Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey there :) Free cake for everyone!

Default Hey there :) Free cake for everyone!

... OK, so maybe I lied about the cake*. But you're reading this now, and isn't that the important thing?

So let me say hello!

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster

Been into the whole scene for as long as I can remember, I think I realised I was DL aged about 13 or 14. I'm mostly DL, though more and more I find myself drawn to AB stuff.

Outside of the scene, I'm a fairly average guy, which makes writing one of these intros really difficult. But I'll give it a go anyway! My day to day work is with computers, and I'm a bit of a geek all round. Oddly enough for someone posting on the interwebs, I spend a lot of my leisure time reading stuff on the net or chatting with people. I also play a few PS3 games now and again, but nowhere near enough for me to consider myself a serious gamer.

I love listening to music, of all kinds really - I don't think there's a single genre that's better than any of the others. If I like it, I like it, and I don't feel the need to be tied down by labels and genres. I also spend a fair amount of time playing round with DJing software and a few bits of hardware (midi controllers and the like). I'm not particularly good, but it keeps me off the streets, eh?

And then as well as all that, I enjoy the usual things of reading books, watching movies and TV - mostly action, horror and comedy for all three. I also have a real thing for retro TV shows, especially cartoons and things that I enjoyed as a kid.

I live with my wife, who isn't ABDL, but accepts that it's a part of who I am as a person. She is one of only two people that I've told in real life - the other is a therapist that I saw some time ago. I might get round to sharing my therapy experiences at some point, if anyone is considering going or wants to know what to expect when they go.

As well as lurking here, I sometimes read a couple of the other AB forums, and recently have been enjoying the Big Little Podcast.

I hope to get to know the community a little better, and look forward to some interesting conversation - and wherever I might be able to, I'd like to think that I can offer some advice now and again

See you around!
    Nik.

* - "Cake is a made up drug. It acts on the part of the brain known as Shatner's Bassoon". Bonus points to anyone who gets the reference!

Wait! What? No cake? *cries as if her little heart is breaking*

Well...welcome anyway...I guess.....*still wants the cake she was promised*

Not even a virtual cake...

Well here is one for you: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	almond-streusel-cake-2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	16282

Welcome to the Forum.

Hey there Nik! It's really great to meet you! I'm so glad you found your way here and joined. Your into post was fabulous, really made me happy to read.. even if I'm not getting delicious cake.

Do you have some favorite books? I used to read a lot more then I do now, but reading is still great! I read lots of older science fiction, I had a big Isaac Asmoiv phase. The biggest thing I read these days is Power Pack comic books, but I'm still super curious. What about TV shows, what kinda retro shows do you like watching now? Anything you can recommend and the best way to still watch them today?

So excited you plan on sharing advice and being an awesome member. I hope we can friends. ^_^

hey! First of all, a Brass Eye fan i take it you're a brit as well haha! good work!

also, nice to meet a fellow musician! To you just sequence music or do you play any instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by gigglemuffinz View Post
    I read lots of older science fiction, I had a big Isaac Asmoiv phase.
    me too! Foundation was awesome! Give the Dune books by Frank Herbert a go if you like social sci fi! Also, pretty much anything by Ursula Le Guinn (the Dispossessed is a mind blowing novel).

Hello all, thanks very much for the warm welcome!

Apologies for the lack of cake. As soon as they invent a way to send baked goods as an email attachment, I'll be sure to make up for it

Gigglemuffinz - I read quite a variety of stuff. Recently I've read a lot of crime/detective thrillers and action books. Quite trashy stuff, like Andy McNab. It's not very deep, but it's easy to read and enjoyable. I also enjoy comedy books, most recently I read The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of The Window And Disappeared, which I'd recommend - especially as the Kindle version is really cheap. Other than that, I read most things. I'm not overly keen on fantasy or a lot of sci-fi, but there are some exceptions (especially comedy fantasy, like Discworld).

I can't say I read much in the way of comics these days, and I've never heard of the series you mention. What's it about?

For retro TV, it's mostly things like Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles and Thundercats - things that have been re-released on DVD or bluray. The best way to watch em? Padded up, of course!

