Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If Mitt Romney were elected

Default If Mitt Romney were elected

So lets just say November 6th played out differently. Obama got 250, Romney got 270. The headlines in the papers the next day were, "Romney beats Obama 250-270". Inaugeration Day comes and the sequester is prevented, ObamaCare is extinct and more and more doctors begin to accept new patients. President Romney sits in the Oval Office, making peaceful negotiations with Israel and Iran puts off anymore of a sign of nuclear warfare.

Romneys 5-Point plan goes into effect, the national debt begins to fall starting t 15 million and a predicted decline by 2020 would be 9 million, around the time the Bush era ended and the Obama era started. Job growth grows, dozens of businesses are championed, and the economy begins booming once again.

And to make icing on the cake, Romney puts energy plans, including additional oil resources up in Alaska and Siberia, into place and gas comes down to $2 a gallon.

Would've that been a nice outcome?

Inaugeration Day comes and the sequester is prevented, ObamaCare is extinct and more and more doctors begin to accept new patients. President Romney sits in the Oval Office, making peaceful negotiations with Israel and Iran puts off anymore of a sign of nuclear warfare.

Romneys 5-Point plan goes into effect, the national debt begins to fall starting t 15 million and a predicted decline by 2020 would be 9 million, around the time the Bush era ended and the Obama era started. Job growth grows, dozens of businesses are championed, and the economy begins booming once again.

And to make icing on the cake, Romney puts energy plans, including additional oil resources up in Alaska and Siberia, into place and gas comes down to $2 a gallon.

That would be nice, sadly it doesn't follow from your initial premise...

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    So lets just say November 6th played out differently. Obama got 250, Romney got 270. The headlines in the papers the next day were, "Romney beats Obama 250-270".
    I bet you think Disco sucks too?

Politics make me sick to the extent that I can no longer convince myself that [the candidate I rooted for] has all the right ideas. I don't know how anyone believes that the country would become so markedly better if one candidate or the other were elected instead. Both parties have had their chances over the last couple decades. Neither is capable of creating a utopia. We elect someone with that utopia in mind but all we can really shoot for is the least damage.

I thought this thread was about if Romney got elected, not if someone capable of being a president got elected.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverKnow View Post
    We elect someone with that utopia in mind but all we can really shoot for is the least damage.
    People shouldn't elect someone with a utopia in mind, because that's never going to come.

This sounds like a massve collection of right-wing blog bunk. Things wouldn't have been better with Romney, and probably not being god awful "we all gonna die!" like some far left might think. Would I rather have President Obama over Romney? Yes, but (hopefully) realistic enough to realize it wouldn't have had much impact.

First off, the gridlock in Congress would still be there, and last I checked the opposing parties President usually doesn't control the other side (the leaders would be Reid, Pelosi, and the DNC likely). So anything requiring Congressional approval wouldn't have happened. Iran wouldn't just roll over because Mitt is in power, if anything I'd imagine they'd be more pissed because Romney would likely be more lovey-dovey with Israel.

The economy doesn't just turn around in a couple months, and I've yet to hear it mentioned anywhere (outside of conservosphere) that austerity has been working, nor that trickle down would work. In fact, if I remember correctly, the IMF found that the policy of austerity had a negative to no effect on the countries they pushed it on yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MsClaraRiddle View Post
    People shouldn't elect someone with a utopia in mind, because that's never going to come.
    Agreed. But they do. All politics is framed by people who insist that they have solutions. Programs are never as successful as it is claimed they will be.

I guess this makes sense because politics is competitive by nature, so the person who doesn't boast unrealistically about the sheer awesomeness of what he will (or could have) accomplished... will not get elected. So maybe I'm just being bitter when I say politicians and their supporters constantly imply that they have some hope of achieving a utopia.

