Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had a time machine.....

Default If you had a time machine.....

Ok so if you invented a time machine, What would you do with it?

I would prevent the existence of people like, Hitler, Stalin, Osama bin laden, Saddam Hussein, Fidel Castro, and Kim Jong Il.

I would also attempt to prevent the extinction of a large number of Animal species, except the dinosaurs (they were screwed anyways).

After I finish helping society, I'd go back to the 80's where I belong......

I think you'd need a lot more than a time machine to do those things.

I'd pick a time just prior to a market crash and make a boatload on short sales. Or maybe the sports book in Vegas. Then I'd fade into the woodwork and live quietly off my ill-gotten gains. Of course that might change my personal timeline so that I would never have obtained the time machine. Paradox, universe crashes in on itself. The End.

Quote Originally Posted by DeftLeppard View Post
    Ok so if you invented a time machine, What would you do with it?
    I'd go back to last December. Order some plastic-backed Abenas, and return to the present!

I would prevent the existence of people like, Hitler, Stalin, Osama bin laden, Saddam Hussein, Fidel Castro, and Kim Jong Il.
    I do try not to sound so cynical, but... I suspect there are millions of equally evil nutjobs that simply never had a chance to rise to power. Take out all the evil leaders and the "evil-power vacuum" might result in even more sinister leaders getting into power... then you'd have to get rid of them... And then you'd return to 1985 and Biff Tannen would have built a corrupt financial empire and... you'd have to go back to the future... but not this future... you'd have to find where the timeline split from the original one... and prevent Biff from using future knowledge and... Hey... they should make this into a film!

And what did Fidel Castro do? I know the other names are associated with genocide, terrorism, etc... but... the only thing I know about Castro is that he was (still is?) the leader of Cuba... :-/ I was gonna go to Cuba once on holiday, but never did in the end.

If you eliminated Hitler my father wouldn't have been involved in World War II in the same way as he was. This would have changed the timing of when he started his family. A different moment of conception means a different spem cell won the race to a different egg. A different person would have been born. I wouldn't exist. Most likely, none of us would.

Ahh... what the hell. If you get the chance, go for it!!

I'm not the sort of person to try to take history into my hands.. that sort of decision.. it just seems way too big to be made by one person. Who knows what that would do to the space-time continuum and all of that stuff either! I probably would.. be a bit too afraid to use it. I guess though, I would be really tempted to go back in time and get rare video games, figurines.. nerd stuff when it was first coming out and not expensive. Then immediate time travel to the future, now I have a perfect condition copy of whatever! I hate the feeling of really wanting a doll or something but it being way too expensive to even dream about. It makes me real sad.

I would probably get two, one for keeping and one for selling. It would certainly change history but I feel like it wouldn't change history all that much. Even if I somehow got rich doing this over and over, I'm too afraid of the spotlight and would pretty much do the exact same thing I'm doing now.. just with more stuff!

I would tell my younger self to stop worrying and enjoy diapers while I can still fit in them. No Lies.

Read Stephen King's 11/22/63. An interesting time travel novel on how the main character tries to change history, specifically, trying to save JFK's life.

Personally, I would like to travel to different eras such as the 1800's to pan for gold or the late 60's to experience the sexual revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    And what did Fidel Castro do? I know the other names are associated with genocide, terrorism, etc... but... the only thing I know about Castro is that he was (still is?) the leader of Cuba... :-/ I was gonna go to Cuba once on holiday, but never did in the end.
    Fidel isn't in the same league as the others named, whether or not he plays the same sport you could argue about. In the end Fidel Castro is just another tin-pot Latin American dictator, except that he's a Communist rather than a Capitalist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post

Read Stephen King's 11/22/63. An interesting time travel novel on how the main character tries to change history, specifically, trying to save JFK's life.

Personally, I would like to travel to different eras such as the 1800's to pan for gold or the late 60's to experience the sexual revolution.
    The late 60s sexual revolution? If you actually went back there, you'd find it very tame. It just seemed amazingly/horrifyingly liberated at the time because of how repressed people had been for decades before hand. Sex is better now, believe it.

Back then (60's) sex was a way to say hello (paraphrased). Steve Martin in his book Born Standing.

I don't know if I'd even be capable of going back to kill Hitler. What I could do is give anonymous tips about the assassinations of MLK and JFK, for example.

Other than that, I would go see some of my favorite bands in their heyday.