Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My pee is usually bright orange...

Default My pee is usually bright orange...

Well,

With collecting pee in my leg bag and night bag, I get to see its colour, and when the nurse first fitted my catheter, she said it was a LOT darker than she would like it to be.. she said I could be on medication which turns my pee Bright orange...

I drink around 2-2.5L of fluid per day, BUT never just water cuz I hate it, it makes me gag, whether it be bottled, tap, filtered, whatever I cannot drink water on its own.

I figured at the time that it COULD be because I only drank banana milkshake or tea...

BUT, {yes, I know one should not start a sentence with but} I spent a day drinking tea (decaf with sweeteners) and vimto cordial (obviously diluted) yet still my pee was bright orange.

My dentist has today banned me from milkshake apart from with meals because of my poorly teeth, so I am now back to filling up with decaf tea and vimto cordial, I have between 2-2.5L a day...

Here is the list of meds that I currently take that I can remember off hand, if you see one that you know colours pee, do please shout out!

MST Morphine (12 hr release)
    Betahistine
    Baclofen
    Domperidone
    Desmopressin
    Citalopram
    Mirtazapine
    Amitriptyline
    Gabapentin
    Omeprazole
    Peptac
    Lactulose
    Quinine Sulphate
    Paracetamol Capsules
    Citirizine

I have just recently gotten over a nasty UTI, but still my urine is bright orange.

Very similar in colour to normal lucozade bottle lol!

Any ideas anyone?

Default Re: My pee is usually bright orange...

A website listed the following to cause a darkening orange color of urine.

Bismuth
    Chloroquine
    Cascara
    Metronidazole
    Nitrofurantoin
    Primaquine
    Senna
    Sulfonamides

http://www.globalrph.com/urine.htm is where I found the results. They have other colors listed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVimes View Post
    Well,

With collecting pee in my leg bag and night bag, I get to see its colour, and when the nurse first fitted my catheter, she said it was a LOT darker than she would like it to be.. she said I could be on medication which turns my pee Bright orange...

I drink around 2-2.5L of fluid per day, BUT never just water cuz I hate it, it makes me gag, whether it be bottled, tap, filtered, whatever I cannot drink water on its own.

I figured at the time that it COULD be because I only drank banana milkshake or tea...

BUT, {yes, I know one should not start a sentence with but} I spent a day drinking tea (decaf with sweeteners) and vimto cordial (obviously diluted) yet still my pee was bright orange.

My dentist has today banned me from milkshake apart from with meals because of my poorly teeth, so I am now back to filling up with decaf tea and vimto cordial, I have between 2-2.5L a day...

Here is the list of meds that I currently take that I can remember off hand, if you see one that you know colours pee, do please shout out!

MST Morphine (12 hr release)
    Betahistine
    Baclofen
    Domperidone
    Desmopressin
    Citalopram
    Mirtazapine
    Amitriptyline
    Gabapentin
    Omeprazole
    Peptac
    Lactulose
    Quinine Sulphate
    Paracetamol Capsules
    Citirizine

I have just recently gotten over a nasty UTI, but still my urine is bright orange.

Very similar in colour to normal lucozade bottle lol!

Any ideas anyone?
    Wow! That looks like my night stand!

Seriously I take just about the same drugs, couple different pain meds like tramadol, and muscle relaxers like tizandine...

Ah, my pee isn't orange...

I was using a cath for quite some time, but was getting too many uti's and went back to diapers...

B

If you use a straw for milkshake you should not have a problem with your Teeth. Any sweet drink or acid drinks. USE a straw. Now if your having problem with your teeth. Maybe your not bushing them right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    If you use a straw for milkshake you should not have a problem with your Teeth. Any sweet drink or acid drinks. USE a straw. Now if your having problem with your teeth. Maybe your not bushing them right?
    Nah,

My teeth have no enamel on them, due to excessive acid reflux severely eroding the enamel when I was lying down in bed for 2 years, we realised what was doing it when it was too late to prevent it doing any more damage.

I have to use a sippy type cup ("beaker" with a spout) due severe muscle weakness and nerve damage, which basically makes my mouth give up the seal around a normal mug, it also does it to my "beakers" but I get in far less a mess than I would with a normal cup as I can put the spout into my mouth and grip it with my teeth, so MOST of the drink goes down my throat, but some still spills down my front.

Link to my lidded Beakers

I have special high fluoride toothpaste, the max strength tubes I have to apply to my teeth by literally rubbing it on, I have to do this every time my teeth hurt and after I have eaten something that can further damage my teeth, then I have to use the half strength stuff to clean my teeth twice a day but not rinse afterwards, just let my teeth soak in it.

My wonderful dentist at the hospital has done 9 x 1 hour sessions under gas and air (G+A for me not him lol ) so far and I am due to see him next Wednesday for session 10, which will hopefully be the last for a while! he gives me G+A because of how scared I am of the drill and any work being done, and because of the extent of work that has needed doing.

My old dentist wanted to take all of them out they were in such a pitiful state, but my hospital dentist, who he referred me to, has been amazing in being adamant that he is going to save them and elongate their lifespan in my mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbabybret View Post
    Wow! That looks like my night stand!

Seriously I take just about the same drugs, couple different pain meds like tramadol, and muscle relaxers like tizandine...

Ah, my pee isn't orange...

I was using a cath for quite some time, but was getting too many uti's and went back to diapers...

B
    That is interesting BBB,

What, if you don't find me rude in asking, is/are your condition/s?

I was on tramadol prior to morphine, but it didn't give me adequate pain relief, so I was moved onto morphine. (I certainly wish I hadn't gone into morphine! It is a right B (no offence!) to wean off!)

I take the baclofen for "muscle relaxant" during the day and the Quinine Sulphate as a "muscle relaxant" (preventing muscle spasms on both occasions) during the night.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVimes View Post
    That is interesting BBB,

What, if you don't find me rude in asking, is/are your condition/s?

I was on tramadol prior to morphine, but it didn't give me adequate pain relief, so I was moved onto morphine. (I certainly wish I hadn't gone into morphine! It is a right B (no offence!) to wean off!)

I take the baclofen for "muscle relaxant" during the day and the Quinine Sulphate as a "muscle relaxant" (preventing muscle spasms on both occasions) during the night.
    Well,

I have many conditions now...From a car accident...

My body especially with pain meds starts to be immune to them in a very short time...So I have to switch to different over time...Sometimes in as little as a month...

Right now I've got, 2 Bad Vertebrae, 2 bad Discs, 1 blown out shoulder, 1 bad foot, One bad hip, one bad knee, and still recovering from a closed head trauma...

Most of the stuff they can fix has already been operated on...So, it's going to be like this for quite some time...most likely forever...

I was driving down a highway...Rural area when at a 45 degree crossing road a lady didn't even slow down for the stop sign...Near head on at 60 + 60...I went through the windshield after crushing the steering wheel and dash...

According to the people at the scene thought I was dead, Then I stood up...I was still in the intersection where it happened...Car and me only traveled about 10 feet from where it happened.

I don't remember much after pushing my head through the windshield, but now over 3 years later I can say it sucks...

I have lots of detached muscles and just lots of nerve damage from the blunt trauma and such...

B

- - - Updated - - -

phenazopyridine or pyridium is a pain killer that stops burning on urination. It will turn your urine bright orange.
    Last edited by chuck; 08-Apr-2013 at 13:40.