Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Baby powder/Corn starch question

  1. #1

    Question Baby powder/Corn starch question

    Hi all!

    Well, I'm going to be dog/horse/goat/house sitting this entire week at a family member's house while they are gone down to Florida....all by myself!

    I managed to time the delivery of some brand new teddy bambinos to where I'll have an entire case available for this whole week. The only thing I forgot to bring along was a tiny sample size thing of baby powder I had bought for this weekend, whoops!

    Anyways, I did some digging through one of the bathrooms here, and found a bottle of what I thought was baby powder, but apparantly its some kind of 'Johnsons Corn Starch'...?

    Does anyone know anything about this stuff? Is it ok for use for diapers? It smells different, but somehow similar to normal baby powder...

    Any advice?

  2. #2

    Default

    I use both. J&J baby powder and J&J corn starch with Lavender & Chamomile. I like them both real well and haven't really any chafing or rash
    problems. J&J also has a corn starch with Aloe.

  3. #3
    Cherub

    Default

    I use cornstarch because I've heard and read the talcum powder can cause cancer. So I think you should be alright with the corn starch.

  4. #4

    Default

    Awesome! Usually I'm not desperate for some sort of baby powder type thing like this...I'm only really asking because tomorrow I'm gonna have a ton of chores that involve a lot of physical labor.

    I know from experience that being diapered in the barn stalls with a bunch of impatient animals while it's even slightly warm out (it's supposed to be in the 70's tomorrow) is asking for trouble. Besides...this newfound cornstarch stuff smells kind of nice in a way!

    UPDATE!: Corn starch apparently makes dogs sneeze.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
    I use cornstarch because I've heard and read the talcum powder can cause cancer. So I think you should be alright with the corn starch.
    It's complicated. There have been a few studies that suggested a link: namely when you force a rat to breathe the stuff in for several hours a day[1]; talc is only really considered dangerous if it contains asbestos, but this article [2] says that consumer talc products have been asbestos-free since the 1970s, so we're safe.

    [1]: Abstract for TR-421 - Talc (CASRN 14807-96-6) - National Toxicology Program
    [2]: Talcum Powder and Cancer

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm all for not getting cancer. But frankly, if the likes of talc are a cause for concern then I'm already a goner. Living around around a family like mine comes with certain risks, such as being exposed to dangerous materials like my uncle's 'Nuclear Chili'.

    In other news...what is the purpose behind corn starch anyways? Is it drastically different than typical talc baby powder?

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Dan09 View Post
    I'm all for not getting cancer. But frankly, if the likes of talc are a cause for concern then I'm already a goner. Living around around a family like mine comes with certain risks, such as being exposed to dangerous materials like my uncle's 'Nuclear Chili'.

    In other news...what is the purpose behind corn starch anyways? Is it drastically different than typical talc baby powder?
    Ironically I have used Clabber Girl corn starch for a much different purpose. When I used to have a job that involved ALOT of walking (usually for up to 13 hours) I used it at a friends recommendation to avoid chaffing wich I was experiencing and was quite painfull. It worked very well and is much cheaper than powders or talc. I have never used any powder while being diapered though but may try it for the simple pleasure eventually as I get quite invested at the idea everytime I see a pic of a diapered bottom and the powder residue everywhere. It simply would add to the notion of being "properly" diapered. Dangit! This kink has no end!!!

    Be advised: Powder or corn starch will prove no match for the "Nuclear Chili"

    Also, I have not read anything on talc being cancerous unless used in the state of California. If you live elswhere you are safe

    The effectiveness of corn starch is very similar to that of talc. They both provide exceptional friction barriers and wick-away an amount of moisture.

  8. #8

    Default

    I use the baby powder with corn starch in my diapers and it works great.
    it also helps absorb some of the excess wetness.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ilostthesheriff View Post
    Ironically I have used Clabber Girl corn starch for a much different purpose. When I used to have a job that involved ALOT of walking (usually for up to 13 hours) I used it at a friends recommendation to avoid chaffing wich I was experiencing and was quite painfull. It worked very well and is much cheaper than powders or talc. I have never used any powder while being diapered though but may try it for the simple pleasure eventually as I get quite invested at the idea everytime I see a pic of a diapered bottom and the powder residue everywhere. It simply would add to the notion of being "properly" diapered. Dangit! This kink has no end!!!

    Be advised: Powder or corn starch will prove no match for the "Nuclear Chili"

    Also, I have not read anything on talc being cancerous unless used in the state of California. If you live elswhere you are safe

    The effectiveness of corn starch is very similar to that of talc. They both provide exceptional friction barriers and wick-away an amount of moisture.
    Indeed! Unfortunately, I'm cursed with an undying love for obnoxiously flavorful/spicy foods... Not a good thing if you're my poor abused stomach, I have yet to find something too spicy or hot for me to handle, although admittedly I have been turned into a blubbering, sobbing idiot by some of the more potent stuff.

    Thankfully, these diapers (which just arrived on the front porch not too long ago, w00t!), are just gonna be for #1 if the need arises while I'm out in the barn! Hopefully there wont be a repeat of last year, where I had a pair of work overalls rub a hole in a diaper and subsequently have SAP beads not only in my pants, but also all over in the horse stalls...eek

  10. #10

    Default

    I think I would have a pair of plastic pants on over my diaper to prevent holes from overalls.

Similar Threads

  1. Baby Powder
    By Dbannn in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 16-Oct-2012, 19:29
  2. Powder question
    By tall2826 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-Apr-2012, 06:29
  3. anyone else not use baby powder
    By icestorm in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2012, 16:09
  4. Question about powder...
    By Dann in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-Nov-2010, 19:55
  5. Question/Survey about Baby Powder
    By Grizz in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-Jun-2010, 16:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.