Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grr -_-

Default Grr -_-

This was literally the thought process that went through my Prinicpal's head.
    "We have to make our school as 'safe' as possible!" "Oh I know! Let's install the exact same security measures as Newtown did, that'll make us safer!"

No offense intended. But seriously it's rediculous! I felt perfectly safe before we installed all this crap in our schools. I don't want to give up my freedoms for safety.

So what kind of measures were brought in? I see the need for safety, but we can't let fear rule over us.

PaddedPuppy

Talking 600th post :) YAY!

So whats the problem? If you have nothing to hide then something like a quick bag search or walking through a metal detector arch shouldn't be much of an inconvenience. Whatever they have done is for safety. And doesn't it make sense? Something bad happened so they want to take steps to stop a similar event happing again somewhere else?

I'm under the impression that an official has no right to unlawfully search me simply because I may look suspicious. Just because I don't have an illegal weapon or substance on me doesn't mean I should be willing to be subjected to a search. It's simply a matter that I will not be treated like a terrorist or a threat. Something bad has happened, something bad has always happened and restrictions and searches haven't done a whole lot to reduce violence. Were I ever stopped by a public official and told that he wants to search me for illegal substances/weapons I would refuse until he presented a warrant. Not because I carry those things but simply because we are born with the inherit rights of protection from overbearing government thugs and self-incrimination amongst other rights not granted but protected by the US Bill of Rights. Those that sacrifice personal freedoms for safety are often slaves of tyrants.

I personally think that if you have nothing to hide, why be bothered if someone just wants to make sure? An innocent man need not be frightened when placed under scrutiny and such.

I understand we can't just give up our freedoms, but just making sure you aren't carrying something that you shouldn't be.. I mean, when in the name of "freedom" do we allow people to do just anything they want without even trying to stop it? How many disasters could be prevented just by allowing your bag to be searched randomly at school? If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear! Then nothing is being taken from you either. They just look. No one is telling you what you can own, what you can do with your life, or what you can think.. you have every right to even fight against it and dislike it. Because that's the kind of country we do live in, where people can shout how much they hate every little thing without fear. Where you can speak your mind about these policies.

The only people who lose anything by the idea of being searched are people who have something on them that a search would be designed to stop. Those people should be found and stopped before they do something bad. This literally just stops the freedom of being allowed to bring guns to school. That's a freedom I'm okay with giving up.

I understand my opinion may not be popular, and I'm not saying we should just start accepting every little thing. I just feel like personally there is a difference between accepting every little thing and disregarding things that are really only making things safer and not harming anyone innocent. I have all the respect in the world for those that disagree with me though, this post was simply the opinion of one girl.

And where do you draw line over what is and is not acceptable searches? Should the school be permitted to search your bedroom to make sure you're not hiding weapons there? How about read your diary to make sure you're not hiding thoughts of hurting others? Should you be required to provide a list of websites you frequent and the matching credentials so that we check for dangerous speech there, also? After all, you have nothing to be afraid of, there's no chance that you'll be misunderstood, right? It's not like you have any sort of . . . hobby, that isn't utterly understood by society.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdlforever View Post
    This was literally the thought process that went through my Prinicpal's head.
    "We have to make our school as 'safe' as possible!" "Oh I know! Let's install the exact same security measures as Newtown did, that'll make us safer!"

No offense intended. But seriously it's rediculous! I felt perfectly safe before we installed all this crap in our schools. I don't want to give up my freedoms for safety.
    And there were a lot of people who felt that Newtown was "perfectly safe" - it is a relatively quiet, wealthy, suburban town. The parents in that town surely had no daily concern that their children would be murdered in their school because there was not much crime in the town or school district. But in one freak case, the "measures" aren't enough and people die.

The odds are low and it requires rare circumstances for a tragedy to happen, but a tragedy can still happen.

I might be biased because I've never had a bad experience with this sort of thing. But really. Security anywhere does not care what you have on you unless it's illegal. I have never really understood why people get worked up over this. It seems like relatively little to give up for what is gained and it's part of living in a society.

