Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what defines racism to you?

Millenniumfalsehood

Default So what defines racism to you?

My personal view is that a person is racist if race is a prime motivating factor. For instance, I have the utmost respect for Barack Obama, but so many of the blacks in my community were voting for him just because he's black, not based on political views. Even some black members of my church, which is mostly conservative, voted for him for this reason.

One is also racist to me if they try to create victims out of other races in order to 'prove' they aren't racist, such as the media when Star Wars Episode I came out and people criticized it because it portrayed Jar-Jar as a Jamaican. Excuse me, I didn't know that Jamaicans looked like ducks, walked funny, and talked in pigeon English. If you formed *that* connection in your head, you must be the racist one, not George Lucas. Same with how they said Watto represented a Russian and Nute Gunray represented a Japanese person(slanted eyes and capitalistic war-mongers).

I also think that it's a bit racist to hold grudges against 'whitey' for what they did few hundred years ago. Yes, people back then own black slaves. Quit beating me over the head with it! I know that some whites were and still are racist ba***rds, but don't alienate me because of it. If I see your kids acting up, don't accuse me of being oppressive and racist towards black kids if I tell them to settle down, talk in a way that I can understand, or turn their music down. It's called common courtesy and they need to learn it before they become loud, obnoxious adults.

Okay, enough soap-boxing: what are your views on what makes a person racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Millenniumfalsehood View Post
    Okay, enough soap-boxing: what are your views on what makes a person racist?
    Believing that one race is superior to another.

racism definition | Dictionary.com

I think that sums it up nicely. I don't mind "racist" jokes as long as a racist isn't saying it. Everyone has pretty much heard or maybe even told a racist joke. But we are fine when our friends say it right? Well why is that?

Since they aren't racist and they don't mean it to put people down. Its like black people using the word "Nigger". They don't mind it being used as long as its used nicely. Yet I can't say that since I am white. So I don't mind people using racist jokes as long as they don't mean it.

If one of your friends said a racist joke about YOUR race and you think they are racist for it then why the hell do they have you as a friend if they hate your race as much as the "Ayrans" hated Jews?

Butterfly Mage

When you start thinking certain ethnic/racial groups always act the same way all the time and have no individuality or unique features, you are probably a racist. If you espouse beliefs that *all* blacks are lazy criminals on welfare, *all* Jews are cheap, *all* Muslims are terrorists, *all* gays have AIDS, *all* Hispanics are illegal aliens, you are most likely a racist.

Of course, with the aforementioned views, you could also be very welcome in the KKK or the Northern Alliance.

There are a whole lot of racists in my family and it has taken years of conscious effort to stop acting like them. Whenever I see them for holidays and whatnot, I cringe when they talk about non-white, non-christian people. (And they think I worship the devil because I'm a Wiccan. Geeeeez!)

Quote Originally Posted by Millenniumfalsehood View Post
    One is also racist to me if they try to create victims out of other races in order to 'prove' they aren't racist, such as the media when Star Wars Episode I came out and people criticized it because it portrayed Jar-Jar as a Jamaican. Excuse me, I didn't know that Jamaicans looked like ducks, walked funny, and talked in pigeon English. If you formed *that* connection in your head, you must be the racist one, not George Lucas. Same with how they said Watto represented a Russian and Nute Gunray represented a Japanese person(slanted eyes and capitalistic war-mongers).
    Yeah, I remember that. A bit silly to point fingers at Lucas, after all, it's just an action movie!

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    Prejudice can be a good thing.
    Erm... can you explain that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Prejudice can be a good thing.
    Sorry, how?

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Erm... can you explain that one?
    Sure...
    The prejudice I'm talking about is this kind:
    2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kovalchuk View Post
    Sorry, how?
    When you're walking alone at 3am, and there is a big guy with a hood on covering his face, you assume that he could be a rapist, so you move to the other side of the street and walk quickly in the other direction. That's prejudice, but maybe if you waked by that person something terrible could've happened.

Maybe I should have said stereotyping, opposed to prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Sure...
    The prejudice I'm talking about is this kind:
    2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.

When you're walking alone at 3am, and there is a big guy with a hood on covering his face, you assume that he could be a rapist, so you move to the other side of the street and walk quickly in the other direction. That's prejudice, but maybe if you waked by that person something terrible could've happened.

Maybe I should have said stereotyping, opposed to prejudice.
    No, that's fine, I just didn't understand at first. Sorry!