Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Act of Sportsmanship Gives Texas High Schooler Shot at Glory

Default Act of Sportsmanship Gives Texas High Schooler Shot at Glory

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    That is just amazing. Thanks for sharing that sort of thing. It's amazing that his teammates and then even his opposing team tried so hard to give him a shot and it eventually worked out. Thanks for sharing that sort of thing, I love it when people share this sort of thing.

I seriously love.. humanity. Not other way to describe it. Such a human thing to do, in such a beautiful way.

That is a touching story, and while I'd like to think my friends on the sports teams I have been on woudl do that for the kid, I doubt they would. That coach and the opposing player are both awesome people!

It's gratifying to see what the human spirit is capable of doing. Occasionally we rise to the occasion and do the right thing, and look at the reward! Watching this will make me feel good for a long time, a simple loving act of human kindness.

I really don't get these stories. (What a surprise Fire2Dick doesn't like sportsmanship)

Either the kid realizes whats going on and knows how stupid/fake it is.

or

They don't realize it and actually think they are good. Setting them up for further failure.

why do we insist on these heartfelt stories that are only done now because the people involved know there's good publicity involved? It annoys me just as much as everyone getting a trophy in kids sports.

Default Re: Act of Sportsmanship Gives Texas High Schooler Shot at Glory

Quote Originally Posted by incontinentGM24 View Post
    why do we insist on these heartfelt stories that are only done now because the people involved know there's good publicity involved? It annoys me just as much as everyone getting a trophy in kids sports.
    Im sure its not meant to be some media circus when it happens. That kid that passed him the ball understood what was happening and did it out of his heart. Its not like someone would try to pull someone out of a burning car just to have his name plastered everywhere.

Media is pretty much at all high school sports, newspapers especially. Newspaper says hey we can probably sell this story.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    Im sure its not meant to be some media circus when it happens. That kid that passed him the ball understood what was happening and did it out of his heart. Its not like someone would try to pull someone out of a burning car just to have his name plastered everywhere.

Media is pretty much at all high school sports, newspapers especially. Newspaper says hey we can probably sell this story.
    you overestimate people.

To me it's a reward for his dedication to his team no matter what his handicaps are. These are always feel good stories that usally come out every year in high
    school sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I really don't get these stories. (What a surprise Fire2Dick doesn't like sportsmanship)

Either the kid realizes whats going on and knows how stupid/fake it is.

or

They don't realize it and actually think they are good. Setting them up for further failure.
    I think that there totally is a third, "He is aware enough to know that it's fake but just loves the game and wants to be apart of it and wants a chance to actually play and be able to say he scored a point. " Just knowing that his friends and even the other people wanted to do their most for him to he could realize that, the feeling that people care about your dream is wonderful no matter how challenged you are. I'm sure you have to decide on a case for case basis what is appropriate, to avoid letting someone just be built up to fall, but I don't think the two things you described are the only ways he could be viewing the situation. That's just how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by incontinentGM24 View Post
    I would rather trust in the kindness of human spirit and trust in a good story. I really can't imagine looking at every good story and trying to pick it apart like that, refusing to believe there is any genuine good in the world. Like anyone cares about heart-warming stories on the news, this high-school would get a 'day' of not even attention at the most. Only school shootings make it on the news longer then a short tiny segment like this, I bet not even 5% of the U.S. population even saw this story, and even smaller percent probably doesn't even remember the high school's name anymore. (I had to look it up again just today, sort of how I feel this is the case. That and I posted this on Facebook and no one gave it any attention at all... though that totally could be just that I'm boring.)

The logic that they are doing it for publicity doesn't seem right to me with this situation when the amount of publicity you make on a heart warming story is basically non-existent these days.. which in my opinion is sad. I would rather reward people and put people on the front page for doing good things, even if it was for a selfish motive, rather then show mass murders you'll be on the front page of every paper and the talk of every person if you grab a gun and start shooting. At least if you got attention for being kind to a individual in need, that individual got the kindness they deserve along the way.

No one is giving him a trophy by the way, no one is putting him the professionals, no one is going to be giving him a scholarship for his game. He is a kid who loves the game and wants to be apart of it no matter what capacity that is, and was obviously well loved by his team. No one was helping him beat a record that was earned fair and square, or make it into the books at all. They didn't even give him the winning basket! They were trying to give a human being just a single moment of glory, the feeling of scoring two points.

Sorry if I sounded a bit tense or harsh with my wording, I hope I didn't. I understand that we have to not just blindly believe everything we see. I just feel passionate about trying to let good in your life. You are obviously an intelligent person and the last thing I want to do is treat you otherwise.