Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Playstation 4

Default Playstation 4

So Playstation 4 was officially revealed, along with much of what we can expect and even some games announced for it. How are people feeling about it, are you excited about it.. skeptical about it.. or what?

I'm personally excited about it. I've always wanted to be able to record my gameplay but never saw myself actually wanting to spend hundreds of dollars just for the function. Being able to livestream gameplay and record gameplay just with the console sounds really awesome. I know a lot of people are hesitant about social networking becoming too involved in everything, but I really think what Sony showed off just seemed like a natural evolution of what they already have now. Feels natural and I'm pretty happy with what they are doing. Love how I'll be able to play games and download other games easier now, though playing games as they are downloading still boggles my mind for some reason!

Otherwise, game wise nothing is making me have to play it yet, and I think the controller is cool but it's only the same controller with the enhancement's I already expected.

The hardware is nice, but I'm just not very amazed. For one thing, I hate the trend away from backward compatibility. I'm glad Nintendo didn't follow that trend. Also, the gaming industry is in a terrible state. There's no creativity coming from anyone but the indie developers. The giant studios just basically make the same things over and over! Each generation, there are less and less games that appeal to me (and they're more expensive now too). I'm not saying there will be no good games. There will be some amazing games, but there sure just won't be enough. I'm sure it will be the same way for whatever Microsoft calls their new console.

This is coming from someone who was a big fan of the first two Playstation systems. I am not saying I dislike the PS3, but I hoped that it would have more great games.

I'd like to see the OUYA completely win in sales, when put up against the new Sony & MS systems... but that likely won't happen. I am not entirely sure how I feel about the Wii U yet.
    Last edited by ShippoFox; 21-Feb-2013 at 13:07.

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    The hardware is nice, but I'm just not very amazed. For one thing, I hate the trend away from backward compatibility. I'm glad Nintendo didn't follow that trend. Also, the gaming industry is in a terrible state. There's no creativity coming from anyone but the indie developers. The giant studios just basically make the same things over and over! Each generation, there are less and less games that appeal to me (and they're more expensive now too). I'm not saying there will be no good games. There will be some amazing games, but there sure just won't be enough. I'm sure it will be the same way for whatever Microsoft calls their new console.

This is coming from someone who was a big fan of the first two Playstation systems. I am not saying I dislike the PS3, but I hoped that it would have more great games.

I'd like to see the OUYA completely win in sales, when put up against the new Sony & MS systems... but that likely won't happen. I am not entirely sure how I feel about the Wii U yet.
    I don't see how the hardware is good, least not the CPU which is a 8 physical core AMD that's likely 1.4-2.0 GHz. The good news about that is that its a x86 chip so it will mean games on PC and PS4 will easily port to and from each other. Hopefully the PS3 and the Wii U are the last consoles we'll ever see use random as hell CPU's, like the Cell processor from the PS3.

the controller adds useless shit... a share button, really? Rainbow light's on the front that looks more tacky then my storm sentential mouse?

Invasion of privacy by turning on a camera, the PS4 scanning items in your room to target ad's at you. It wasn't long ago Tek Syndicate on their weekly The Tek show said something like " The Kinect could be made to watch the room as a movie plays and require additional money to play the movie as more people enter the room/watch the movie"

Plus Sony really seems to want to use real names rather then usernames. If they force that type of shit, im never playing online with PS4.

TL'DR:

Reasons I won't buy:
    1.Crappy CPU
    2. 8GB of GDDR5. (that ain't going to be cheap and the GPU and/or APU will never need that much.)
    3. No backwards compatibility
    4. Streaming games while you download it is going to be akin to licking a person's butt while their balls slap you in the eye. (for most people)
    5. graphics PC's have been doing for easily 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post

I just don't sell my old consoles, so new ones being backwards compatible doesn't effect me too much. Though the fact that most games can be bought in digital form basically makes them backwards compatible, since I'm sure those will still work.

I don't really share your only indie developers make good or creative game feelings, but totally respect it and don't want to get the conversation too off-topic. I hope they'll be games you can get excited for!

Quote Originally Posted by gigglemuffinz View Post
    I just don't sell my old consoles, so new ones being backwards compatible doesn't effect me too much. Though the fact that most games can be bought in digital form basically makes them backwards compatible, since I'm sure those will still work.

I don't really share your only indie developers make good or creative game feelings, but totally respect it and don't want to get the conversation too off-topic. I hope they'll be games you can get excited for!
    Buying games you already bought is *not* backwards compatibility.

Also I heard you will have to stream these games, likely since they can't emulate a PS3 with the x86 CPU they are going with this generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Buying games you already bought is *not* backwards compatibility.

Also I heard you will have to stream these games, likely since they can't emulate a PS3 with the x86 CPU they are going with this generation.
    I didn't mean buying games you already bought. I meant games that you bought digitally on the PS3, right now.. since a lot of them are offered that way. Obviously it would be nice if you could play hard-copy games on the PS4 as well, but I'll just save my PS3 for that personally.

The streaming thing does concern me though, I hope it works well. I don't have experience with it.

