one of cousins carseats that was just sitting around, and pulled the seatbelt thing over his head and fastened it. He was very distressed to find out he couldn't reach the release button.
    Valentine, that pram is a Bilt-Rite model made in the US. They used to make fancy, European-style prams until about the 1970's, then still made smaller strollers until possibly merging with Century Children's Products in the early '90s or going out of business altogether. Our children's stroller is a 1984 B-R model. I can fit in it OK, but it has sentimental value to me so I don't get in it anymore for fear I might damage it by tearing the upholstery loose or something. Here's the stroller model I rode in as a toddler - http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Vintage-...1%7C240%3A1318 - an all wood and metal Taylor-Tot. Notice no harnesses back in those days, only a handle for the rider to hold onto. I still recall bumping down the sidewalk in mine with mom pushing me.

Quote Originally Posted by LostPup View Post
    where i live they have swings that are liek a ugh plastic car seat with the thing that comes over the shoulders and locks inbetween the croutch.

one winter i sat in it and pulled hte harness hting over me and locked it and i started swinging and i fell asleep in it, it was so dam confy
    Our nearby park has one of those. I haven't had a chance to try it out and doubt I could get the harness locked with my size. I've been wanting to get on the regular swings lately since I haven't for a long time, but there's always been a couple cars parked down there even on icky weather days. Wish these people would stay home for once so I can play a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyph View Post
    Hahaha! I thank you very much Pram for tipping me off to search that on youtube. That's something I never thought of but is pretty hilarious. Looks painful but I can't quite figure out how they got in those in the first place! It shall forever be a mystery. Seems it was all in good fun so all is well in the end.
    You're welcome, Zyph! Years ago, shoe store salesmen always had a thin metal "shoe horn" which helped you fit the heels of your feet into new shoes that were stiff from not being broken in. Everytime I see one of these vids of someone trying to get into a baby swing I think that's what they need - a very LARGE shoe horn. After posting this thread, I remembered actually trying a park baby swing when the kids were little. Both my wife and I were there. The swing seat was a half bucket type with a detachable restraint chain on the open side. I loosened the chain and tried to fit myself in it, but it was just a tad too restrictive for my hips. My wife just thought I was being goofy.

~Pramrider
    Last edited by Pramrider; 01-Dec-2008 at 14:46.

Sorry, I have not been interested in baby swings or strollers. The driver seat of some vehicles bother me in their small size. I could not imagine trying to fit into a baby swing. If it was made to fit me, I would probably have fun. Otherwise, no thanks.

I haven't tried one of those swings, but when we used to go to the truck-ins in the 70's and 80's m freind had 2 small boys, so he used to leave the small lawn chairs in his van all the time, and he would always put them out of the truck when we went someplace,

So they were my chairs when the kids were not around, but mostly the kids liked sitting in the adult chairs even when they were there, I had lots of room and they were quite comfortable for a small guy like me, I will have to hit the playground and see if I can fit into one of those.

pram go during a winter night after it snowed it be cold when when you get into the swing its like its not their any more, im 6'2 so it would fit you if your below that, when i got my secound bottle it was liek 8 pm and i was walking home through the park and i was drinking it out in the open and holding it in the open and their was no one around lol

i think its real cute that kids get stuck in those swings, swings are fun! i used to sit in the baby ones all the time might still just about fit...hmm... tempted to find out but its far too cold outside at the moment