Thread: Andriod app development

Default Andriod app development

Hey guys, I'm working on a project for school but i'm having some difficulties trying to figure out how to make an andriod app. I was wondering if anyone knew any good resources that might have some examples. I'm a visual learner but most of the resources i've seen so far haven't had any good visual examples. Also I was going to try to link the app to a mysql database but from what I read it's not really possible and I should go through a webservice to connect to the database. I'm kinda confused on how to actually "connect" to a webservice via the application. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Well, Youtube is usually a pretty good resource for programming videos - I've been programming since I was 12, and now I'm learning even more programming from today's 12 year olds. What I've read of the API itself doesn't seem all that bad, though I've never made an app myself using the officially supported tools. I doubt that it's 'impossible' to link a native app to a MySQL database or a packaged SQLite database, but I expect it's a giant pain in the butt.

If you're allowed to cheat a bit, you can leverage PhoneGap/Cordova like I'm doing - you basically build an HTML/Javascript web app and wrap it up in a native browser-based runtime that works about as quickly as a turtle without any legs. It's super easy once you've got past some of the configuration and performance headaches. I'm not sure about native apps, but Phonegap most definitely has SQL in the form of the integrated SQLite implementation. I've found it a pretty close match to basic MySQL so far. The app I'm building has about 1 MB of data loaded into it that remains persistent unless the user clears their program data or deletes the application.

https://build.phonegap.com/

I'm a programmer by trade and I'll be the first to admit, I use the internet to figure out stuff I don't know. As for visual examples, maybe try some android forums for links? Otherwise I look at API and examples elsewhere on the web. I'd love to develop an app for android as well, however I've yet to do it. As for linking to a MySql DB, i can't see how it'd be that much different from doing the same with a web app, or a desktop app. it's a matter of developing the connection and executing queries against the data.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Well, Youtube is usually a pretty good resource for programming videos - I've been programming since I was 12, and now I'm learning even more programming from today's 12 year olds. What I've read of the API itself doesn't seem all that bad, though I've never made an app myself using the officially supported tools. I doubt that it's 'impossible' to link a native app to a MySQL database or a packaged SQLite database, but I expect it's a giant pain in the butt.

If you're allowed to cheat a bit, you can leverage PhoneGap/Cordova like I'm doing - you basically build an HTML/Javascript web app and wrap it up in a native browser-based runtime that works about as quickly as a turtle without any legs. It's super easy once you've got past some of the configuration and performance headaches. I'm not sure about native apps, but Phonegap most definitely has SQL in the form of the integrated SQLite implementation. I've found it a pretty close match to basic MySQL so far. The app I'm building has about 1 MB of data loaded into it that remains persistent unless the user clears their program data or deletes the application.

https://build.phonegap.com/
    :P ya we're allowed to "cheat" lol she's encoraging us to incorporate other api's. I was actually looking in to phonegap. I tried the phonegap build beta to see what it actually did but it looks like the app didn't like the php aspects of my webapp. Thanks for the advice though, this looks like the direction i'm going to try to take