That's why I can't stand debates about politics, anyway. I understand that this is the nature of politics and it can't really be any other way. But I hate it, and I hate the fact that to be a "responsible citizen" I need to latch onto one idiot or another and espouse his ideas until he wins and upsets my ideals. One person can argue about how great his programs will be, but then he'll get in office and they won't be quite as good. And then when it comes to reelection he will claim that it was the other party's fault.

My personal belief these days is that red or blue, no President could get much done with a split congress. So I don't think things would feel any different then they do now.

Other then that, I have no issue with how Obama has behaved as president so far and would like to believe that as of right now I would feel the same with an alternate Romney president. All men and women have their pluses and minuses, and I do personally that like Obama, Romney would want and would strive to do his best for this country.

I wish the topic had been written out a bit more open-ended, and asked if perhaps things like the fiscal cliff drama and other things might have been different had Romney elected. I don't personally think that would be the case, but it would allow for some reasonable and intelligent discussion that way.

Though such a discussion is probably too soon, would be nice if we could have more then this tiny amount of 2013 so far to work off of.
    Last edited by gigglemuffinz; 22-Mar-2013 at 06:02. Reason: Added more, wasn't happy with the amount of context.

To be honest, I don't know why this is even being discussed. This thread is only about 4 months late to the table. Discussing what ifs is also not going to help anything and feel that this threads main purpose was to start political drama on the site. We get enough drama from the religion threads that pop up. Face fact that Romney lost and nothing will change that. Nothing would be different if Romney was President, because as everyone else already explained, Republicans would not control Congress. Romney would try and fail at revoking Obama-care and the rich would get their tax cuts.

The only thing I see different is that Romney would have placed a firm boot up North Korea's rear end the moment they threatened us.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    So lets just say November 6th played out differently. Obama got 250, Romney got 270. The headlines in the papers the next day were, "Romney beats Obama 250-270". Inaugeration Day comes and the sequester is prevented, ObamaCare is extinct and more and more doctors begin to accept new patients. President Romney sits in the Oval Office, making peaceful negotiations with Israel and Iran puts off anymore of a sign of nuclear warfare.

1. The sequester is not prevented, it's what "we" republicans wanted. I say "We" since its the tea party-ish people in office who wanted it. the people who want to cut every dime they can as long as its not from age related social sercuity or medicare and the millitary.

2. Obamacare would of stayed. Herwes why.. The senate is controlled by the democrats. Most of them passed it or would of supported it, they wouldn't not vote to strike down the law they wanted.

3. Romney has NO clue on diplomatic relations, thinking he can get Iseral and iran to make peace is one of the most insane idea's I've heard. If you think he's that good on something he has no experience in at all, then pray tell why the hell doesn't he do that as a citizen? You DON'T have to be president to make positive changes in this world.

4. The POTUS has little to no control over sumbiting and aprooval plans all by themselves at least not stuff like "energy plans/bills". Gas won't be 2 dollars a gallon ever again I think simply because there's not enough competition in the market. Its the same thing in the cell phone industry there's 4 major companies and everyone else gets the scraps off those network's cell towers. For instance remember how you could get UNLIMITED data from AT&T and Verizon but now you got to pay 500 dollars for 50GB of data from AT&T?

You think the same thing hasn't gone on in the gas industry? BP, Chevron, Shell, Exxon are the only 4 gas companies I know of and some have had record profits year after year, after year. So it's not like they are hurting for money.

Oh look at that people are paying 3.50 per gallon willingly because they have to in order to get to work 15-80 miles away! let's not drop it down past 3 dollars anymore.

Also I don't hate romney... Okay, fine I do now. But that wasn't always the case! Back in my 2008 posts I bet you could find a post by me saying I voted for Romney in my 2008 California Primary because let's be honest screw McCain he was a flip-flopper and look at his horrible VP choice.

But Mitt's fellow republicans blew him apart in the primary season and even after that Mitt constantly failed to beat obama on debates asides the first time where Obama was likely trying to draw Twilight Sparkle or some shit like that on his podium.