Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Disabled Toilets

Default UK Disabled Toilets

This is beginning to enoy me emensly.

Why am I finding tha tdisabled lools are now usually only have Sanitary Towel binds. I cannot sqeeze my Nappy into one of these.

Which makes me ask the question this must be a problem for others who are Inco and use the all in one nappies such as Tena Slips or Molicare Super. If you are using pads usually they will go in without to much effort.

Just set your nappy on top of the sanitary napkin thing in a tight taped up ball. They will figure it out. Maybe leave a note? I have done this before.

PaddedPuppy

I keep a couple of plastic bags in my backpack all the time. So if I ever can't get my diaper in a bin after changing straight away I can bag it up and throw it in the nearest available bin as I find one. Most of the time the disabled toilets I change in do have a large yellow bin/bag that I can easily get it in though.

I also always carry plastic grocery bags for discreet disposal. I just find the lack of cans disturbing. One bathroom on my campus had an adult changing table and no can.... really...

Tesco sell scented diaper sacks which are large enough to hold an adult diaper and they are ideal for use in this sort of situation. If I have to change in a public bathroom I'll always double bag the diaper and simply throw it in the first suitable bin I can find. I wonder if it's a cost cutting measure or if the owners of these places just haven't considered that they may be needed.

ducksegg001.

I'm IC as well.. though I mostly wear pads or pull-ups during the day, with a few exceptions where I opt for a "real" nappy like Attends M8 Reg. or a Tena Slip Plus.
    and yes, I change frequently as I don't like sitting in my own urine for hours.

however the one thing I don't do, even though I could get an Euro-Key: Disabled toilets.
    Sure, no big deal, especially if you have any physical disabilities.
    But honestly, I don't think IC on it's own makes it necessary to use a toilet for disabled people.
    I like to think myself as "not disabled" in any way.

But that's not the point:
    I know that it can be frustrating having to deal with used diapers at toilets.
    But here's the thing: I use the regular toilet stall... and I have a few dark/non-seethrough thing bags with me. Once balled up I put the diaper in one of these and walk out... if I'm concerned about the other poeple, I "hide" it within the jacket or my ruck-sack, messenger bag,etc... and just throw it in the regular trash can, that's most likely in just about every normal washing-area toilet... if it ain't I carry it this way to the next public trash can.
    I've been doing that ever since school, and it has worked without a glitch.

always carry two 1-galon freezer (double zipper) zip lock bags in with your diaper change kit. After changing, put the wet diaper in the bag and compress it down as much as possible before sealing. It should stay that size for several hours without odor. (leaving a bag like that will eventually pull in air, and may start to smell after a couple days, if tossed in say a garbage can that doesn't get emptied regularly) This is a much better solution than a garbage bag.

Thanks for all your coments, I note most are refering to wet Nappies/diapers, mine are usually full of Poo, and not that keen on the idea of putting these into my backpack to dispose of later, but do like the idea of leaving one ontop of sanitary towel bin though, if if gives them the message then it maybe worth it.

Black non see through bags which are of a Nappy sized, if only I could get those. Bin Liners are not all that opaque even when they look black.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSmall View Post
    paper bags are opaque...
    Yeah, they are, but they are a hassle to carry around in a compact form, they don't retain liquid very well either - in case the balled up diaper decides to leak.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by duckeggs001 View Post
    Thanks for all your coments, I note most are refering to wet Nappies/diapers, mine are usually full of Poo, and not that keen on the idea of putting these into my backpack to dispose of later, but do like the idea of leaving one ontop of sanitary towel bin though, if if gives them the message then it maybe worth it.

Black non see through bags which are of a Nappy sized, if only I could get those. Bin Liners are not all that opaque even when they look black.
    I see there's more of an issue with Bowel-IC involved.
    However as far as I am concerned: Why a disabled toilet at all in case of IC (unless you're in a wheelchair, which makes all the difference, or have any other serious physical disability that requiers you to have a lot more space (restricted movements in tiny toilet stalls)).??

In most "normal" toilets, by the sink or by the door there's a trash-can.
    No one gives a "shit" what you throw in there - you don't have to be all ninja about this... just put it in a zip or plastic tie-up bag, take it out of the toilet (well hide it under the jacket, or hold it low if you must) and bin it, wash up and leave.
    and if there's none, well I know it's a not nice to carry used diapers around, but honestly unless you are in a very rurual area, there's public trash-cans quite widely spread through

then there's plastic bags especially made from opaque material for "hygiene-products".... can be ordered online.

the other thing is this: in case you live in a place where they have those Dog-Poop-trash-cans with the plastic bag dispenser for the dog owners to pick up the "product" ... you can get those bags in quantity from a distributor... they're really TIGHT ... non-see-through, will take a normal diaper easily, and they're well, a dog-poop-bag... so no one will bother