Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The US news media... thoughts on how it's changed for the worse

Default The US news media... thoughts on how it's changed for the worse

This has been on my mind and I have been wanting to say something about it for a while since at least the Oscars and maybe before the Oscars on how the American news networks, CNN, MSNBC and to a lesser extent; Fox News have jumped on the celebrity bandwagon and think that pop culture stars are more important than news stories.

The straw that has finally broken my back was seeing that CNN was doing an hour-long special on Justin Timberlake- JUSTIN FREAKIN' TIMBERLAKE! To me, that's not time well-spent for CNN. Instead of focusing on Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber and other pop stars, FOCUS ON THE DAMN NEWS. I would have rather seen that hour spent on North Korea or other pressing situations than a damn pop star.

Another straw that finally broke me was seeing Fox News go on for a half hour on Jay Leno possibly being replaced by Jimmy Fallon- if I got that right- since I can't tell a late-night host from one or the other- They also focused on The Tonight Show moving from LA to New York in detail as well. To me, that's NOT NEWS!

I have stopped watching CNN during the day, my TV is usually tuned to WGN America for Walker, Texas Ranger or to the MLB Network since I have lost faith in the American news networks.

I admit I have been following my news more on the internet rather than cable news and even to an extent; RT- a network I am not fond of as RT is publicly funded by the Kremlin and is known as Vladimir Putin's propaganda mouthpiece. The reason I am going to other sources is cause I cannot stand the pop-culture, reality star driven and downright shame that is CNN, MSNBC and Fox News.

I have always been one who has taken his news seriously. When I was in high school, I got ridiculed for reading the newspaper every day at lunch alone rather than socializing, I also got ridiculed for paying attention to CNN Headline News on the classroom TVs more than the gossip around the school.

So, it bothers me seeing the news networks kowtow to the lowest common denominator when there are more important stories than celebrities. For example, I want to see more coverage on North Korea, the European financial crisis, the problems here at home in the States and other pressing issues. To me, that's news and not celebrities and their ilk.

I wonder if anyone else is like me, disgusted with how low the American news networks have gone and what your thoughts on this issue? I am really curious as to what you all think of the news now. Are you as fed up as I am or do you ACTUALLY enjoy celebrity news tripe?

WildThing121675

Most of the stuff you describe that you want to see most people don't care about. I personally have 0 trust in the main stream media and have turned to more independent sources. Granted there is a lot of BS garbage on the internet as much as there is on television, and sometimes its difficult to judge what is credible and what is garbage. Unless you're in the places that are being covered on the news, you may never know what truly goes on in the world. Whether people realize it or not, what goes on in the world can have an impact on what goes on at home.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    This has been on my mind and I have been wanting to say something about it for a while since at least the Oscars and maybe before the Oscars on how the American news networks, CNN, MSNBC and to a lesser extent; Fox News have jumped on the celebrity bandwagon and think that pop culture stars are more important than news stories.

The straw that has finally broken my back was seeing that CNN was doing an hour-long special on Justin Timberlake- JUSTIN FREAKIN' TIMBERLAKE! To me, that's not time well-spent for CNN. Instead of focusing on Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber and other pop stars, FOCUS ON THE DAMN NEWS. I would have rather seen that hour spent on North Korea or other pressing situations than a damn pop star.

Another straw that finally broke me was seeing Fox News go on for a half hour on Jay Leno possibly being replaced by Jimmy Fallon- if I got that right- since I can't tell a late-night host from one or the other- They also focused on The Tonight Show moving from LA to New York in detail as well. To me, that's NOT NEWS!

I have stopped watching CNN during the day, my TV is usually tuned to WGN America for Walker, Texas Ranger or to the MLB Network since I have lost faith in the American news networks.

I admit I have been following my news more on the internet rather than cable news and even to an extent; RT- a network I am not fond of as RT is publicly funded by the Kremlin and is known as Vladimir Putin's propaganda mouthpiece. The reason I am going to other sources is cause I cannot stand the pop-culture, reality star driven and downright shame that is CNN, MSNBC and Fox News.

I have always been one who has taken his news seriously. When I was in high school, I got ridiculed for reading the newspaper every day at lunch alone rather than socializing, I also got ridiculed for paying attention to CNN Headline News on the classroom TVs more than the gossip around the school.

So, it bothers me seeing the news networks kowtow to the lowest common denominator when there are more important stories than celebrities. For example, I want to see more coverage on North Korea, the European financial crisis, the problems here at home in the States and other pressing issues. To me, that's news and not celebrities and their ilk.

