Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dangers of Potty Training Too Early

Thumbs up The Dangers of Potty Training Too Early

Hey all,
    I'm not sure if you've seen this before, but this article provides very sound reasoning from a pediatric urologist on why parents should leave their kids in diapers until at least the age of 3, and how early potty training may lead to more frequent accidents and bed wetting. Super interesting. I'd highly recommend giving it a read.

The Dangers of Potty Training Too Early: Doctor's Case for Late Training | Babble

I wonder how so many kids in the days were fine because lot of them were sure toilet trained before two years of age. it was common in the days. Did the parents just take them to the toilet for them and not make them decide to go on their own?

Default Re: The Dangers of Potty Training Too Early

Interesting perspective.

LOL , you can say that i'm the one of the result of early potty training
    At least i'm pretty much love my occasionally diaper life :p

I was potty trained before the age of 2 and never had problems with bed wetting or accidents. Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by nothingusual View Post
    I was potty trained before the age of 2 and never had problems with bed wetting or accidents. Odd.
    Same here. And I don't know if I can blame my interest in diapers on being potty trained early. There are people on this site who were potty trained before age 2, and there are others who weren't trained until age 4.

Quote Originally Posted by nothingusual View Post
    Same here. That I know of, I was trained very early and effortlessly, but I always had an iron bladder and have been very far from being constipated

Everyone's different though, and if the average outcome of early training is bladder and/or bowel issues, the article sure makes a good point.
    Last edited by quattrus; 06-Mar-2013 at 16:55.

I was an early potty trainer... My bladder is small and my urinary sphincter is too strong. I have serious voiding problems. I just hope I don't ever end up be stuck relying on a catheter. Peeing can be so hard for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I wonder how so many kids in the days were fine because lot of them were sure toilet trained before two years of age. it was common in the days. Did the parents just take them to the toilet for them and not make them decide to go on their own?
    I think that for lots of kids, being trained early is perfectly fine. But some don't respond well. It's like learning to read: some kids are ready really early, and others take longer to come around. But basically everyone learns how eventually. So I think this article is true for some kids, but others need to wait, for physical or psychological reasons. Just my opinion.