Also, there's been a real resurgence in the popularity of 80s cartoon characters on T-shirts and clothing, which I totally love! It's a great way for me to express my 'little' side in public, without being creepy or giving myself away. To the rest of the world, I'm just another nerd with an ironic fashion sense, wearing a ThunderCats shirt or a Transformers jumper - and partly, that's true - but there's also something satisfying about being able to wear the icons of my childhood in my daily adult life

Jsaur - you win the bonus points! Yes, I ruddy love BrassEye (and if I'm not mistaken, doesn't Chris Morris dress up in a nappy in the cake episode?) - as well as lots of other tv comedy of that ilk. Are you looking forward to the Alan Partridge movie?

I am indeed a Brit, but to call me a musician is a bit of a stretch! I would love to be able to play my own music, but sadly I've never had much in the way of production skills. I'm much more comfortable taking other people's music and messing around with it. What about you? Do you mix or play any instruments?

Thanks again for all the nice messages guys. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the community!

Default Re: Hey there :) Free cake for everyone!

Great to have you here. Very nice intro and almost word for word is my story. I'm an ABDL who is much more DL than AB, who's told his wife, headshrinker, this community and no one else.

Wife is accepting but doesn't participate often.

Enjoy your stay.

Quote Originally Posted by NikJ View Post
    Jsaur - you win the bonus points! Yes, I ruddy love BrassEye (and if I'm not mistaken, doesn't Chris Morris dress up in a nappy in the cake episode?) - as well as lots of other tv comedy of that ilk. Are you looking forward to the Alan Partridge movie?
    Yeah I play a bunch of different instruments; some better than others. Guitar, bass, autoharp, oriental fiddle, keys, kalimba among other things. I have been in a number of bands though i'm on a personal hiatus from all music now. Got fed up with gigging and how thankless the business is. thinking of writing some ambient chip music in the coming months if I get a chance. What do you sequence with?

I didn't know Coogan was doing a movie incidentally, I'm too busy "trying to run a high class Bureau De Change!"

The Day Today - Bureau de Change - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by NikJ View Post

I can't say I read much in the way of comics these days, and I've never heard of the series you mention. What's it about?

For retro TV, it's mostly things like Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles and Thundercats - things that have been re-released on DVD or bluray. The best way to watch em? Padded up, of course!

Also, there's been a real resurgence in the popularity of 80s cartoon characters on T-shirts and clothing, which I totally love! It's a great way for me to express my 'little' side in public, without being creepy or giving myself away. To the rest of the world, I'm just another nerd with an ironic fashion sense, wearing a ThunderCats shirt or a Transformers jumper - and partly, that's true - but there's also something satisfying about being able to wear the icons of my childhood in my daily adult life
    Awesome responses. You certainly seem like a neat person. Don't worry, I probably shouldn't eat anymore cake anyway! ^_^

Power Pack is not very well known Marvel series. It originally ran in the 80's and featured the youngest cast of superheroes without adult supervision. Alex, Julie, Jack, and little Katie Power. Yes, their last names are Power, and their is 4 of them so.. Power Pack! They actually had a lot of real dilemmas and the series wasn't as light hearted as you might expect, but it certainly had it's moments. These kids had plenty of interesting adventures, but in 2005 they finally returned in an all-age series. This is the one that got me into Power Pack, and although I have gone back and read the older comics I still prefer the all-ages version.

I love Power Pack the all-ages version because it's.. lighthearted, kid superhero fun. They are kids, they are superheroes. They have to save the day and avoid being grounded at the same time. :P I really love reading it, and sometimes pretending I'm Katie Power. I really recommend them, they are actually a great way to introduce yourself to other Marvel characters too, because they commonly have series where they are helping Spider-Man, or the Fantastic Four out.

This is a little girl who loves Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so I think it's cool you are into that kinda stuff. I never got into Thundercats, though my sister is currently all about Transformers. It's super cool that you are into all of that stuff, and I hope the resurgence of stuff involving them is really happy for you.

Pinky promise you'll have fun here, and don't be a stranger. ^_^