Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harsher punishments for those who abuse dogs?

Default Harsher punishments for those who abuse dogs?

Theres really not enough justice that is put in place for dog cruelity. Look at what I have below:

Physical Abuse
    (e.g. implanted collar): $5,000 fine and 2 years of prison time, larger consequences can be deemed depending on injuries.

Mental or Emotional Abuse
    (e.g. result from dogfighting): Take convicts to a desert-like environment in 100 degree temps (not including humidity and dew point) picking up garbage without much water. In addition, 5 years of prison time would be served.

In addition to these sentences, the humans committing theese types of cruelity would have to go through what the dogs went through.
    What do you think?

Default Re: Harsher punishments for those who abuse dogs?

I agree that offenses against animals is completely wrong and punishments should be more harsh, but you are forgetting that while those things are crewel and unusual punishment for the animal, law states you can't have a crewel and unusual punishment for the criminal. Its nice to see your passion on this issue, but i can't see putting the human through an embedded collar or forced labor with not enough water will fly in or judiciary system.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluehusky View Post
    I agree that offenses against animals is completely wrong and punishments should be more harsh, but you are forgetting that while those things are crewel and unusual punishment for the animal, law states you can't have a crewel and unusual punishment for the criminal. Its nice to see your passion on this issue, but i can't see putting the human through an embedded collar or forced labor with not enough water will fly in or judiciary system.
    I'm glad you see my point. Our judiciary system is too messed up, lets say someone kills many dogs. They wont get the same sentence for life they would killing humans left and right. Like a Jared Laughner type of human. By fining them and letting them go, its just a slap on the wrist and wont do any good.

So you are saying an microchip implanted in a dog is physical abuse? it is no different than getting shots, and such, and is more reliable in case the collar falls off.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    Theres really not enough justice that is put in place for dog cruelity. Look at what I have below:

Physical Abuse
    (e.g. implanted collar): $5,000 fine and 2 years of prison time, larger consequences can be deemed depending on injuries.

Mental or Emotional Abuse
    (e.g. result from dogfighting): Take convicts to a desert-like environment in 100 degree temps (not including humidity and dew point) picking up garbage without much water. In addition, 5 years of prison time would be served.

In addition to these sentences, the humans committing theese types of cruelity would have to go through what the dogs went through.
    What do you think?

Whilst I do agree that animal cruelty isn't taken seriously enough by the law... there's a few things:

"going through what the dogs"
    - Well that's the old "eye for an eye" thing and it would degrade our society even further ... so nope.

And what the heck is wrong with the "implanted collar" (microchip-collar) instead of a dog tag?
    Honestly - if we're talking about the same thing ( Microchip implant (animal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) - then I really fail to see the cruelty behind it.
    Actually here it's mandatory to have your dog or cat "chipped" - same goes for many european countries.
    And I think it's a good thing... doesn't hurt the dog / cat... (trust me I've seen it being done a dozen times... and the dog mostly doesn't mind, except for being at the vet' ).
    Also if you like to have your dog off the leash and off the real collar once in a while it's also good.
    Just about a month a go a good friend got his dog back because of the chip.

a impanted collar if your referring to microchiping is done via a shot likely no bigger then a needle used for bone marrow transfers or even drawing blood/donating blood. Plus it has reunited countless owners with their dogs and has seemingly no lasting effects other then increased safety of said dog.

dog fighting is horrible though and I wish the minimum fine for it was at least 6 months to a year in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    a impanted collar if your referring to microchiping is done via a shot likely no bigger then a needle used for bone marrow transfers or even drawing blood/donating blood. Plus it has reunited countless owners with their dogs and has seemingly no lasting effects other then increased safety of said dog.
    Exactly - there is a greater good.

Michael Vick should have been put to death for what he did.

What he did is not just a result of cultural upbringing. What he did is...he's just sick, and evil, and...something is very, very, very wrong with him. He didn't do your typical dog fighting, the way he treated the "failures" sickened even his criminal cohorts.

That's not a result of upbringing, that's a result of a sick, evil, depraved monster. It's terrifying that he is allowed around his own children or in public.

