Thread: diaper storage

Default diaper storage

Is there any chance of doing damage to unopened packs of diapers by storing them in an outside closet? Right now it's still freezing, but it'll change to very hot temperatures soon enough- so I'm concerned with both the and cold issues.

Well I think the biggest problem you'll probably run into with drastic changes in climate: humidity.

I think none of the packs are perfectly air-tight - so humidity could get trapped inside, build up and basically ruin the batch.

But that's just in theory... I guess there's tons of diapers stored in storage-facilities that are not heated / AC... so I guess not much different than an outside closet....

Maybe throw in one of those silica bags (dry bags, silica gel)...?
    like make a slender incision to the pack put the dry bag in and duck-tape it shut.
    I guess then you'd be really fine...

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Maybe throw in one of those silica bags (dry bags, silica gel)...?
    like make a slender incision to the pack put the dry bag in and duck-tape it shut.
    I guess then you'd be really fine...
    If there's enough moisture to ruin a pack of diapers, do you really think a little pack of silica gel is going to do anything?

The diapers have polyacrylate in them anyway which is what turns the wet into gel. If you're that worried about moisture, go down to the Home Depot and grab a plastic storage box with a snap-lock lid for $5-10. That ought to hold well enough

Humidity is going to be the biggest problem. You don't want the diapers to get damp and allow fungus to grow...

Other than that, extreme heat/cold or rapid temperature changes might cause problems with the adhesive tapes...

as per Tiny, regarding mould growth.
    you can get rid off the smell by airing them, individually, for several days or weeks (depending on airing conditions).
    i've kept mine stored in our shed, double-bin-bagged and i make sure to air-out the shed on warm days.

not sure how long one can go on storing dispies, but i've got a couple from 2009 airing on the radiator beside me, and some of the vintage dispies that i've bought also air-out (smell-wise), although their SAP is sometimes hardened.
    the SAP thing is a bit of a hum-and-ahh, too: the older gels, once wetted and then dried, hardened into resin-like globules, whereas the newer versions seem to be able to undergo several cycles of wetting and drying.