Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiappa Rhino?

Default Chiappa Rhino?

Hi all,

Looking at getting a Chiappa Rhino 20DS snub nose for my concealed carry weapon. Anyone else fired/carried this one? Any thoughts?

What do you carry, if you do?

I do not want this to turn into a political fracas. and I will ask for the thread to be locked if it does. This is not the thread for opinions on gun laws.
    'points finger dramatically' You have beeeen waaaarned!

Cheers.

Peace out and God bless.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm not trying to turn this into a debate about guns and stuff.

Being from the UK I know nothing about guns, it's just not something we have much of. I've been shooting, turns out I'm not so bad at hitting a target, but guns aren't a day to day part of our lives (for the most part).

I only clicked on this thread to find out what a Chiappa Rhino was. I thought it might be like an albino rhino, I saw a picture of a baby rhino on the TV the other day and was looking forward to seeing another one.

My question: do a lot of Americans know all the parts of guns? Like, if you'd just asked 'thinking about getting a Chiappa Rhino 20DS snub nose' would the majority of you weirdos* on the other side of the ocean know what you were talking about?

*said in jest!!

Sorry. It's a revolver. "Snub Nose" is typically a revolver term. I wrote this in a hurry and probably could have clarified more.

This is the one I'm talking about.
    http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/725

I've never heard of Chiappa. I myself own a WWII Walther P-38 as my favored pistol. Its pretty accurate for a 9mm, and it seems to draw a crowd at the range because everyone wants to have a turn shooting my "lil Nazi gun". I would really like to buy a FN Five seveN, but costing over a $1000 not including the silencer, the price has kept me from getting one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	350px-FN-FiveSeven_USG.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	16320

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    My question: do a lot of Americans know all the parts of guns? Like, if you'd just asked 'thinking about getting a Chiappa Rhino 20DS snub nose' would the majority of you weirdos* on the other side of the ocean know what you were talking about?
    As to the "Chiappa Rhino 20DS" part, absolutely not. That might be common knowledge in some parts of the country where gun ownership is high, but for the country as a whole, no. For the "snub nose" part, perhaps. It refers to a revolver with a very short barrel. I think there's an argument that the term has made its way into the common vernacular similar to "sawn-off".

These are generally meant as self-defense guns. The the fact that it's a revolver and has a short barrel greatly increases the time it takes to reload and reduces accuracy. However, it's very easy to carry and conceal because of its size. It's essentially meant for situations where you simply need to point a gun at something/one at close range to demonstrate a threat.

"It's essentially meant for situations where you simply need to point a gun at something/one at close range to demonstrate a threat. "

Not quite. If you're not willing to use it, you shouldn't be carrying it. "Brandishing", as the term goes, without the decision to use it, if it becomes neccessary, is extremely dangerous and in some cases, illegal, if the situation doesn't warrant lethal force, I.E. an imminent danger to yourself or others around you.

DeftLepperd: That's not unusual. Before introducing the Rhino, they mostly made reproductions of Wild West-era revolvers and flintlock rifles. The Rhino was designed by the same guy who designed the Mateba Autorevolver, a strange design that people might recognize from Ghost in the Shell.

I'm mostly familiar with hunting rifles and shotguns, Particularly names like Winchester, Colt, Ruger, S&W, Remington,Mossberg, Walther, Nagant, FN Herstal, etc.
    I own
    Mossberg 500 20 Ga. combo,
    vintage 70's Remington model 700 in .270 win
    vintage Ruger 10/22
    WWII Walther P-38
    vintage S&W model 422 semi auto
    and a 70's .410 break action that I do not know the maker of.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FootieCrinkle View Post
    Looking at getting a Chiappa Rhino 20DS snub nose for my concealed carry weapon.

Peace out and God bless.
    Ha ha... the irony... I want a weapon that can kill people stone dead. Oh... and peace and love and stuff...

If he made the choice to rob me or hurt my family. You bet. not to be taken lightly, but that's the world we live in, unfortunately.

Not quite. If you're not willing to use it, you shouldn't be carrying it.
    I assumed that you would give me the credit of realizing it. My point was that, and correct me if I'm wrong, the threat of deadly force is often adequate to accomplish your goal of self-defense.

"Brandishing", as the term goes, without the decision to use it, if it becomes neccessary, is extremely dangerous and in some cases, illegal, if the situation doesn't warrant lethal force, I.E. an imminent danger to yourself or others around you.
    Again, another thing I hoped you would simply assume I realize.