Thread: Downton Abby

Default Downton Abby

Does anyone else watch this? I've just recently gotten into it, and I'm almost up to date. I never thought I'd get into something like this, but I just can't stop watching it! I'm completely addicted to it!

-Gus

I've never really seen the attraction in those kind of costume dramas....is it akin to a soap i.e. do you need to be clued up on characters?

I started watching it when it appeared on Netflix, but it just upset me when that horrible woman tripped up the disabled guy

I never thought I would either, but it's facinating. It's more of a history lesson on the end of the aristocracy. If you read the episode guide for the first episode it helps a bit, but after that, things just pick up and roll.

-Gus

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    I started watching it when it appeared on Netflix, but it just upset me when that horrible woman tripped up the disabled guy
    Oh don't worry, he gets even with her. She's just evil!

-Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Angusmac View Post
    I never thought I would either, but it's facinating. It's more of a history lesson on the end of the aristocracy. If you read the episode guide for the first episode it helps a bit, but after that, things just pick up and roll.

-Gus
    If you want to hear about the end of the aristocracy you should read 'The Strange Death of Liberal England' by George Dangerfield... fascinating history and worthy of a TV adaptation in it's own right.

I love Downton Abby. I find the story fascinating as glimpse into the lives of people from a bygone era, in some ways similar to Titanic absent the maudlin love story. This genera is similar to my own novel that I hope to have published one day, except mine takes place about a 100 years earlier, still in England. I do agree it has a "soap" opera feel at times, but to me that only adds to the intrigue. If you've not seen it, I recommend it, especially if you are into historical pieces.