Quote Originally Posted by Traemo View Post
    And where do you draw line over what is and is not acceptable searches? Should the school be permitted to search your bedroom to make sure you're not hiding weapons there? How about read your diary to make sure you're not hiding thoughts of hurting others? Should you be required to provide a list of websites you frequent and the matching credentials so that we check for dangerous speech there, also? After all, you have nothing to be afraid of, there's no chance that you'll be misunderstood, right? It's not like you have any sort of . . . hobby, that isn't utterly understood by society.
    To me and of course as before this is just my personal opinion, the answer seems pretty simple. The biggest difference between the searching at school and all the things you mentioned is that for searches at school.. it would be you entering public or government property and land, not your own property. You have every right to know you will be searched, and you can pack your bags accordingly but.. in these buildings and property they are within their rights to set the rules and to make sure you aren't carrying in anything explosive or anything! The line is that when it comes to the activities that take place on your own property, in your own house. Which I think is basically the line like.. legally? I honestly admit to being a tad ignorant about laws and stuff, it just sounds right at least.

That right there is the line, though that line should be crossed if they have reason to believe someone is a threat and obtain a legal search warrant to do those things. I'm thankful that we live in a place where that sort thing can be possible, so in a purely hypothetical situation.. if someone kidnapped me and stuffed me in their closet.. if their neighbors went to the police with their suspicious behavior.. perhaps not exactly seeing it but suspecting something bad.. that they could check things out. That we live in a world where it is some people's job to make sure these and other illegal and harmful activities don't carry on. Because in the end, if you are innocent then you should have nothing to hide. Even if there ends up a misunderstanding, if it truly is nothing but a misunderstanding I'm sure that will be cleared up sooner rather then later.

When it comes to my diapers, police officers see odd things everyday. I'm sure that diapers in my closet is the least of their concern.

Quote Originally Posted by reddawn2988 View Post
    I'm under the impression that an official has no right to unlawfully search me simply because I may look suspicious. ... Were I ever stopped by a public official and told that he wants to search me for illegal substances/weapons I would refuse until he presented a warrant. ...

I suggest you never travel by plane (not even domestically).

I would also point out that refusing to allow a search only makes you look guilty of something, for why would an innocent person object to such? Thus, it would make the obtaining of that warrant, you seem to think makes all the difference, so much easier.

I can pretty much guarantee that if I were to travel to the US (not something I'm planning to do anytime soon), I would expect, merely based upon my religious beliefs and the way I dress, that I would be subjected to a search, and refusing said search would just end up with my being arrested and held for as long as the US gov't wanted.

Back to the original post: What freedoms might those be? Sorry, you're in high school, you have no freedoms, real or imagined! :p

The innocent and lawful have plenty to fear from unwarranted searches of themselves or their possessions - on top of the fact that we shouldn't be subjected to them without reasonable cause in the first place.

Our various government agencies have an exceedingly poor record when it comes to Fourth Amendment concerns.

Metal detectors, however, are fairly unobtrusive, have been used for years, people can fail them without it being necessary to subject them to more intrusive search methods, and they also have no health concerns or other issues surrounding their use. You just walk through them. If it beeps, you take off your metal stuff until you pass.

At least they aren't arming teachers in your school like they want to in my county's school systems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gigglemuffinz View Post
    When it comes to my diapers, police officers see odd things everyday. I'm sure that diapers in my closet is the least of their concern.
    Considering modern prejudices, it would not surprise me that if fourth amendment rights were eroded to the point where unwarranted searches like this were allowed, that a prosecutor could easily attempt to build a case to convict a AB/DL of pedophilia-related offenses. Particularly if they have a sexually active partner - you're pretending to be a baby during sex! You have images of girls in diapers all over your computer hard drive! What about this suspicious anime we found over here? Hmm, the models in some of these pictures look a little young...GASP! You were talking with UNDERAGE CHILDREN on this forum a few months ago!

All because "you had nothing to hide."

Your activities may be entirely innocent, but the prosecutor's job is to get a conviction, not make sure the truth comes out.