Thread: Do your adult stressors ever creep up when you RP?

Default Do your adult stressors ever creep up when you RP?

Sometimes its like I can't turn off my adult brain. When I want to sit and play with my toys I can't help but worry about bills, work, etc. I just want to escape sometimes but its hard to get my head into that space one hundred percent. Does this happen to anyone else? What are some things you do to push the stressful thoughts away so you can enjoy your little self?
    This is my first thread ^.^ so I appreciate any feedback!

Usually before I go into that mode and mindset I have to have all my stuff sorted out. The house should be clean, my work done, my to-do crossed off. It helps me to be really organized in my daily life so when I'm ready to let go, it's alright and I can go ahead and do that. So I'd have to say for me personally I make sure that my adult life is as organized as it possibly can be and my house is also clean and organized. Then from there it's so much easier to find the time and the mindset to fully roleplay and enjoy your AB side.

Other than that, I'd say maybe it's a form of permission you have to give yourself. It sounds very similar to meditation. Perhaps what you need to do is take those adult-thoughts by the hand, and gently say "I acknowledge that, but right now I'm focusing on something else." Do not get angry at yourself for having stressful thoughts, or that makes it worse. So treat the thoughts like you would treat a child begging for attention. "It's okay, I won't forget your needs, but not right this second."

Quote Originally Posted by Frogsy View Post
    Other than that, I'd say maybe it's a form of permission you have to give yourself. It sounds very similar to meditation. Perhaps what you need to do is take those adult-thoughts by the hand, and gently say "I acknowledge that, but right now I'm focusing on something else." Do not get angry at yourself for having stressful thoughts, or that makes it worse. So treat the thoughts like you would treat a child begging for attention. "It's okay, I won't forget your needs, but not right this second."
    Thank you for your ideas. I hadn't tried meditating on my thoughts before, but I definitely see how it could be useful. I like the idea of allowing myself to put some things aside, but just for the moment. I think you are right, I do get angry at myself for having stressful thoughts and then I get into this terrible stressed out cycle.

I have yet to fully engage in a total regressive experience, but it is amazing how much the minor trivial annoyances just getting through the day that used to peeve me to no end suddenly lose their power when I remember I'm wearing a diaper, which causes me to grin so hard my face aches.

I know with some of my other activities it can be hit-or-miss; some days the guitar virtually plays itself as it rests in my hands and other days I have to really fight to keep its strings in tune, but I 'soldier through it' since I set out those times specifically for those activities and I don't want to waste the time. Possibly what might help in your case is to allow yourself a small chunk of time to be little, set a timer and if the thought of a bill comes up, tell yourself you'll think about the bill after 'little time' is up

- - - Updated - - -

I have yet to fully engage in a total regressive experience, but it is amazing how much the minor trivial annoyances just getting through the day that used to peeve me to no end suddenly lose their power when I remember I'm wearing a diaper, which causes me to grin so hard my face aches.

I know with some of my other activities it can be hit-or-miss; some days the guitar virtually plays itself as it rests in my hands and other days I have to really fight to keep its strings in tune, but I 'soldier through it' since I set out those times specifically for those activities and I don't want to waste the time. Possibly what might help in your case is to allow yourself a small chunk of time to be little, set a timer and if the thought of a bill comes up, tell yourself you'll think about the bill after 'little time' is up