Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubisoft Studio Exec believes we are ready for always online

Default Ubisoft Studio Exec believes we are ready for always online

Ubisoft Studio Executive Believes ‘The Audience is Ready’ for Always-Online | GenGAME They couldn't be anymore wrong.... What are your thoughts on all of this?

If everyone had this 'World's fastest' home internet service hits Japan with Sony's help, 2 Gbps down then yes I would agree, always connected is the way to go but frankly speaking, our infrastructure is trash. Paying so much for crappy internet and compared to the US as a whole not everyone has atleast 20Mbps down yet. Not including if their network goes down, we can't play anything. I would prefer how it is now. If I can't connect to the net then I should still be able to access local content.

Yeah, I honestly don't see why companies are suddenly jumping on the "Always Online" bandwagon.

If ISP's need to do any kind of maintenance to their service or even your individual service, that might interrupt your gameplay time because if the game is "Always Online" you won't be able to play it until your internet comes back on. There are so many things that can be said and this is only one of them, but I know other people are going to say them anyway so...yeah.

Considering uplay, I have a hard time believing Ubisoft are the people who should be talking about always-on. Personally I hate always on because I've had internet go down before, and for a short period no internet outside of school (I use to make sure Steam was logged in before I left school so I could play at home later).

the only way i see this remotly benificial for companys is if there is an offline mode which will allow for game play but limited on features. i have 15 close friends and a total of 9 do not have internet at all so if everything goes online only they would be screwed out of next gen consoles and new games for the rest of their lives. all in all not a very smart move on the part of developers.

Didn't they just stop using always-online DRM in an effort to win over PC gamers not too long ago?

I guess he's right in the sense that we have embraced "quasi-always online" game services like Steam, always online video services like Netflix and always online music services like Pandora.

Ultimately, want it or not, always online games are just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    I guess he's right in the sense that we have embraced "quasi-always online" game services like Steam, always online video services like Netflix and always online music services like Pandora.

The thing about those services is there are alternative ways to access the same content. With always online games (like simcity) no Internet means no play.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post

This is honestly where I think that people will begin to just...not buy the consoles or just lose interest in it because of that being such a turn off. I know that may sound like the worst thing that could happen, but considering the gaming communities reactions and opinions on some choices that have been made recently, that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Default Ubisoft Studio Exec believes we are ready for always online

Quote Originally Posted by BraddyPoniTaku View Post
    This is honestly where I think that people will begin to just...not buy the consoles or just lose interest in it because of that being such a turn off. I know that may sound like the worst thing that could happen, but considering the gaming communities reactions and opinions on some choices that have been made recently, that wouldn't surprise me in the least.
    Its not a hypothetical. Steam is always online (ya, offline mode - its still fundamentally always on) and gamers fucking worship Gabe Newell's ass. What matters is the implementation and marketing (i.e. NOT calling it always on, ever, for any reason).

Valve pulled it off, there is no inherent reason that Microsoft, Sony or UbiSoft can't. They just need to be more forgiving to people that momentarily lose Internet access.