Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any significant academic work on ABDLism?

Default Is there any significant academic work on ABDLism?

I'm not simply talking about psychoanalytic/psychological studies either, but queer theory/feminist/critical theory/cultural studies/critical philosophy/deconstruction/post-strucuralist work?

I did a light scan of google scholar and found it pretty scant on this front. I'm debating with myself whether to don tools and eventually commence a PhD in this subject from a liberal and critical aspect. I have connections to a higher ed. institution where I could study this subject in a supportive academe and - increasingly - I am wondering if the time is coming to get this ball rolling...

So has anyone on here written/considered writing anything academic about ABDLism? and if not, heck people! What are we waiting for! The first step toward public acceptance is understanding

- - - Updated - - -

And I'll add this to my post. I'm through with shame/fear-of-ridicule/etal.
    no, I'm not gonna go 'babied in public' or wear all-out 24/7, but why the hell should I be ashamed of what I am?
    As a close friend of mine, who is trans-gender, once said, "it isn't my problem, it's everyone else's."
    I've spent my whole life feeling ashamed about being ABDL, but not anymore. More of us need to take stock of who we are and be comfortable with it for a change; we can't keep assuming ABDLism is a blight on our lives to be cured like a wart or the common-cold. I've got a lot of things I need to do in life before I write a PhD, but I urge you - in all seriousness - if you've got guts and a brain: give the idea a whirl! This community needs heroes, make us proud!

Perhaps one of the reasons for such little information on the topic is that many people living with infantilism are at peace with themselves and have achieved balance in their lives. If there aren't people who are looking for help from the psychological field or professionals willing to study it then we aren't likely to get a lot of attention.

I'm sure that there are some troubled people in any given lifestyle/kink/etc... however they are often troubled by things that are not related to their lifestyle/kink/etc as well.

I reckon you could extract an academic work from the myriad of experiences, thoughts and insights right here in ADISC.

Default Re: Is there any significant academic work on ABDLism?

Abdl is generally one thing that we share as a community. People here have very different backgrounds growing up. There's too many variations of life to come to an answer why the way we are. Some people may have had a hard life, but others have nothing to really complain about. Some people have dealt with bedwetting, and many have not.

Its very difficult to come up with one answer for abdl. We do look for answers to compare ourselves with others. Its not a mental disorder. Its not a physical disorder.

There's lots of people that wish to be young again, we just take it up a few levels.

Honestly, I don't think professionals are studying because they probably aren't ABDL... Don't assume there's no scope/interest; academia doesn't turn its eye like that. It does, however, move pretty slowly compared to, say, the Internet; and, lest we forget, the Internet has more-or-less enabled an ABDL community like never before. So suppose you were at peace and you wanted to help others out of the storm? We need a voice I think. Academia gives gravity to that.

Why? Well, let's draw a comparison: back in the 80s, gay men were only portrayed as comedy characters on the telly. 'ooh err, I thay!' etc. not good. But look at us right now - fodder for trashy disrespectful television. my sexuality is not here for the amusement of idiots. They can kiss it... I am not a Bizarre magazine centrefold. I am not a confused audience-bater on Jerry Springer or Jeremy Kyle or Trisha or any other stupid, nonsense-vision. I am not a freak. I am not a wierdo. None of us are. Dignity is a right!

Shouldn't we command some respect from what we're into? Ask yourself: If guy x wants to sleep with guy y, and girl a wants to be guy b, and society wants me to respect both of those individuals, why can't society respect the fact that part of me feels great being a 3/4 year-old? It doesn't harm anyone, it doesn't disrupt my life or cause me suffering, it's just a part of who I am. No, I'm not expecting widespread acceptance, but we can make progress can't we? Otherwise nothing changes...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    Abdl is generally one thing that we share as a community. People here have very different backgrounds growing up. There's too many variations of life to come to an answer why the way we are. Some people may have had a hard life, but others have nothing to really complain about. Some people have dealt with bedwetting, and many have not.

Its very difficult to come up with one answer for abdl. We do look for answers to compare ourselves with others. Its not a mental disorder. Its not a physical disorder.

There's lots of people that wish to be young again, we just take it up a few levels.
    you misunderstand, I'm not looking for an answer. queer theory/etc. aren't either. I'm looking for a way to begin to bring voices to all those people who don't feel they can speak about it (which must sound deeply pretentious, but give it a chance!) Adisc is a step in the right direction. We can do so much more!

I'm all for not being considered a freak to the public eye, but how would you or anyone go about doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    I reckon you could extract an academic work from the myriad of experiences, thoughts and insights right here in ADISC.
    without question, There's enough here for qualitative research for definites. I think the hard part would be finding the right kinds of academic references in the larger academe. We don't have an ABDList library of thinkers to fall back on so we'll have to start building the tools ourselves! So for example, yes some psychoanalysis (Lacan? Erikson? Freud - kind of can't escape him if you in anyway dabble with feminism), but also I'd consder framing it on the backdrop of the anti-psychiatry movement (Foucault for example), deconstruction (Derrida being the heavy weight), queer theory Judith Butler et al. some Gayatri Spivak maybe; an old favourite like Barthes (He really was extraordinary, The Pleasure of The Text is a mindblowing work...)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by camlilone View Post
    I'm all for not being considered a freak to the public eye, but how would you or anyone go about doing this?
    finding the right environment would be the first step, meeting with people who have faced similar struggles (for example, members of the transgender community, maybe acceptant members of disabled communities - there's a huge amount of research around disability and sexuality as it goes; lots still to be done there. many disabled individuals know all about being marginalised, belittled, de-sexualised, etc.) It would probably need to be someone in a liberal university town in a reasonably liberal country I would guess. Then, you'd need to Get the right supervisor through meetings and scrutiny and ensure that the research could be kept under wraps to an extent (ie. away from d*** heads in the right-wing media and any potentially narrow-minded individuals on the campus) - that might make presenting research quite difficult though I suppose you'd just have to cross that bridge as you went along...

It would be very cool to study this and develop a thesis, I'd do it but couldn't imagine exposing myself publicly in that way

Like I say, it would take a LOT of planning... I'm not suggesting we run out in the street and sing our praises for diapers or something! But if Harvey Milk had the balls to effectively just say 'ok, you know what, I'm gay and a politician. Get used to it', why can't we say something like that of ourselves?

Any of this sound familiar?

Harvey Milk Give Them Hope - YouTube

Default Re: Is there any significant academic work on ABDLism?

Ahhhh public acceptance?

Well first off people need to understand that we're not pedophiles. I think that if we could take that show that aired recently, called 15 stone baby, and show it to other international audiences. It really allows people to see who and what we are. It lets us explain who we are and not let assumptions dictate who we are.

As long as people stop trying to get people to live life like someone else. To live by rules of how we are expected to live is what promotes hate.