I wonder if anyone else is like me, disgusted with how low the American news networks have gone and what your thoughts on this issue? I am really curious as to what you all think of the news now. Are you as fed up as I am or do you ACTUALLY enjoy celebrity news tripe?

WildThing121675
    I cant agree more with this. The media wastes so much time in this fantasy world around celebrities who have it better than us instead of revealing reality for what it is. Not to mention sugarcoating reality at times such as for the left duirng elections when the truth is needed most.

I personally think that in a 24/7 news channel.. they DO do the hour or North Korea you want them to.. and they also do an hour on practically everything else. I think they are allowed to talk about things like that what you are describing once in a while. If you leave your channel on CNN there is tons of things like that, but whether we like it or not the goings of celebs are "news' it's just not news everyone cares about. Still, enough people care about it and that's enough for me, it's fine for me if they talk about it. These people do shape our history, even if it's not on the same scale as your George Washington's.

Do I think an hour of it is a bit excessive? Yes. But do I understand that they can talk about that for an hour and still in that day on every bit of news going on that day the American public needs to know? Yeah, I do. They have to keep talking about something for the large amount of time they have. Better to talk about something else then the constant repetition.. they already have to do that to some degree.

I'm not saying you have to like the hour focused on a person, I'm just personally saying that I think about the people running it.. and try to be open to what it's like to run one of the channels. The pressures to keep people watching, I would rather they talk about something uninteresting for some but interesting to many then make something up or anything like that. It could be a lot worse.

I listen to NPR and often get news I don't care about. They tend to swing the opposite way, giving finite details about little know countries. They do a great job, however, and I learn a lot. Interestingly, Justin Timberlake is big at the moment. I've seen him on several shows in the last two weeks, including Saturday Night Live. He is very talented, but he's not news. Justin Beiber has become news for all the wrong reasons, as he's been acting like a complete ass. He's important in the news because Obama is thinking about parachuting him into N. Korea. In a short time he should demoralize their entire nation, and worse, chase the unicorns out of N. Korea and into S. Korea. What a loss that would be to N. Korea, as the unicorns are their greatest national treasure!

The news media are bias, sensationalistic and corrupt. I've been involved in a a few local issues and it is amazing the speculation, innuendo and out right lies they print to get attention grabbing headlines. Never believe the propaganda you are fed, especially from the PBS system.

- - - Updated - - -

The news media are bias, sensationalistic and corrupt. I've been involved in a a few local issues and it is amazing the speculation, innuendo and out right lies they print to get attention grabbing headlines. Never believe the propaganda you are fed, especially from the PBS system.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Amen to that.

The news media has a lot of biases related to its incentives, such as a bias towards attention grabbing headlines, a bias towards celebrity, and a bias towards herd mentality.

There's not much of a specific bias politically in the mainstream media, with the exception of the biases of stations that cater specifically to one side or the other (and lest I fail to preemptively harp on my pet-peeve here, the competing mainstream politically biased outlets are not equally biased). There are, however, huge biases towards herd mentality and towards middle ground, ironically because mainstream outlets are so concerned with allegations of being "biased" that they will do whatever they think will be most perceived as even-handed.

For actual insightful coverage of the news, these days, I turn mostly towards blogs by smart people with strong track records. That is where I've found data-driven analysis tends to originate these days: in a written format where the journalist can lay out the data and assume that the reader doesn't need to be grabbed by poignant headlines.

As of late, I've been using the internet, alternative media and news I can trust. However, some of the alternative news sites a friend suggested to me such as Infowars and others are too much into the conspiracy theory elements spouted by it's owner Alex Jones- who is someone I cannot stand by the way. So, I'm cautious about what to take seriously for my news.

It's nice to not feel alone in this. I would take RT more seriously if they weren't a Russian tax-payer mouthpiece for Vladimir Putin but hey; it's better than nothing sometimes. I'm a man who cares about the issues, the problems around the world more than celebrities and their ilk. I also watch CCTV News, the Chinese news channel that I get- it's in English by the way- I also watch BBC World News as well and other networks. I've never been fond of Al-Jazeera so I avoid that channel. It is nice to have more options but sometimes, even I wonder about those international channels.

The mainstream media finally has lost what little respect I have for it with all the celebrity bullshit. CNN; you lost a long-time viewer in me.

WildThing121675