Thread: Not what I was expecting...

Post Not what I was expecting...

So after being a devoted Bambino wearer, I decided to order the SDKs from ABU. They came in the mail today and I was super excited until I opened the box. First I noticed the invoice saying that they were small instead of medium. I'm not going to blame ABU for the fact that I didn't read carefully enough when ordering. Fortunately I can still fit in them, but it's close. Like if they were an inch or two shorter in width, it wouldn't work. And secondly, I noticed two tapes on each side! ABU likes to go on about the large single tape they have on each side and I didn't get to see this feature with my order. In fact, the single tape system is exactly why I wanted to try them!

Other than that, the SDKs are really cute, have a nice crinkle, and I like the softness of the taping panel. I can't say anything about absorbency yet though.

Should I write the company about their false advertising? Or did I end up with older diapers that may not perform as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    And secondly, I noticed two tapes on each side!
    You might have missed this (unfortunate) detail...

Quote Originally Posted by ABU
    ‡Production Notes: Due to technical limitations with our production machinery the first production run of size small SDKs have two fastening tapes per side; the other sizes still have the single large 70mm tapes. We are working to create size small with the single tape per side in the very next production run. All sizes of SDKs are now available in the super smooth, soft and crinkly exterior plastic shell.
    ...which is in fact on the page, though not particularly visible. And thanks to the Wayback Machine, it's clear that this message has been on the page for at least a couple of months.

So it wouldn't be false advertising, though it is a bit shady IMO. These diapers are popular in large part because of the single tapes, so to make them with double tapes and not call that out very prominently says to me that this was not in fact a technical limitation, but a screw-up.

FWIW, I tried cloth-backed Cushies around this time last year and really liked them. Pity that the company is so off-putting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    You might have missed this (unfortunate) detail...

...which is in fact on the page, though not particularly visible. And thanks to the Wayback Machine, it's clear that this message has been on the page for at least a couple of months.

So it wouldn't be false advertising, though it is a bit shady IMO. These diapers are popular in large part because of the single tapes, so to make them with double tapes and not call that out very prominently says to me that this was not in fact a technical limitation, but a screw-up.

FWIW, I tried cloth-backed Cushies around this time last year and really liked them. Pity that the company is so off-putting.
    Thank you so much for your response! I just visited the SDK page and saw the fine print.
    I clearly need to read more carefully when ordering online. Otherwise I would have medium SDKs with single large tapes... I'll get it right next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    I clearly need to read more carefully when ordering online.
    Well, maybe, but I'm calling this one deliberate obscurity on their part.

If you get the mediums, I hope you enjoy them. I think the single tapes are great, though I do also prefer the cloth-backed diapers for their easy adjustability.