Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to auditon for some bands

Default Going to auditon for some bands

For a singer/keyboardist for a band in Fort Collins and one in Boulder. The one in Fort Collins is called Devil Gets Five and the one in Boulder is The Coalition. The one in Fort Collins leans toward alternative rock like The Used and MCR while the one in Boulder is more toward hard rock like Foo Fighters (which I'm not acquainted with at all).

Anyone have any suggestions how I can ace my audition?

1) know the bands material and be ready to play it if they ask.

2) Don't be obnoxious. There is nothing worse than auditioning a guy with an over inflated ego, most people want to be in a band with somebody they can stand; i.e. somebody they don't mind having a beer/chatting with.

3)Prove to them that you are serious about the gig, nobody wants a fly-by-night band member. They want the guy who is dedicated to practicing and who will be on time to the gigs.

Some other tips I have for you just about the whole gigging band ideology: make sure they don't exploit/use you, I was once involved with a band who only wanted to use my jam space and weren't serious about gigging at all... second tip, make sure they don't push you too hard. If they have a 4 hour set list, they should give you reasonable amount of time to get caught up to speed.

Most important of all, find out how often they gig and what their pay split is. Don't be the guy who only gets $50 a night while the rest of the band clears $200.

-Ron

Sometimes you'll be asked to jam with the band, sometimes you'll be asked to perform a song or to improvise a little something. If you feel comfortable doing these things, you'll do fine. Just know, that even if you ace it, they may decide you're just not a good fit for them. Don't let that get to you.

Make sure you have at least a couple songs in the right genre ready to perform. Sometimes they only have enough time to hear one song before they have to listen to the next person, so choose the songs carefully.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes you'll be asked to jam with the band, sometimes you'll be asked to perform a song or to improvise a little something. If you feel comfortable doing these things, you'll do fine. Just know, that even if you ace it, they may decide you're just not a good fit for them. Don't let that get to you.

Make sure you have at least a couple songs in the right genre ready to perform. Sometimes they only have enough time to hear one song before they have to listen to the next person, so choose the songs carefully.

Well the Front range music scene is looking rather slim nowadays, so lets hope you bring something new to the table. No Bueno and A-Ok's are really the only FANTASTIC local acts and i believe both are out of denver, and No Bueno i think just broke up. I dont know too much about the scene in Ft Collins but i hear its really Bo-ho so if you know a lil about the music you are going to be playing you should be a solid bet.

Bands always went after me, so I never had to audition, but Ronbest is right on. Listen to what he's telling you. There's nothing worse than playing in a band, and all your gig money is going up the nose of the leader who gets the pay check.

Know at least a couple pieces in the genre of the band, so that you have something to audition with. They'll probably pick one of their songs and you'll have to play with them. That can be difficult unless you know your stuff.

Well the guy for the Ft. Collins band asked me to write lyrics to the MP3 song he had sent me via email. I believe that might have been what I will be auditioning to for that band. For the other band in Boulder, they want me to do two covers from Foo Fighters. I'm not that acquainted with the Foos and my voice is somewhat different from Daves. I sent them a couple songs I think would better showcase my voice, noting that I would still do the FF songs. I'm still waiting for a response.

I might still consider putting together my own thing, but I want to see how this stuff goes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbeast View Post
    1) nobody wants a fly-by-night band member
    What about a RUSH cover band?

Quote Originally Posted by Zazi View Post
    What about a RUSH cover band?
    Ahh damn it... I knew somebody was going to say that, it was only a matter of time :p

Although, it would be tough to find a suitable Geddy Lee, Neil Peart or Alex Lifeson. Those guys are nuts and insanely good musicians.

I wouldnt want to join a cover band really. I'd like to do a shitload of covers but not dedicate a band to doing covers in a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbeast View Post
    Ahh damn it... I knew somebody was going to say that, it was only a matter of time :p

Although, it would be tough to find a suitable Geddy Lee, Neil Peart or Alex Lifeson. Those guys are nuts and insanely good musicians.
    Umm... I think you need to watch the Foo Fighters inducting them into the Rock & Roll Hall of Shame by playing 2112's overture... I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

And here is a link