Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am i the onl y one who thinks the word "fetish" shouldn't be used to describe the AB side of things?

Default Am i the onl y one who thinks the word "fetish" shouldn't be used to describe the AB side of things?

I really don't like using that word to describe my AB/BF/DF side because it usually seems to have sexual connotations. And i most definitely don't want to associate this sort of thing with sex at all. I prefer to keep such things separate. Is anyone else here like that?

Countdown

There are, but I'm not one of them.

I believe "Adult Baby Syndrome" was coined (or attempted to be coined) for non-sexual ABs.

Quote Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
    There are, but I'm not one of them.

I believe "Adult Baby Syndrome" was coined (or attempted to be coined) for non-sexual ABs.
    I actually like that term, since I do not see my little side as sexual. To me, I am little because it is a part of me.

i dunno about syndrome -_- that kinda makes me think of downs syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by CeriseHope View Post
    I actually like that term, since I do not see my little side as sexual. To me, I am little because it is a part of me.

i totally agree with you, my little side is supposed to be innocent, sex should not be involved in the least in that regard, otherwise it completely ruins that aspect for me.

Definitions of a fetish:

1. An inanimate object worshiped for its supposed magical powers or because it is considered to be inhabited by a spirit.
    2. A course of action to which one has an excessive and irrational commitment.
    3. The sexual arousal a person receives from a physical object, or from a specific situation.

It just seems to me that for a lot of people this IS a fetish, under definition 2. I mean, how many people here are persecuted for what they do (I'm thinking people that have told their parents, lost girlfriends over it...) but have still stayed committed to being an AB. Of course, a lot of people assume fetish to be a kinky thing, and while it can be, it's not always.

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Definitions of a fetish:

1. An inanimate object worshiped for its supposed magical powers or because it is considered to be inhabited by a spirit.
    2. A course of action to which one has an excessive and irrational commitment.
    3. The sexual arousal a person receives from a physical object, or from a specific situation.

It just seems to me that for a lot of people this IS a fetish, under definition 2. I mean, how many people here are persecuted for what they do (I'm thinking people that have told their parents, lost girlfriends over it...) but have still stayed committed to being an AB. Of course, a lot of people assume fetish to be a kinky thing, and while it can be, it's not always.
    Yeah, the first part of the last sentence is why I won't see it as a fetish even by definition. How would one define irrational and excessive though? Aren't those subjective words?

i still wouldn't use it because most people tend to automatically think that its sexual when you use that word, regardless of what the word "Fetish" can actually mean, they usually think its the last one.

I don't believe being an adult baby is in itself a practice that by definition is irrational, excessive, or something that causes sexual arousal. So to that end, being an AB is not always a fetish, which I think pretty plainly means that fetish is indeed a incorrect word by definition to describe it as a whole. It may describe some people, but not all, such as the OP and myself.

I very much dislike the word being used to describe my feelings, because that's not how they are. I've heard arguments that it is easier to explain and I'm not arguing against that, it might be "easier" to describe it that way for the non-initiated because it describes a large portion of the group.

Honestly though, I admit to getting a bit frustrated with this topic. I don't often, but it feels like the word fetish is forcibly used by some people, because it allows sexual DL's to try to convince the public that they rightfully don't want to be babied 24/7 or run away from being an adult. They want to be taken seriously as adult people just with a kink, which makes sense.. I understand the notion that this is something that doesn't describe them, and they want it known who they really are. The thing I don't like is this attitude that the people that are interested in perhaps being babied in large chunks are a great shame to the entire community. To me this new love of calling it a fetish is just the reverse problem because now those with non-sexual interests don't want to be thought of as someone who likes wearing diapers that way. Not that there is anything wrong with that, that just isn't what some people want to be thought of as... it's the same situation as before. So I think we are going to continue seeing people uncomfortable with this constantly described as a fetish, which is something I've wanted to bring up but the OP obviously had more courage then myself. We all need to take a step back and realize that such definitive labels, defining this specifically as one thing or another when trying to explain who we are is a lot more harmful then it is helpful.
    Last edited by gigglemuffinz; 15-Apr-2013 at 11:50. Reason: Added section.

I do not think fetish should be used to describe us because as everyone here has said and i will say it again. it suggests that being ab or being a little boy or girl has sexual implications to it. whereas for most of us it has b=nothing to do with sex. although i do undestand for some people it is sexual. but for me and others it is not. for me it is just how i am.

i have a lot more childish traits(is that the right word to use ? i hope so) which may explain why we fell more likelittles or ab's.

this is just my thoughts on it. i may be wrong or i may be right but thats what i think anyways.