EDIT: My point is moot, since PSN games won't transfer to the PS4 at least for the beginning of the console's life. Big bummer there. Still, I'm not one to just toss out my old systems to buy a new one, I'll wait a little longer and get it without selling my console.. so it doesn't effect me personally. Still would be nice for those that it would effect though.

At least the console itself won't be blocking used games! Hopefully..

Quote Originally Posted by gigglemuffinz View Post
    I didn't mean buying games you already bought. I meant games that you bought digitally on the PS3, right now.. since a lot of them are offered that way. Obviously it would be nice if you could play hard-copy games on the PS4 as well, but I'll just save my PS3 for that personally.

The streaming thing does concern me though, I hope it works well. I don't have experience with it.

EDIT: My point is moot, since PSN games won't transfer to the PS4 as of right now. Big bummer there.

At least the console itself won't be blocking used games! Hopefully..
    You don't need specialized hardware to block used/rented games. You know how EA games come with codes that unlock multi-player? The industry can do the same thing with the full game, sure it would require a internet connection at start up, but I see it happening at some point. Especially with a company like EA or Activision.

@Fire2box, that in terms of that CPU , in comparison to the PC versions of that CPU, its not an equal apples to apples comparison.

This CPU has been modified specifically for gaming and has some clever optimizations done not to mention the architecture of that specific GPU, which is essentially a custom made platform.
    In real world terms its not the same CPU as the PC one.
    In the PC world where developers have a huge variety of CPU's to program PC games for, developers only have to master this customized CPU, and rest assured they will get alot out of this system.
    This is a games console and doesn't have to do much else then harness that power for games, whereby that CPU on a PC, has a ton of other things to handle like a heavy Windows OS ETC and many more software related tasks.
    Game consoles are a different kettle of fish.

I will give you this though, its not as big a leap as PS2 was to PS3.
    Im looking forward to the new XBOX console and what a company such as Microsoft with huge financial resources( certainly far bigger then Sony), will do with its new baby.
    Although i know Sony need this console to succeed as it is already financially almost on the ropes as Sega was with the ill fated Dreamcast.
    I certainly prey this console rocks because all this mention of how PS Vita will be so essential in enhancing the new Playstation makes me nervous as that console is performing terribly at the moment.
    Last edited by Luckyfish; 21-Feb-2013 at 18:18.

TigerSoul

I'm sort of meh about it right now...I always hate gen switchovers, because just thinking about how much money I'll need to pay for another console so I can keep playing my favourite game series is just...ugh. And yeah, the lack of backwards compatability really is a big letdown, even though not much of an effort was made even for the PS3 to be BC. I won't be getting rid of my PS3 for some time as it is, but I accept the inevitable point that it will break somewhere down the line, and I just won't be able to play any of the games I have for it anymore, due to this.

As for the features displayed on the controller, they're kind of a mixed bag. The built in speakers/headphone jack would actually be perfect for me, seeing as I don't have a TV and the monitor I use doesn't have speakers (meaning I have to mess around with scart cables and connectors and headphones to get sound) and I like a few aspects of the share button - the ability to record and maybe livestream would be cool, as I've always entertained the posibillity of doin'g some 'Let's Play' style videos. Other things though, like the Facebook connectivity just really irk me. I mean, I have a FB yes, but I use it sparodically - I don't care to share all my doings and would care even less to share what I'm playing as well, so why does Sony seem to think that I want to let everyone know what game I'm playing ALL THE TIME???

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyfish View Post
    @Fire2box, that in terms of that CPU , in comparison to the PC versions of that CPU, its not an equal apples to apples comparison.

This CPU has been modified specifically for gaming and has some clever optimizations done not to mention the architecture of that specific GPU, which is essentially a custom made platform.
    In real world terms its not the same CPU as the PC one.
    In the PC world where developers have a huge variety of CPU's to program PC games for, developers only have to master this customized CPU, and rest assured they will get alot out of this system.
    This is a games console and doesn't have to do much else then harness that power for games, whereby that CPU on a PC, has a ton of other things to handle like a heavy Windows OS ETC and many more software related tasks.
    Game consoles are a different kettle of fish.

I will give you this though, its not as big a leap as PS2 was to PS3.
    Im looking forward to the new XBOX console and what a company such as Microsoft with huge financial resources( certainly far bigger then Sony), will do with its new baby.
    Although i know Sony need this console to succeed as it is already financially almost on the ropes as Sega was with the ill fated Dreamcast.
    I certainly prey this console rocks because all this mention of how PS Vita will be so essential in enhancing the new Playstation makes me nervous as that console is performing terribly at the moment.
    Given that the PS4 is now a x86 processor though, studios, developers will have little excuse for not optimizing PC on the levels they've always had on consoles for the last 2 generations.

Also Sony hanging the PS Vita on the PS4 was really stupid. I don't even know what Sony was fucking thinking with the vita, they've done nearly everything they can wrong with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSoul View Post
    I'm sort of meh about it right now...I always hate gen switchovers, because just thinking about how much money I'll need to pay for another console so I can keep playing my favourite game series is just...ugh.
    You've had easily 2-6 years to save up.