Thread: SUPERHYDROPHOBIC materials for bedwetting?

Default SUPERHYDROPHOBIC materials for bedwetting?

Just a thought: Would superhydrophobic cloths make a difference for bedwetters? It could make the whole experience that much less uncomfortable.

For the bed/sheets or for the garment?

A hydrophobic cloth will not absorb liquid - which is what you want to do. If you don't absorb liquid, it's going to stay in contact with your skin.

The liquid has to go somewhere. We'd have to redesign what we consider as a diaper, probably with some kind of receptacle or separate holding layer.

A hydrophobic cloth would result in the urine spilling out over the sides of the bed. Not a good result. The only hydrophobic materials that are really of any use here are mattress protectors, and then you always have sheets over it to absorb any liquid. A quick drying fabric might be what you're after, something that will allow liquid to pass through it, but which won't hold onto it as much as, e.g., terrycloth.

I guess I was refferring to a superhydrophobic matress and\or matress cover, which is in my view the biggest problem. In adittion, a superhydrophobic blanket\pillowcase would ensure that the water don't get absorbed in the blanket, which makes life that much more difficult. And the pyjama made of the same material as a speedo, that would allow for quicker drying.

It could be a lot more comfortable than the traditional mattress protector.

Quote Originally Posted by some1 View Post
    I guess I was refferring to a superhydrophobic matress and\or matress cover, which is in my view the biggest problem. In adittion, a superhydrophobic blanket\pillowcase would ensure that the water don't get absorbed in the blanket, which makes life that much more difficult. And the pyjama made of the same material as a speedo, that would allow for quicker drying.
    There is some merit to this, I think. The goal, I suppose, is that only the easiest things to clean get wet, but the liquid has to go somewhere or else you'll just be sitting in it all night.

I'm not sure exactly about the range of hydrophobic materials. I'd think mattress covers are already hydrophobic? I have never used one but I assume they would have to be to accomplish their purpose. I don't know how comfortable a hydrophobic blanket would be. It might have to be a material similar to a nylon sleeping bag, which I personally find kind of annoying to sleep in (gets very hot, etc.). As for pajamas that are easy to dry... anything that comes in contact with urine should probably be washed anyway, so I don't know how useful that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by some1 View Post
    Code:
    link: http://youtu.be/Cq4jZB_JrbA
    that kind of stuff has been around for years. i used to use it on my biking gloves and outdoor gear. along with it only lasting until the treated garment is washed, any vigourous activity will erode/break-up the applied film of [what is actually just] fancy dirt (how similar it is to fabric conditioner in it's chemistry, you'll have to ask the manufacturer); there's a reason why they only show blouses and ties in the promo blurb: it's because the product can't withstand normal activity.

a more established, and far superior, comparable would be waxed material, but that is costly, heavy, uncomfortable and lacking in durability (especially in industrial settings).

there's a reason why plastics are used for waterproofing: plastic does what it says on the tin, cheaply and without pretence.