Thread: Best IRC client for me?

Default Best IRC client for me?

Okay, I have just got rid of Vista. I have stuck with Windoze (XP) because there are some games that will only work on it that I still want, and I want to get IRC set up. However I don't want to clutter my computer with multiple different IRC clients and I'm not sure what the best one to use is for me.

I'm using Windows XP as I said, FF for net and Pidgin for IMing, but I have tried the IRC thing on there and didn't especially enjoy it. What would you say is best for me to use and why?

I use XChat, why?
    • colored nicks
    • indented messages
    • UI
    • last but CERTAINLY not least, fully customizable.

I used mIRC (v.6.21) simply because that's what I've used for years...
    Reasons?
    -So many scripts available (including nick colours, alerts, perform on connect, sysinfo, etc...)
    -White on black text is very easy to setup (and so much easier to read)
    -I'm used to the way it looks

xchat is also a good client... I use that on Mac

What the others said, though I will offer the additional suggestions:

ChatZilla -- runs right as a plugin in Firefox.
    Mibbit -- AJAX-based client, doesn't even require any installation.

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    =
    Mibbit -- AJAX-based client, doesn't even require any installation.
    I would avoid that, You'd be disapointed. as the room now bans anyone from mibbit. It's a shame, it was very useful.

However, I use Xchat. Although I have yet to extensively customise it. I haven't done much from the defaults. And that is all you really need to be honest.

I did use IceChat for awhile, it's alright. but I felt Xchat to be more stable and have more features and just easier to use.

[Edit]
    I just felt silly for looking for you up in the IRC chat to talk about this. Only to realise you have yet to get on IRC XD.

Wait, all mibbit users are banned? That's silly. When did that happen?

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    Wait, all mibbit users are banned? That's silly. When did that happen?
    When people used Ribbit..err...Mibbit to get around bans.

On Blitzed you get a hash of the user's IP address in their ident when they use mibbit. So, you might have to ban them twice, but you can still ban individual mibbit users. Blitzed's ircd kind of sucks in this way. Other networks will actually list the user's true host when they use mibbit.

IMO, if you use it to evade a ban you should get a perm ban from both the forum and the chat room.

mIRC since I'm too lazy to learn how to code a real language like Perl for a client like X-Chat.