Thread: helloWorld(Helmfried)

Default helloWorld(Helmfried)

So, here I am...

I feel that I'm a pretty normal person (though not married and no kids). College drop-out, worked in a lot of different jobs over the years but finally seem to managed to find my "thing" managing the stationary-department in an office-supply store.

I stumbled onto this forum by accident while researching what brand and model to get since I'm still looking for "my" brand at this point. I've been a DL for as long as I can remember, but it's only been in these last few years I've taken the final step. I read a few posts here before joining, and I can't say I've had a binge/purge cycle yet, I just do it in "small doses". I think I'm more prone to DL when I get stressed. I guess it's a bit like a security blanket for me. I only DL in my own place too.

I play baseball with friends, watch good movies and TV series (BRING BACK FIREFLY!), like good music, try to learn to play the guitar. I co-host a podcast (totally unrelated), so that's why I guess I'm a bit reluctant to share too much about myself (yet).

I think my main reason to join ADISC is to just have an outlet to be "me" so that I can be my "professional me" IRL.

Default Re: helloWorld(Helmfried)

Welcome, I'm very much like you in that i try to have a professional me, and an other me as well. I have been through many purge cycles, but have stopped that as I am becoming more accepting of myself. In time I'm sure you will too as you get more experience. All of us here are quite nice and its okay if you aren't ready to share, and don't feel pressured to share more than you want to. We all are at differing comfort levels so welcome to the place where you can be you.

Quote Originally Posted by Helmfried View Post
    So, here I am...

I feel that I'm a pretty normal person (though not married and no kids). College drop-out, worked in a lot of different jobs over the years but finally seem to managed to find my "thing" managing the stationary-department in an office-supply store.

I stumbled onto this forum by accident while researching what brand and model to get since I'm still looking for "my" brand at this point. I've been a DL for as long as I can remember, but it's only been in these last few years I've taken the final step. I read a few posts here before joining, and I can't say I've had a binge/purge cycle yet, I just do it in "small doses". I think I'm more prone to DL when I get stressed. I guess it's a bit like a security blanket for me. I only DL in my own place too.

I play baseball with friends, watch good movies and TV series (BRING BACK FIREFLY!), like good music, try to learn to play the guitar. I co-host a podcast (totally unrelated), so that's why I guess I'm a bit reluctant to share too much about myself (yet).

I think my main reason to join ADISC is to just have an outlet to be "me" so that I can be my "professional me" IRL.
    Hey there Helmfried! Your intro was really well written, and very awesome! It's wonderful to welcome you to ADISC, a wonderful support site that you are now a great member of! If you need some outlets, a place to feel 'you' and to express things that you can't otherwise express well.. ADISC will sure do it's best to give you support in that. I know that for me, though our needs are different.. ADISC has shared with me the same sort of thing. Here I can be the girl I really want to be everywhere, and gain a little more courage towards being that everywhere. It's a little different, because you don't want to change your behaviors around the outside... but I don't really want to walk around in full baby gear and a super thick diaper either. Don't worry!

I haven't really had the binge and purge stuff that other people talk about, but I guess it's partly because I think this stuff is kinda.. sweet and cute? I think there are plenty of things that are way worse. Call it something from growing up sheltered, but I just don't really see why people think this sort of thing is such a big deal. It seems, like I described.. kinda cute. ^_^

Oh, baseball. I'm an Arizona girl and tend to have allegiance towards the Diamondbacks, but watching them can be a tad frustrating. Always with the flipfloppy mediocre-bad years with one 'pretty good' year tossed within giving me all kinds of unnecessary hope for better years when they end up bad! Don't worry about feeling nervous about sharing details, a lot of people around here are the same way. Out of curiosity, when did you first start wanting to play the guitar.. and how often do you practice?

I hope you get a ton of good advice, give a ton, and have the outlet you are looking for. I hope ADISC is a good site for you! I'm excited to see you around and hope you have oodles of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Helmfried View Post
    So, here I am...

Hi there Helmfried and welcome to the ADISC forums!

Gigglemuffinz already beat me to the punch here and always writes the best replies so there isn't too much that I can continue with afterwards. As she already stated, there's no need to feel nervous about sharing details or even asking questions. From my short time here, I can already tell you that this community is full of wonderful and understanding people.

I hope you find what you're looking for here, and above all else, have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by gigglemuffinz View Post
    Here I can be the girl I really want to be everywhere, and gain a little more courage towards being that everywhere.
    I'm plenty content being a DL at home. Less chance of embarrassing situations.

Oh, baseball. I'm an Arizona girl and tend to have allegiance towards the Diamondbacks, but watching them can be a tad frustrating. Always with the flipfloppy mediocre-bad years with one 'pretty good' year tossed within giving me all kinds of unnecessary hope for better years when they end up bad! Don't worry about feeling nervous about sharing details, a lot of people around here are the same way.
    I'm all about the orange and black. I'm sure I'll share more over time, I just need to warm up...

Out of curiosity, when did you first start wanting to play the guitar.. and how often do you practice?
    I started playing some 18 years ago, lost interest and picked up a guitar a few months ago. I try to practice three-four times a week, but it's not always doable (I work a lot).

I hope you get a ton of good advice, give a ton, and have the outlet you are looking for. I hope ADISC is a good site for you! I'm excited to see you around and hope you have oodles of fun!
    Tyvm.

professorbock

Hi, Helmfried! Congrats on having a diverse lifestyle. You certainly sound like an upbeat person whose been through good and bad times, whether an amazing day at your retail store, or a really crappy weekend movie.

I'm sure you'll fit in well here. You've got a lot more fun things going for you than many guys your age who I know.

Enjoy, and please, feel free to ask questions. You have a very conversational and universal way of writing. Personally, I like that.

So, yesterday I decided that I should just embrace who I am and so I had my first "wear to work" day.

I chose to use some really discrete MoliMed for Men just to minimize the chance of anyone noticing (I work with a couple of really narrow minded old guys and some guys my age, one of which is my boss and my friend).

Since it was an OK experience I decided to "wear to work" again today. I won't repeat this for a while now since I've proven that I can.

Feels good to have broken a barrier or two with this.