Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrestling gone from the Olympics

Default Wrestling gone from the Olympics

IOC Drops Wrestling From 2020 Olympics - ABC News

I can't begin to imagine why they'd do this. Arguably the oldest sport still contested. Statues, frescoes, carvings depicting it are thousands of years old.

Clearly the IOC has important body parts inserted where they don't belong.

Default Re: Wrestling gone from the Olympics

Hopefully this will be protested against.

I think the Olympics have finally made their mark as a "what can make money" organization.

Just as you have said, wrestling has been a part of the olympics before it expanded out of Greece. Wrestling is still a popular sport. I don't understand why they'll remove it. The olympics shouldn't be just about money or popularity.

I damn near spat out my coffee when I read about this this morning. We knew for months, nay, years that the IOC was planing to axe a sport in 2013. Nobody anywhere was expecting it to be Wrestling. The "favourite" for ever was Modern Pentathlon, with Taekwondo being considered a close second due to the terrible showing the sport had in 2008 (and since Karate was seen as a natural replacement). There was also a lot of rumbling about Badminton and Table Tennis being at risk, but not nearly to the level of the first two.

Why did it happen? The people from Wrestling didn't do any lobbying at all since they expect their sport was safe. I guarantee you this was a complete kick in the nuts for everyone involved in the FILA (International Amateur Wrestling Federation). None of them saw it coming. None of them where expecting it would be close. Meanwhile, the Modern Pentathlon people have been gearing up for this very day for literally years and the Taekwondo people have also lobbied hard (even the president of South Korea talked about the importance of having Taekwondo in the Olympics).

The only things that kind of make sense is that Wrestling occupies a lot of medal events (18) and a lot of athletes (~350), so eliminating it frees up the program considerably. Also Wrestling had 14 events for men versus only 4 for women, so by cutting Wrestling you reduce the gap between the number of men's and women's events by about 30%.

Still, the decision doesn't make a whole lot of sense (would have been more sensible to get rid of Greco-Roman but keep Freestyle). The two things are that the Wrestling people did zero lobbying and the fact that the vice president of the International Modern Pentathlon Union just so happens to be on the IOC's executive board...

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    Hopefully this will be protested against.

I think the Olympics have finally made their mark as a "what can make money" organization.

Just as you have said, wrestling has been a part of the olympics before it expanded out of Greece. Wrestling is still a popular sport. I don't understand why they'll remove it. The olympics shouldn't be just about money or popularity.
    Technically the IOC is a not for profit run by (mostly rich ) volunteers, so none of the decision makers actually see any of the sponsorship money. They are adding another sport in May (I think its May) to replace Wrestling, and Wrestling is one of the sport that will be considered. Frankly, the decision that would have made sense from a "making money" point of view would have been to axe Modern Pentathlon, Sailing or Shooting.

This is just terrible. Practically every culture has a wrestling tradition. Clear cronyism at work.

Default Re: Wrestling gone from the Olympics

There's got to be other, not as popular sports out there that they can remove instead of wrestling. Why would they remove it?

Do you think if they were to protest against the decision, would they reconsider? They have quite some time to "lobby" and try to get the decision nulled, I would think.

Gee, and just when I was missing the corrupt Soviet Union and East German judges for sports such as figure skating and gymnastics. Is anyone surprised what the Olympic committee does?

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    They are adding another sport in May (I think its May) to replace Wrestling, and Wrestling is one of the sport that will be considered.
    Please be chess, please be chess, please be chess!

Well posted, Near. I'm quoting you.....well just to say that I suppose you've analysed it correctly. If in fact you are correct, that only makes the situation more ludicrous than it is at first blush. And I needed an excuse to rant some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Why did it happen? The people from Wrestling didn't do any lobbying at all since they expect their sport was safe.
    Lobbying!?! Seriously?!!? Why would the FIRST sport need to lobby to continue in the ultimate celebration of sport?

Yes wrestling is the first and most basic sport. Two guys, no equipment, no sticks, no balls (shut up wiseasses....). Even in today's version, not much in the way of subjective judging. One guy forces the other guy into the submissive position (on his back) that transcends time and species. Both participants and everyone watching knows who got their ass kicked and who did the kicking.

How old is it? As old as recorded history. Older. It still happens in the ape house same as it did millions of years ago. Other species do it in various forms to compete for mates or food.

Running is the second sport. Sort of a consolation round for the losers to get away from a good ass kicking. Or a way to get the name of the winner to the King.

Say what you want about Greco-Roman vs. Freestyle, or not enough women. Details. Mere details. If you know anything about Greco, you recognize it in ancient sculpture. Cultural issues aside, you'll never have as many women in the sport from simple lack of interest. At least some of that is nature, not nurture. Killing a sport for lack of PC? Nearly as ludicrous as.... <fill in your pet phrase here>

One could make an argument that this could be the beginning of the end of the world. The straw that broke the camel's back. The one Olympic sport Iranians are good at is wrestling. Take that away, they have nothing left to live for. Might as well unleash the nukes.

Take away wrestling and the Olympics are dead to me. A TV with no broadcast content. A computer with no code. Valentine's day with no cards or chocolate. Let the boycott begin!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LaLoneDigi View Post
    This is just terrible. Practically every culture has a wrestling tradition. Clear cronyism at work.
    Something to think about here as well. Past history shows that IOC muckety mucks like being entertained, fawned over, and generally getting their asses kissed. Outright corruption? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    Last edited by Maxx; 13-Feb-2013 at 15:08.

IOC revenue sources:
    http://www.olympic.org/Global/Images/The%20IOC/Financing/market-en.jpg

it's distribution:
    http://www.olympic.org/Global/Images/The%20IOC/Financing/revenue-en.jpg

for the IOC, it's money for old rope as they get the lower/national elements to do all the 'work'. of course, those elements will have previously stumped up borrowed money for such priviledge.
    i think most people would view the whole affair as a complex arrangement of bribes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Please be chess, please be chess, please be chess!
    I would take chess over synchronized swimming.