Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some tech advice needed

Default Some tech advice needed

Hey guys, so im fairly sure my computer has a virus or something. I installed a dodgy game and since my laptop has been acting really slow, i have uninstalled the game and ran avast and that hasnt helped. so what else should i do? All help is greatly appreciated as i am completely incompetent with this stuff. ohh and i defragged my machine aswell.

Thanks guys (ohh and im asking here because this is pretty much the only forum i go to)

Smile

Assuming it's running Windows, give MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) a go. Download the free version, check for updates and do a full scan: Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download

Spybot - Search & Destroy is also pretty good (although MBAM is better): Spybot - Search & Destroy from Safer-Networking Ltd.

Trend Micro have a free online virus scanner. Normally you can only have one antivirus running on your PC, but this works online without permanently installing anything, so it's useful as a kind of "second opinion" antivirus: Free Online Virus Scan - Antivirus Software - Trend Micro USA

Run each of these (in the order listed). Hopefully that should fix things (although you should make sure your backups are up-to-date and scan the backups for malware after cleaning your system).

Hope that helps :-)

Thanks tiny, this helped alot, ill let you know if it fixes the problem, and yup i am a pc user

If the above doesn't help I could try to find the virus for you. I used to work for a anti-virus company and my job was to help with virus removals shoot me a PM if you still need help

Prevention is the best solution, but tiny has some good suggestions. You can also get personal help from someone you know who has computer experience.

Default Re: Some tech advice needed

Or you could bite the bullet and format the drive and re-install windows.

Better still, get rid of windows altogether and install Linux

<--[Hates Microsoft]

PaddedPuppy

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVimes View Post

<--[Hates Microsoft]
    Could work, but if the thread starter doesn't already have a backup of all their files, they would probably copy stuff now. If they copy an infected file they are only going to cause the same problems on the fresh install.

If only it was so easy for everyone to switch to Linux. Some people need Windows. If you work for a company that requires you to be running Windows for their software, or have a college assignment that requires a Windows only program (for example Microsoft Visual Studio suite, which will not run with WINE) then there isn't a choice.

If you reeeeaaaallllly want to bite the bullet then reset the computer to it's factory settings. It will completely wipe the drive and re-install it's factory settings and protected software. I have done this twice with great success. I saved only my pictures and reset it. The real work comes with customizing your computer again and installing any programs you may have used a great deal before. Your computer should run like the day you bought it.

Then again, it could be the same as what CaptainVimes stated. I don't know much about corrupted files either.

One other thing you might want to do is see what programs run on startup. The easiest way to do that is to look at these keys in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

The first key lists the startup entries for the current user; the second for every user of that machine. If you do a web search for each value you can probably find out what each does and whether you want it running automatically on startup or not.

You can back up the keys before deleting anything, or (what I do) create a new shortcut on the desktop & copy the name and data values from the registry. That way you get an icon you can double-click to start the process manually. If you do decide you want it to run automatically again, you can either restore the registry value or move the shortcut to your "startup" folder.

Or, just format and reinstall the OS if it's really messed up (assuming your backups are up-to-date).

Let us know how you get on!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMcAwesome View Post
    Hey guys, so im fairly sure my computer has a virus or something. I installed a dodgy game and since my laptop has been acting really slow, i have uninstalled the game and ran avast and that hasnt helped. so what else should i do? All help is greatly appreciated as i am completely incompetent with this stuff. ohh and i defragged my machine aswell.

Thanks guys (ohh and im asking here because this is pretty much the only forum i go to)
    How to be protected from malware, virus etc ??? Fuck out the windows from PC and install linux OS (like ubuntu, which very user friendly.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVimes View Post

<--[Hates Microsoft]
    like myself