~

Implanted Collar - he's referring to neglect, not active physical abuse. Where a collar is put on a young puppy, and they are chained and ignored, allowing the collar to grow into the flesh as the dog grows. It is exceedingly painful for the animal, potentially deadly, and very difficult to remove in some cases.

I'm not a big fan of legislating minimum or maximum sentences. Judges and juries should be able to determine an appropriate sentence based on the circumstances of the case. Legislators have made an abysmal mess of the judicial system by doing so.

Even so, I'd like to see, as a general rule, light sentences for the first offense. Give people a chance to reform, make them take some mandatory ethics classes as a condition of probation. Sometimes this truly is a result of a person's poor upbringing. Temporary ban on owning or caring for any animal while they are on probation. They can get one more chance.

If it happens again, however - steeper penalties/sentences and a lifetime ban on owning or caring for any animal. Further violations result in steeper fines and prison sentences.

I realize problems would arise from giving even just companion animals the same legal status as humans as far as the criminal justice system as concerned (while I might like to see Vick put to death for what he did, I realize that wouldn't be a fair nor sane sentence - particularly since I'm wholly against the death penalty. That's just my emotions talking.), but we really ought to have higher penalties than we do currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Draugr View Post
    Michael Vick should have been put to death for what he did.

What he did is not just a result of cultural upbringing. What he did is...he's just sick, and evil, and...something is very, very, vehttp://www.adisc.org/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1038777ry wrong with him. He didn't do your typical dog fighting, the way he treated the "failures" sickened even his criminal cohorts.

That's not a result of upbringing, that's a result of a sick, evil, depraved monster. It's terrifying that he is allowed around his own children or in public.

~

Implanted Collar - he's referring to neglect, not active physical abuse. Where a collar is put on a young puppy, and they are chained and ignored, allowing the collar to grow into the flesh as the dog grows. It is exceedingly painful for the animal, potentially deadly, and very difficult to remove in some cases.

I'm not a big fan of legislating minimum or maximum sentences. Judges and juries should be able to determine an appropriate sentence based on the circumstances of the case. Legislators have made an abysmal mess of the judicial system by doing so.

Even so, I'd like to see, as a general rule, light sentences for the first offense. Give people a chance to reform, make them take some mandatory ethics classes as a condition of probation. Sometimes this truly is a result of a person's poor upbringing. Temporary ban on owning or caring for any animal while they are on probation. They can get one more chance.

If it happens again, however - steeper penalties/sentences and a lifetime ban on owning or caring for any animal. Further violations result in steeper fines and prison sentences.

I realize problems would arise from giving even just companion animals the same legal status as humans as far as the criminal justice system as concerned (while I might like to see Vick put to death for what he did, I realize that wouldn't be a fair nor sane sentence - particularly since I'm wholly against the death penalty. That's just my emotions talking.), but we really ought to have higher penalties than we do currently.
    Yep, thats exactly what I was talking about with the collar bit.

The only problem I see with light sentences is it is much like giving the humans a slap on the wrist. People who are heartless enough to do dogfighting (this is a big problem in Philiy), let dogs bleed and die probably will not reform for the better. Its like a story my mom told me when she worked as a nurse, a cocaine addict comes in to get a liver transplant, when he is released from the hospital, he snorts cocaine the minute he gets in his car. Same thing here. They play the black market when they do dogfighting and they are no better than the Mafia. But there are some good people out there who may just make the mistake such as they have too many dogs and financially they cant provide for them.

If you have ever seen Animal Cops on Animal Planet, theres this judge who really just awards the dogs to the SPCA and gives the human a fine. But in some cases that isnt enough, far from enough. Humans and dogs are both living creatures and if the dog is killed, thats the same as killing the human.

professorbock

Hello, all, First off, wow, there is definitely much genuine concern for the well being and treatment of animals. I absolutely feel for those suffering, especially if I see them on those animal planet shows. Humans can be neglectful, naturally. A spiritual guru once told me, "When you harm others' lives, you harm yourself," And this can be seen in the shameful behavior brought to light by new media, even with Michael Vick's illegal fighting ring.

But a question still lingers. What can we do, above from donating to animal shelters and organizations such SPCA's? What do you say to a pet owner who is clearly neglectful or malicious? And how do we as citizens react with a grassroots approach to our state legislatures for animal protection laws?